The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

So Jean and Couch are an item......Damn who knew!?
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

They deserve eachother.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

This could be the most awesome question ever asked on the Crossfit board.
On a serious note, do we have any evidence that prehistoric man smoked weed? I'm guessing they were unaware that it could be smoked, but I wonder if they came across it at all in their travels.

Just asking from an evolutionary standpoint.

Thanks.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

There is a lot of evidence that prehistoric man used Cannabis sativa in China in the 6th century BC, and perhaps long before that.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Fat Cat wrote:There is a lot of evidence that prehistoric man used Cannabis sativa in China in the 6th century BC, and perhaps long before that.
Is this carbonized seeds, or what?

GDG!
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Remains from excavations. That much I recall. I can't recall if it was rope or what though. "Sativa" means "useful".

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Aight, I put on my pith helmet...

Most info about vegetable matter comes from carbonized remains, esp. seeds, found in fire pits (which is why it doesn't decay.) Cellulose (like your rope) can survive thousands of years as long as it's in a dry cave or similar.

Oh, never mind the speculation; I found this fascinating page:

http://cannabis.net/hist/index.html

So it's all of the above: rope prints, hemp cloth, and charred seeds, from various areas and times.

GDG!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

PaleoHighFit
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
bill fox

Post by bill fox »

Todays absolutely ridiculous pronouncment:

"The push-up's little recognized yet chief value is development of core strength which for the purposes of our program we've defined as "mid-line stabilization". Very few people can perform full range push-ups without deformations of posture."

Note that says "chief value".
"my body stayin' vicious, I be up in the gym, just workin' on my fitness"

Fergie

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I found this statement to be, not only ridiculous, but indicative of how often high school athletes' training is observed.
Very few people can perform full range push-ups without deformations of posture."

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

Mid-line stabilization is critical on a Totalgym.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Shaf wrote:I found this statement to be, not only ridiculous, but indicative of how often high school athletes' training is observed.
Very few people can perform full range push-ups without deformations of posture."
Twenty years of watching Navy PRTs tells me he has a point.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I bet there's well over 100 people on this message board who can do a push up without deformation.

So, shove that up your ass.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Shaf wrote:I bet there's well over 100 people on this message board who can do a push up without deformation.

Congrats, Shaf. But this is a pretty small, self-selected group compared to the rest of the folks in the universe. News flash: Most people aren't so passionate about fitness that they are ready to neck rape someone over whether or not a KB swing generates explosive power as compared to a BB snatch. In fact, I bet a hell of a lot of people work out so they can do stuff, not as an end in and of itself to be stared and poked at and argued about ad infinitum.

I'll say it again. 20+ years of collegiate ball and AOCS and mil training with PT and regular PRTs and working out in gyms tells me pushup form is usually not what it should be.

metatron
Private

Post by metatron »

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

nafod wrote:I'll say it again. 20+ years of collegiate ball and AOCS and mil training with PT and regular PRTs and working out in gyms tells me pushup form is usually not what it should be.
If you spent 20+ years in college, you should have learned that the pushup is not a great core developer.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Pushups can be a core developer if you do them like

RON MORRIS JACKKNIFE STYLIO MOTHERFUCKERS! ON A MOTHERFUCKIN' HARLEY! WEARIN' CAMO AND SLEEVELESS SHIRTS! ROLLIN' WITH THE STRAIGHT EDGE CREW!

Nafod, I'll give you this: In sets of lots of pushups, you see degradation towards the end of the set. In populations that are weak, you probably see shitty fucking pushups all over, however, in the population that Crossfit is supposed to be training, there better not be bad pushups unless fatigue has set in, and, in that case, you might as well terminate the set.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Shaf wrote: Nafod, I'll give you this: In sets of lots of pushups, you see degradation towards the end of the set. In populations that are weak, you probably see shitty fucking pushups all over, however, in the population that Crossfit is supposed to be training, there better not be bad pushups unless fatigue has set in, and, in that case, you might as well terminate the set.
Well, I think that is the point. He's coaching people to attend to their form in the pushup.

I remember spending what seemed like hours doing pushups while Gunny Holtry USMC walked up and down pointing out why we sucked. Rest position was at the top, of course. And it did not take long before bellies were dragging or asses were flying high, as everyone's cores collapsed just trying to hold the plank position. The guys doing this were in shape too.

In a military PRT, you have two minutes to do a max number of pushups with resting allowed at the top. Try it and you'll see that holding a strict pushup position for two minutes is non-trivial for most.

Also, you do situps immediately before pushups in the PRT. If you shoot your wad on the situps, so to speak, it kills your pushups.

So while I don't do pushups solely or primarily for the core work, it is definitely there. In fact, I think the PRT should have them do bodybuilders.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Pavel's got lots of PU variations in Bulletproof Abs.

GDG!

Topic author
bill fox

Post by bill fox »

nafod wrote:
Shaf wrote: Nafod, I'll give you this: In sets of lots of pushups, you see degradation towards the end of the set. In populations that are weak, you probably see shitty fucking pushups all over, however, in the population that Crossfit is supposed to be training, there better not be bad pushups unless fatigue has set in, and, in that case, you might as well terminate the set.
Well, I think that is the point. He's coaching people to attend to their form in the pushup.
No, he's saying pushups are chiefly a core drill. This is bullshit. Like trying to say the path of a KB snatch won't build power because he can't do KBs like DD, so he'll say what he does is actually better, not just different, or has certain advantages etc....

How about taking a Gym Jones approach - when doing any WOD only count pushups done with the body perfectly straight.

The statement is bullshit, but feel free to say that's not what he was really saying.
"my body stayin' vicious, I be up in the gym, just workin' on my fitness"

Fergie

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Quality is important...in most cases it's more important than quantity. However, you need to understand when it is, and when it isn't.

However, I'd take a shitty looking 700 lb deadlift over a beautiful 400 lb deadlift any day.

On the other hand, in an ab contest, Mr. Foxy's defined six pack would handily beat my pony keg.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I agree with Bill on this one.

When you pushup to absolute failure without resorting to the "Front Leaning Rest/Plank," which fails first: tris/front delts/pecs, or core?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

DBID
Sgt. Major

Post by DBID »

The best thing one can do is ignore the cult-like stupidity that is Crossfit.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

bill fox wrote:
nafod wrote:
No, he's saying pushups are chiefly a core drill.
You're a lawyer? Your statement and mine aren't mutually exclusive. And besides, to be precise what he said was, "The push-up's little recognized yet chief value is development of core strength..."
How about taking a Gym Jones approach - when doing any WOD only count pushups done with the body perfectly straight.

Sounds good to me.
The statement is bullshit, but feel free to say that's not what he was really saying.
I think the statement is far from being bullshit, and for a hell of a lot of people, they stand as much to gain as far as learning to hold full body tension by doing pushups with precise correct form as they do from the upper body aspect. Otherwise they should plop their ass on a bench and do presses. Pavel's one arm/one leg push ups take it to the extreme. Push ups with rings hammer the full body tension home too.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote: When you pushup to absolute failure without resorting to the "Front Leaning Rest/Plank," which fails first: tris/front delts/pecs, or core?
If you are trying to max the rep counts of pushups, you're going to go fast and the arms/chest will go first. If you are trying to max the number of pushups done in a time span (military PRT), that flips things around.