Sous Vide rejuvenation thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I think we had a sous vide thread a few years ago, and at first I was skeptical about it. Soon after I am an absolute convert and the missionary spreading the word!

It opens up completely new ways of cooking food. For example, medium rare brisket that is falling apart. You smoke it on the barbecue first for 15 - 20 minutes. Then sous vide at 135 F for 48 hours. I don't think it is possible to cook to this consistency any other way. Especially with almost zero attention required.

Obviously, sous vide is just a tool and doesn't handle some things well. For example, cooking veggies in it is a waste of time for me. But a chicken breast at 150 F for two hours - soft and juicy without the risk of overcooking.

I buy whole filleted ocean salmon, cut it in pieces and throw them in the freezer. If you don't mind the headache you can brine the salmon for couple of hours beforehand, but from my experience it doesn't make much of a difference. One hour at 135 F or even lower, depending on how rare you like it - perfect poached salmon.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I generally sous vide steak and chicken as meal prep. If I go round steak for 24 hours it gets to a bit of a mushy consistency, but it's better than tough on the grill.

The other thing I like to do is egg bites...I've got a recipe for an egg bite that gives you about 24 g of protein and around 200 cals in a 1/2 pint jar.

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Shaf, you mind sharing a link? Or a recipe.