Ultra Processed Foods

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Ultra Processed Foods

Post by lenny »

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Ultra Processed Foods

Post by Bram »

“The average American adult gets more than 60% of their calories from ultra-processed foods.”

I’ve had personal training clients that fall in this group, which I’ve talked about here. Getting them to chill out on guzzling that shit is like trying to separate a momma bear from their cub. A guy told me he’d rather die than stop eating junk food.

Good share, Lenny!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Ultra Processed Foods

Post by lenny »

I don't eat any of that stuff and rarely did. My friend from high school who was in an old age home, fell and hit his head about a month ago is lucky to be in a nursing home and getting physical therapy. The doctors were sure he'd die then when he was on a ventilator. He was a decent athlete in high school having been on the junior varsity football and baseball teams and could have played varsity until he quit in a school of 3,000 of grades 10-12.

He was never thin but sure wasn't fat. Somehow he ballooned up to probably 370 pounds. I hadn't seen him in years when he visited me and needed oxygen and could barely get out of his car. That was probably in 2010 when he was in his early 60s. I went into complete shock. He told me he could easily loose 100 pounds at one point in his life, but that became impossible. He blamed his weight gain on the chemicals put into foods that made them addictive. It sounded crazy to me, until I read about it some years ago. He had bariatric surgery which didn't result in much weight loss. He hated the food in the nursing home and said he weighed 295 pounds. He has had so many medical problems including testicular cancer, heart attacks, and a bunch I've forgotten. His sister who is 65 was a head nurse at a major hospital whose intervention has saved his life more than a few times. After he fell, she moved out of her house and moved in with a friend a 3 hour drive away and is working in her living room doing computer work. She was driving 45 minutes each way to the hospital to help him. The nursing home is a lot closer to where she's staying. I told her she has to take care of her own health, or she will have a breakdown. I haven't visited America since 2015 but in one midwestern city there was a plague of severely obese adults. Very few will get the help my friend has.

Recently I heard on a podcast I think with Robert Lustig who claims that sugar is the culprit for the obesity crisis
https://robertlustig.com/ that the reason healthy food is double the price of unhealthy food in America is due to subsidies for the following

https://www.google.com/search?q=subsidi ... e&ie=UTF-8
The most highly subsidized crops—corn, soy, wheat, and rice—are the most abundantly produced and most consumed, often in the form of ultra-processed foods. Sugar is also highly subsidized in the form of indirect price supports that benefit producers and drive-up prices, yet sugar is also widely overconsumed.

He said if the subsidies were eliminated then healthy food would cost the same as junk food. He outlined four points to change this.
Get the food industries to change by appealing to them. That won't happen.

Change the laws somehow. I forgot exactly what. Probably having to do with advertising by eliminating food ads to children and having warning ads after junk food ads that once happened with tobacco ads to the point where the cigarette companies stopped tv ads.

Educating the public.

Finally, lawsuits which are being pursued. It will be a long battle to get people to eat healthier. It is taking a terrible toll on people's health especially as they age and costing a fortune.

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Ultra Processed Foods

Post by lenny »

I found the podcast. Ten companies control 85% of the calories in America. It's at 1 hour 14 minutes and 46 seconds into the podcast. Lustig talks about how he's trying to change this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FiYyk0 ... terAttiaMD

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Ultra Processed Foods

Post by Gene »

Flamin’ hot addictions: why is America so hooked on ultra-processed foods?
"Hooked" is a strong term.

They're engineered to be tasty. The sugar spike fools with your brain, insulin slams amino acids into your brain. They mess up your gut biota, which makes you want more of them to feel better.

I spent years getting buzzed up on lots of sugar. Ketosis is about as pleasant.
Don't like yourself too much.