Shooting in VA

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Shooting in VA

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

This is going to get played off as a single lunatic going rogue, but I'm worried it's a sign of a larger problem to come.
From the highest office down, this is the most divisive political climate I've seen. Zero desire for one side to even acknowledge the other's point of view. With the winning side (no matter which side wins or how narrow the margin) basically telling the losing side to "suck it Snowflakes", this shit is bound to happen. An us against them mentality as severe as we have right now is is bound to bring out the crazies on both sides.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Shooting in VA

Post by buckethead »

Agree. Wonder what the endgame is?

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Political discourse across America will now be marked with refined civility. Watch for it here.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

buckethead wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:50 pm Agree. Wonder what the endgame is?
martial law at the end of a hot, riotous summer.

nafod is detained.

trump wears gold-braided epaulets.

herv gets hired to lick his boots to a high shine.

many try to reassure themselves, murmuring, "at least it's not hillary."
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 pm This is going to get played off as a single lunatic going rogue, but I'm worried it's a sign of a larger problem to come.
From the highest office down, this is the most divisive political climate I've seen. Zero desire for one side to even acknowledge the other's point of view. With the winning side (no matter which side wins or how narrow the margin) basically telling the losing side to "suck it Snowflakes", this shit is bound to happen. An us against them mentality as severe as we have right now is is bound to bring out the crazies on both sides.
I disagree. I love all of you no matter how retarded and/or mentally ill you might be. Lets give more money to Dux.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

dead man walking wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 am martial law at the end of a hot, riotous summer.
DMW is arrested for allegations of kinky accounting at his agency. Accepts a plea bargain at some Club Fed to avoid hard time at Gladiator School.

As part of his Federal sentence he learns the value of honest labor. No more passing paper or shaping perception for him. He starts simple, grounds maintenance, then works his way to more responsible positions.

After rubbing shoulders with society's cast offs DMW learns the lunacy of compassion to people with short time preferences. Giving such people "assistance" is like giving a swimmer a concrete life vest. DMW works on the side helping convicts with their cases, helping the illiterate to read and write. Those who won't help themselves he kicks to the curb.

The experience of self help and empowering others knocks the shit out of his head. DMW learns that thrift, delaying gratification and self discipline are what separates the wheat from the chaff. He no longer blames "society" for evil. DMW accepts that market discipline can correct bad life habits.

DMW gets a robotics job after prison. Masters the repair and maintenance of Fast Food robots. Laughs at burger flippers who want "Fifteen for life". "Get a real job" he tells them. Best man in his group, leading the rest to better outcomes.

DMW - born again sensible.
Don't like yourself too much.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

One character, who possibly had emotional problems, went off. I don't blame Sanders, the Democrats or Rachel Maddow, etc. When Clinton blamed Rush Limbaugh for Tim McVeigh and the OKC bombing that was bullshit. Would be bullshit today.

I guess Congress people weren't carrying concealed. Hope that they take up the habit. They can get expert training. They should go for it.

Be nice if people figured out that murdering people doesn't accomplish any damn thing. Being able to defend oneself isn't posturing for murder, quite the opposite. A few people with guns shot back, end of a would be mass shooting.
Don't like yourself too much.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I read that several of them would normally be carrying, but as they had just come from D.C. and were planning to return immediately, they were unarmed.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

One thing is clearly, nothing's gonna get better till more angry people have more guns.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Thud wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:34 am One thing is clearly, nothing's gonna get better till more angry people have more guns.
Don't think you'd like option B.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/06/14/ ... ent-crime/
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Based on where he was when he was shooting and what he was shooting with, it sounds like the guy was a pretty lousy shot.

One of the worst injured was a lobbyist from Tyson Foods, out there helping the congressmen to prepare for the game.

A lobbyist. That just seems odd.
Don’t believe everything you think.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

Clearly what you guys need is more guns.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 pm This is going to get played off as a single lunatic going rogue, but I'm worried it's a sign of a larger problem to come.
It's absolutely a sign of a larger problem. Things were bad with Bush and maybe worse than that with Obama but the hysterical DemocratMediaComplex has amped the rhetoric to new heights. Violence has been tolerated, ignored, sometimes encouraged, and symbolically celebrated.

Since the right has no lack of screaming voices or maniacs to join in the fray, sunshine is not in the short term forecast.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

nafod wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:00 pm Based on where he was when he was shooting and what he was shooting with, it sounds like the guy was a pretty lousy shot.

The marksmanship and tactical proficiency I would expect from the typical Bernie voter.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I thinking of coming up with a baseball bat design that is also firearm.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

I'm just glad that none of you were among the 93m daily victims of gun violence in the US.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:23 pm
nafod wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:00 pm Based on where he was when he was shooting and what he was shooting with, it sounds like the guy was a pretty lousy shot.

The marksmanship and tactical proficiency I would expect from the typical Bernie voter.
Leftists are usually more of the bomb-making ilk.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:20 pm Since the right has no lack of screaming voices or maniacs to join in the fray, sunshine is not in the short term forecast.
it's important that you included that.

the left has no monopoly on excess and violence, as the citizens of portland, oregon will attest.

trump, who callously called mexicans rapists and encouraged his supporters to engage in vigilante justice, has to a considerable extent set the tone for political discourse today. he could set a new tone. i am not holding my breath.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Right after the shooting, when they announced his name, I went to his Facebook page (since taken down). While there were lots of tribal political posts about how great my dem guys are and how bad your Repubs are, if you just read the posts where he talked about actual policy and issues, you kind of realized that he had a lot of common ground with the core Trump voters. The political rantings could have gone the other way, and it would have made just as much sense.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

nafod wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:54 pm Right after the shooting, when they announced his name, I went to his Facebook page (since taken down). While there were lots of tribal political posts about how great my dem guys are and how bad your Repubs are, if you just read the posts where he talked about actual policy and issues, you kind of realized that he had a lot of common ground with the core Trump voters. The political rantings could have gone the other way, and it would have made just as much sense.
Oh yeah. Although he was a Trump-hater & Bernie voter, he had a lot in common with Trumpsters.

Let's blame the guns.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:03 pm
nafod wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:54 pm Right after the shooting, when they announced his name, I went to his Facebook page (since taken down). While there were lots of tribal political posts about how great my dem guys are and how bad your Repubs are, if you just read the posts where he talked about actual policy and issues, you kind of realized that he had a lot of common ground with the core Trump voters. The political rantings could have gone the other way, and it would have made just as much sense.
Oh yeah. Although he was a Trump-hater & Bernie voter, he had a lot in common with Trumpsters.
Well, yeah, he did. Drain the swamp type posts, bring back jobs, etc. Made me wonder how much of his anger was pure reflexive tribalism.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

nafod wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:10 pm pure reflexive tribalism.
doesn't that account for about 99% of the population's reactions 99% of the time.