The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

The ability to call someone "Wimp" is definitely part of the XF draw. How else can you be 6'2" and 164 lbs and call someone a wimp?

Jason
Gunny

Post by Jason »

I know buddy, I'm just having fun.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

Shaf wrote:The ability to call someone "Wimp" is definitely part of the XF draw. How else can you be 6'2" and 164 lbs and call someone a wimp?
Funnily enough it's the same reason I whore out my arse to upwards of fifteen truck drivers a night at the M6 service station outside Penrith. Well, that and money.

You can't take fifteen big ones up the shitter? What are you? A fucking gayer or something? 'Oooh it hurts my ring'. Get over it soft-lad.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

sorry, I have a disease which makes me say stupid shit..

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Post by Renegade Doughboy »

odin wrote:sorry, I have a disease which makes me say stupid shit..
Do you know Gavin?

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Renegade Doughboy wrote:
odin wrote:sorry, I have a disease which makes me say stupid shit..
Do you know Gavin?
It sounds like they might have worked together.

marks

Post by marks »

I'd like to see a MMA fight between an xfitter and some other elite system representative, for example the CST (or is that elite?). After that, on the same day, a competition featuring a selected workout from each system. Then we would know who's TRULY elite.
Last edited by marks on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Training log
Norman U. Senchbau wrote:You have consistently shown yourself to be a hand-wringing, fence-riding, prevaricating Buridan's ass dying of thirst between two pitchers of Kool-Aid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Jason wrote:elrodjr,

Yes acceleration does matter because:

Work = Force x Distance

Force = Mass x Acceleration.

if you change the Acceleration portion of that equation than the Force will be different which would make the Work also different.
Bzzzzzzzzzt!!

'Scuse me while I whip out my calculus...

Work = the dot product of force with the direction of motion integrated over the whole path. With a constant force (and ONLY a constant force) that points along the path (and ONLY if it points directly along the path) it is equal to Force x Distance. Physics with training wheels. That ain't the case here.

But we are in luck. Because the work done on an object is also equal to the change in it's kinetic and potential energy. Since the pulluper is motionless at the bottom and top (even if only for a moment) the work is just equal to the change in potential energy, which is roughly...

Work_of_pullup = Weight_of_your_fat_ass X length_of_your_arms
Don’t believe everything you think.

Jason
Gunny

Post by Jason »

Now you're even getting too silly for me.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Jason wrote:Now you're even getting too silly for me.
Wikipedia sez...

[img:127:42]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/4/3/ ... 846f63.png[/img]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_work

My mission: to take this thread where no IronGarm thread has ever gone before...

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Once again, you can only apply classical physics to biomechanics in the most rudimentary way.

You can measure gross forces, true, but whether you should waste your time doing it is very questionable.

Jason
Gunny

Post by Jason »

Nafod,

Let's talk about how none of this eqauls Work because there isn't any displacement.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/energy/U5L1a.html

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Shaf wrote:Once again, you can only apply classical physics to biomechanics in the most rudimentary way.

You can measure gross forces, true, but whether you should waste your time doing it is very questionable.
Actually, my point was I am not really caring about the particulars of the forces. You're right, going down that path leads into all kinds of difficulties with biomechanics. But measuring work and power versus VO2...there is a large body of research that shows you can relate them. Most of these focus on aerobic power, but still the relations apply, and the relations are based on simple, classical physics. To requote Ross's quote

Below the level at which a sustained increase in [lactate]b was observed pulmonary VO2 showed a linear relationship with power output; at high power outputs, however, there was an additional increase in VO2 above that expected from the extrapolation of that linear relationship, leading to a positive curvilinear VO2-power output relationship

What is interesting is researchers are just now starting to model non-constant power output work, i.e., interval training. It would be interesting research to see if the average power output in a high rep oly lift series directly correlates with VO2 also. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Jason, you raise a valid point about the total work done in a cycle. I don't know the answer other than that I know muscles can't store or recoup the energy available on the way down. So just drop off the bar and reset each rep, same as dropping a barbell after each rep. That removes the issue.

szczepan
Gunny

Post by szczepan »

do any of you faggots ever put the physics textbook down long enough to train?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Macacawitz wrote:do any of you faggots ever put the physics textbook down long enough to train?
Ever seen how heavy a physics book is?

Topic author
bill fox

Post by bill fox »

Macacawitz wrote:do any of you faggots ever put the physics textbook down long enough to train?
=D>
"my body stayin' vicious, I be up in the gym, just workin' on my fitness"

Fergie

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Jason wrote:Now you're even getting too silly for me.
Prediction: this silliness of this entire thread should get it to 100K by Presidents' Day, Easter at the latest.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

bill fox wrote:
=D>
Finally, a short sentence for Bill.

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

Can I get 50 pages?
?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Hagbard Celine wrote:Can I get 50 pages?
No

Edit: Me neither

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

bill fox wrote:
=D>
I've found this physics discussion very interesting but I also assumed those involved were capable of doing one-armed pullups while holding said physics textbook in the free hand.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

it's official - this thread has lost its momentum. Too bad - it was fun while it lasted.

I don't have any real opinion pro or con re: crossfit (well, I do think they are misguided in their "train to do everything at once" philosophy, and I think most of their proponents are going to be hurting cowpokes by the time they reach 40+ (years old, that is) but so what ?

I'll just hijack this thread and wish all you fucktards a happy post-Thanksgiving Friday.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Topic author
bill fox

Post by bill fox »

Lemon

I thought you would understand this is Taoist thread. It does not proceed in a linear fashion but ebbs and flows like nature itself. Like nature, Couch's rage will rise up and thrust upon us another revelation; kettlebells don't build power, kipping pullups are exactly 2x as good as regular, and such. At such time as the Tao requires the thread will swell once again like the ocean.

Peace
"my body stayin' vicious, I be up in the gym, just workin' on my fitness"

Fergie

Post by ___________ »

The HIV has got Glassman down right now.
The meds are smacking that out on the floor.
No worries, NAFOD the Dilrod is taking over for Glassman, he's just got to find himself a fairy to pass him the bug, & he's set.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

bill fox wrote:Lemon

I thought you would understand this is Taoist thread. It does not proceed in a linear fashion but ebbs and flows like nature itself. Like nature, Couch's rage will rise up and thrust upon us another revelation; kettlebells don't build power, kipping pullups are exactly 2x as good as regular, and such. At such time as the Tao requires the thread will swell once again like the ocean.

Peace
I bow to the wisdom of the master.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man