The future of the AR-15

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Schlegel

The future of the AR-15

Post by Schlegel »

What do you guys think? The hate in the media is so thick you could cut it with a knife. Like this piece:http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/0 ... g_and.html which claims that AR-15s are simultaneously too weak to hunt with, long and clumsy inside buildings, but far too powerful for civilians. exactly why a clumsy, overpenetrating rifle would be the tool of choice for SWAT and hostage rescue teams entering and clearing buildings is not addressed. I guess the laws of physics are different for those guys.

I'm also seeing dubious claims like "less than 30% of households own a firearm." What this really means is less than 30% of people are willing to tell an anonymous stranger on a phone that they own a gun. Some polls put it around 45%, but of course the lowest one is what sees the publicity.

The astounding lying about the 2nd Amendment and court precedent is really ramping up, too. Like "The Miller case means you have to be in a militia to have a right to own guns."

The media frenzy is so great it's even panicked my elderly mother, who is now posting on FB wondering why anyone needs these scary death machines.

So... the calls for a ban (which, be honest, everybody knows is useless without confiscation) are obvious this time. Anybody want to take bets on the result?
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: The future of the AR-15

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Schlegel wrote:What do you guys think....... Anybody want to take bets on the result?

The price of an AR will go up.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Certainly, to some extent, but they're already the most popular rifle in America, made by dozens of manufacturers. Production capacity is way higher than even 3,4, years ago. Pretty sure they can ramp up the machinery even more.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

After Connecticut, and the ensuing social media wars ( in which I axed several friends permanently for their retarded diatribes,) I would have guessed a nationwide mag ban or black gun tax was coming. This latest round is too complicated. It's not a gun issue, it's not just a terrorism isssue...it's LGBT all over it...I think..

Nothing happens...depite the shrillness all around, the people who matter are coming to realize banning shit doesn't work and you can forget about confiscation...we may be faced with doing some actual science and look at actual demographics. My gut tells me, this could get better instead of worse...regardless of the AR.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Schlegel wrote:What do you guys think....... Anybody want to take bets on the result?

The price of an AR will go up.
Gun sales will skyrocket... again.

Boris

Post by Boris »

With all due respect to everyone here, it IS a gun issue (of course it is also more than just a gun issue).

Whether a ban would work or not is irrelevant - a ban will never happen.

DO many people hunt w. AR-15s? I suppose some people do, but I know a lot of hunters and none of them hunt w. an AR-15.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

if i was hunting wild pigs, besides a .357 sidearm, the AR-15 would be my rifle of choice. Especially in brush.

i really like it and have carried one a lot. i am getting one. Because Obama and his tolerance for Jihad. In a perfect world i would not need to carry a gun. i don't hunt so i do not need firearms except for personal protection. But we are far from perfect in the world.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Boris

Post by Boris »

Just curious questions here because I don't know ballistics, but what is the advantage of an AR-15 in home defense vs., for example, a pistol w. a higher capacity magazine? lights and sights and accuracy? Is overpenetration NOT an issue w. rifles for home defense?

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Boris wrote:With all due respect to everyone here, it IS a gun issue (of course it is also more than just a gun issue).

Whether a ban would work or not is irrelevant - a ban will never happen.

DO many people hunt w. AR-15s? I suppose some people do, but I know a lot of hunters and none of them hunt w. an AR-15.

Any one who brings hunting into this needs to shut his cocksucker, because he is buying into a cunt's argument and that nonsense is new school, let fucking children speak thinking.

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting, never has been.

An AR-15 is for killing men, strait up. it's made to put a 5.56 hole in the front and a bigger one out the back.It's a good gun, a lot of people like it. It's the blaster of the Empire, good to have one.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Inside a house, if it's my house with my family, i would not use it. It would be great for any threat outside the house and if things get fucking shitty, like during Andrew and Katrina.

It is a damn good small game gun and you can kill deer with it, some areas wont let you hunt with them, other will.
If you are the kind of guy who can pretty reliably hit them in the brain, spine or heart, than it's ok, if not, your an asshole hunting with it.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Boris wrote:Just curious questions here because I don't know ballistics, but what is the advantage of an AR-15 in home defense vs., for example, a pistol w. a higher capacity magazine? lights and sights and accuracy? Is overpenetration NOT an issue w. rifles for home defense?
I think this info can be found in one of the gun threads on IGx, but .223 hollowpoint ammo is not nearly as penetrate-y as you might think. Some handgun ammo and even 12 ga. buckshot can penetrate more deeply. IIRC

For home defense, a lightweight, moderately powered rifle (AR-15, for one) can be quite effective. Compared to almost any handgun, it fires a faster, lighter bullet with much greater accuracy and far less recoil.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

The lack of penetration in the 55gr round is the reason for the 62 gr. penetrator round. The original round actually goes through fewer layers of sheet rock than a 9mm pistol round. It'll go through a tougher single layer, but tumbles and degrades fast on multiple light obstructions.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

As a journalist, I've had a few folks who didn't like what I wrote. And said they wanted to kill me. Some of those folks were in cults, meaning there were a lot of them and they were zealots. I have a bunch of semi-autos.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

seeahill wrote:As a journalist, I've had a lot of readers (most of them) who didn't like what I wrote. And said they wanted to kill me and burn down my cabin. Some of those folks were in cults, meaning there were a lot of them and they were zealots. But most of them were just ordinary folks who hated my shitty writing. I have a bunch of semi-autos. And body armor. And private security. And five Dire Wolves. And Claymore mines surrounding my cabin.
Oh, and a C-130 Gunship doing orbits overhead.
Have I mentioned that a lot of readers hate me?
Fixed.

W.B. Yeats

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

As I sit on my front porch cleaning my M4 and contemplating the shithole my town has become I realized that the blacks and Mexicans are more afraid of the sound of a shotgun than a rifle...but muslims piss themselves.

If my family is behind me fuck overpenetration. but I will leave a trail of bodies stacked and slit up. If you think this is a hate crime against gays youre stupid. If you think its a gun issue same thing.

Its an Islam issue.

Islam is ISIS is Islam
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Boris

Post by Boris »

tough old man wrote:If my family is behind me fuck overpenetration. but I will leave a trail of bodies stacked and slit up. If you think this is a hate crime against gays youre stupid. If you think its a gun issue same thing.

Its an Islam issue.

Islam is ISIS is Islam
I disagree with you, but I don't think you are stupid. I wish I saw things so clearly black and white, truly.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

tough old man wrote:As I sit on my front porch cleaning my M4 and contemplating the shithole my town has become I realized that the blacks and Mexicans are more afraid of the sound of a shotgun than a rifle...but muslims piss themselves.

If my family is behind me fuck overpenetration. but I will leave a trail of bodies stacked and slit up. If you think this is a hate crime against gays youre stupid. If you think its a gun issue same thing.

Its an Islam issue.

Islam is ISIS is Islam
Was the Sandy Hook asshole a Muslim? The Colorado psycho?

AR's are super-fun, they just turn random assholes into super-killers.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

You mean two mentally disturbed people who shouldn't have had access to a weapon? I agree that's a tragedy.
However to allow a political ideology like islam to invade our borders is stupid and will do far more damage in the long run. Lets put bets on how London looks in a few years. Or Paris. You think Chicago is bad now? The shit show hasn't even run the opening credits.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Guns, whether AR's, shotguns, revolvers or pistols, are all tools. As effective the tool can be for good, so can it be used for evil.
Constitutional arguments aside, the Gov't should be very careful to not disarm good people and tip the balance in favor of the evil ones.

Notice who had the gun in the Gun Free Zone? And who was disarmed?

And who has the Lion's Share of guns in Chicago?

W.B. Yeats

DPR

Post by DPR »

TOM,
Have you seen this site?
https://www.understandingthethreat.com

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DPR wrote:TOM,
Have you seen this site?
John Guandolo? He's the shitcanned FBI agent who was banging a witness while undercover? And married? Where do we get such men of character and integrity?
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/09/post_4.html
FBI agent resigns

Guandolo resigned from the FBI on or about Dec. 1, before the bureau's Office of Professional Responsibility could question him about his sexual liaisons with Mody, as well as with women FBI agents, relationships detailed in a document Guandolo had prepared.

FBI spokesmen at the Washington, D.C., field office and at national headquarters said Friday that they could not comment on personnel matters. William Carter of the FBI National Press Office said he had brought the question of why the FBI did not pass along what they knew about Guandolo to the federal court, to the FBI's Office of General Counsel for their review.

On Friday, Guandolo declined to go beyond a statement he gave to the FBI on June 7, in which he expressed his "deep remorse" for his sexual relationship with Mody, and his hope that it wouldn't damage the case against Jefferson.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

nafod wrote:
DPR wrote:TOM,
Have you seen this site?
John Guandolo? He's the shitcanned FBI agent who was banging a witness while undercover? And married? Where do we get such men of character and integrity?
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/09/post_4.html
FBI agent resigns

Guandolo resigned from the FBI on or about Dec. 1, before the bureau's Office of Professional Responsibility could question him about his sexual liaisons with Mody, as well as with women FBI agents, relationships detailed in a document Guandolo had prepared.

FBI spokesmen at the Washington, D.C., field office and at national headquarters said Friday that they could not comment on personnel matters. William Carter of the FBI National Press Office said he had brought the question of why the FBI did not pass along what they knew about Guandolo to the federal court, to the FBI's Office of General Counsel for their review.

On Friday, Guandolo declined to go beyond a statement he gave to the FBI on June 7, in which he expressed his "deep remorse" for his sexual relationship with Mody, and his hope that it wouldn't damage the case against Jefferson.
Did you vote for Bill Clinton?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Ad Hominems in the thread about gunz...How Droll.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Bought a couple magazines today. Nothing appears to be selling out like crazy.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Neither side wants to deal with reality.

Liberals are ignorant of guns - this is a regional issue, liberals tend to come from urban areas and regions where gun ownership is either lower or not seen as a hobby. I've met relatively few southern or southwestern liberals with the same ignorance of guns - even if they favor more gun control they're less abjectly terrified of them. Ignorance leads to cosmetic bans and magazine limits that do absolutely nothing.

On the gun culture side, the standard "it's just like <Grandpa's duck shotgun/deer rifle/etc.>" wears thin. Semi-auto pistols and rifles are better than bolt actions and revolvers outside of a few specific circumstances. That's why every military on Earth uses some variation on the intermediate-caliber select-fire rifle and every sidearm is a semi-auto pistol. You don't need to bullshit to win the argument against liberals.

Both sides panic about the noteworthy rather than the commonplace - making all the guns in America disappear with magic would be less effective at curbing violence than an immediate cessation of the war on drugs. Rending your garments about the scary Mohammedans next door does far less than a foreign policy that doesn't involve destabilizing regions and propping up oppressive regimes for decades on end, fostering ill will and resentment.