The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Re: The couch thread

Post by Mountebank »

All this for 75#...

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads »

The t-shirt is finally in a photo, but now we need to see a few Andro Babes wearing them in newer photos. =D>
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

The Gorilla thinks he can do better than that. Stay tuned.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Post by ... »

Last edited by ... on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Interesting point with regards to Starrett's Mobility WOD. Which I like, by the way, but it's something I'd noticed too. I do wonder what the stupidest crossfit exercise is, though.

In the comments about the SDHP being the second gayest, most useless Crossfit exercise at Whole9.
Thanks for the link. Mr Starrett is a smart dude, but keep in mind that he’s presenting a way to continue to do SDHPs by making them “less bad” (remember, he works for and supports CrossFit HQ). I don’t dig “less bad”. I don’t see the transferability of SDHP to, well, anything else.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Sumo high pull. Just about as dumb as it gets.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I have a difficult time ranking the stupidest XF movements.

The kipping pull up is up there.
The sumo DL high pull is 1 or 2. The thruster is ranked either right above or right below.

The med ball clean is a running joke that give couch the rummy and maryjane snickers.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I have a difficult time ranking the stupidest XF movements.

The kipping pull up is up there.
The sumo DL high pull is 1 or 2. The thruster is ranked either right above or right below.

The med ball clean is a running joke that give couch the rummy and maryjane snickers.
I argued about the SDHP when I went to my L1 and they said, "its just another tool in the box".....

after saying about the lack of transferability of it, the problems with the movement and the rotator cuff (upright rows anyone) and the stupidity of using a movement like that to increase work capacity, that is the answer I got.

the medball clean is just a joke

kreator

Post by kreator »

Ash Uber Alles wrote: I argued about the SDHP when I went to my L1 and they said, "its just another tool in the box".....
Well they contradict themselves yet again, since it's one of the 9 Foundational Movements, or whatever. How can it be foundational and just another tool in the box at the same time?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

kreator wrote:
Ash Uber Alles wrote: I argued about the SDHP when I went to my L1 and they said, "its just another tool in the box".....
Well they contradict themselves yet again, since it's one of the 9 Foundational Movements, or whatever. How can it be foundational and just another tool in the box at the same time?
The bottom line is that they can't teach people how to clean or snatch a barbell. Which is sad. Even if they just did hang power cleans or hang power snatches, or a kettlebell swing. Something not retarded. They have enough bars and kettlebells, they made us do Fran and some stupid KB SDHP workout. I think they were just trying to give us rhabdo and those movements could be done over and over and over again. In the blazing sun, with no air conditioning, in 95 degree heat . . . Fucking retarded.

A hang power snatch is really not hard to teach at all.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

syaigh wrote:In the blazing sun, with no air conditioning, in 95 degree heat .
Sounds like lovely fall weather round these parts.

Yes, I'm drunk

Post by Yes, I'm drunk »

Last edited by Yes, I'm drunk on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kreator

Post by kreator »

Apologize ahead of time for me feeling sorry for myself, I will try to keep this very short.

I am in the Navy and was stationed in San Diego. Aboslutely loved it there. I had been crossfitting for about 2-3 years and in good shape. I decided to take a shot at the dive community.

About one week before my report date to dive prep the workout came up, 3 rounds for time, 10 45# DB thrusters, 30 GHD sit ups. I was slightly worried about the GHDs but had done them before, not in this volume. My girlfriend in attendance I decided to go for the WOD RX'd.

One day passes and i'm fine, day two hits and wow... I have never been this sore in my life. My entire core was so intensely sore that sitting back in a chair hurt. This would be the case for a full week and i was still slightly sore for just over two.

Long story short I show up to dive and when it comes time to do sit ups for our physical test I get to about 25 and my abs give out, i cannot do another sit up. I fail test one and have one week before test two. If i fail test two I am done. Test two comes, i get 28 and can't get up for another. I'm done.

My girlfriend of almost a year, car, household goods are all still in San Diego and before I can even talk to someone I have a new set of orders to Jacksonville, NC. I am currently finishing up a school here and will be staying here for the next two years. I still have not been able to get my car or household goods. I have to fly back on my dime to get them. Oh and while i'm there I get to say bye to my girlfriend.

Careful with GHDs.
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=61799

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Illustrates precisely why an operator SHOULDN'T DO @F

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Jesus fuck. This is a perfect of example of someone being TOO STUPID to be a soldier.

How awesome would it be if the LEO or first responder was too fucked up from his workout to do his fucking job.

Just for shits and giggles, I did 40 sit ups just now.

Danny John
Gunny

Post by Danny John »

The "another tool" in the tool box thing is something that gets me. It is tossed off like we all have this little perfect system that we can just look at someone and reach into our exercise kit and fix the issue. "Ah, you need Contralateral Flies." To be able to use exercises, reps, sets, programs and everything else, you have to have a system to put the tools into the right, well, the metaphor is failing me...but using the right tool for the purpose. Pavel has that great line: If all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail."

To be honest, it isn't so much what you add, it is what you toss out of your training. You know, I think I have it pretty locked down when it comes to providing guidance for people's goals (if you have a goal that is pretty clear, I can help you with some lifting and stuff that will support it).

Every second you spend doing something stupid in training...or something that will hurt you...is really going to catch up to you. This guy wants to be Seal or whatever and blows himself apart with really a poor exercise choice for nearly everyone. (Spend the money and buy a reverse hyper or learn a good swing...or whatever, I don't care)

Without a system, a chart or guide, you find these people just adding more and more and more "things" to their training without any study about what works or what doesn't work. Then, there are the stunning injury rates which, in perfect honesty, I am thankful because I end up with more work that pays well.

Great coaching is knowing what not to do.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Danny John wrote:The "another tool" in the tool box thing is something that gets me. It is tossed off like we all have this little perfect system that we can just look at someone and reach into our exercise kit and fix the issue. "Ah, you need Contralateral Flies." To be able to use exercises, reps, sets, programs and everything else, you have to have a system to put the tools into the right, well, the metaphor is failing me...but using the right tool for the purpose. Pavel has that great line: If all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail."

To be honest, it isn't so much what you add, it is what you toss out of your training. You know, I think I have it pretty locked down when it comes to providing guidance for people's goals (if you have a goal that is pretty clear, I can help you with some lifting and stuff that will support it).

Every second you spend doing something stupid in training...or something that will hurt you...is really going to catch up to you. This guy wants to be Seal or whatever and blows himself apart with really a poor exercise choice for nearly everyone. (Spend the money and buy a reverse hyper or learn a good swing...or whatever, I don't care)

Without a system, a chart or guide, you find these people just adding more and more and more "things" to their training without any study about what works or what doesn't work. Then, there are the stunning injury rates which, in perfect honesty, I am thankful because I end up with more work that pays well.

Great coaching is knowing what not to do.
I've learned over the years that simple always works....

Why fuck up a good program by doing too much?

Anal CumDumpster

Post by *** »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Jesus fuck. This is a perfect of example of someone being TOO STUPID to be a soldier.

How awesome would it be if the LEO or first responder was too fucked up from his workout to do his fucking job.

Just for shits and giggles, I did 40 sit ups just now.

The institute gets a lot of e-mails from soldiers and one theme is recurring. The soliders that do CF are the ones resupplying paper products back at HQ not the guys seeing real action. I hear this a lot from guys including my deceased cousin that was killed in action. Certain guys fight and others stay on base and dance backwards. The dancers do CF. At least this is what I am told. Either way I could care less because I don't support the "war" or the troops and CFer are nothing but a bunch of ass munchers and butt pirates that hardly register a yawn from me these days.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The One True Rant wrote:[The institute gets a lot of e-mails from soldiers and one theme is recurring. The soliders that do CF are the ones resupplying paper products back at HQ not the guys seeing real action. I hear this a lot from guys including my deceased cousin that was killed in action. Certain guys fight and others stay on base and dance backwards. The dancers do CF. At least this is what I am told. Either way I could care less because I don't support the "war" or the troops and CFer are nothing but a bunch of ass munchers and butt pirates that hardly register a yawn from me these days.
I saw the knuckle-dragging snake eaters doing Xfit, Gym Jones, and hybrid workouts from the same vein. Rangers, pilots, Navy, Army, USAF. These were not REMFs.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Rant, like Garm, is a liar.

However, XF is fucking stupid for anyone who has to be ready at a moment's notice.

theoverman
Staff Sergeant

Post by theoverman »

I saw the knuckle-dragging snake eaters doing Xfit, Gym Jones, and hybrid workouts from the same vein. Rangers, pilots, Navy, Army, USAF. These were not REMFs.[/quote]

these types could do jazzercise and still be freaks.
riff raff fanclub president

Anal CumDumpster

Post by *** »

nafod wrote:
The One True Rant wrote:[The institute gets a lot of e-mails from soldiers and one theme is recurring. The soliders that do CF are the ones resupplying paper products back at HQ not the guys seeing real action. I hear this a lot from guys including my deceased cousin that was killed in action. Certain guys fight and others stay on base and dance backwards. The dancers do CF. At least this is what I am told. Either way I could care less because I don't support the "war" or the troops and CFer are nothing but a bunch of ass munchers and butt pirates that hardly register a yawn from me these days.
I saw the knuckle-dragging snake eaters doing Xfit, Gym Jones, and hybrid workouts from the same vein. Rangers, pilots, Navy, Army, USAF. These were not REMFs.

You could be right. This is what has been reported to Rant. Like I said I could care less either way. Fuck the war. Fuck the troops. Fuck the police and fuck the firefighters. They aren't volunteering. They all get paid and there's a reason they make less than I do.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

theoverman wrote: these types could do jazzercise and still be freaks.
Word.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

I'd love to hear a voice mail between our resident illeists, Rant and WGM.

tzg
Gunny

Post by tzg »

Gin Master wrote:I'd love to hear a voice mail between our resident illeists, Rant and WGM.
tzg would like to hear it, too.