Satellite Internet

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
drwillis
Gunny

Satellite Internet

Post by drwillis »

Anyone here have the high speed internet via satellite? I know the up/down rates were pretty comparable to DSL but not nearly as fast as my cable. Want to know if anyone has the service and likes it?

jakeischillin

Post by jakeischillin »

Never had it but I know it sux... The throughput itself is ok but the ping time suck since your signal has to hit the satelite then its microwaved down to their NOC so there's significant lag. As far as a broadband internet connection is concerned it should be considered your last option if nothing else is available. Stick with the cable if your provider is decent, it beats the shit out of satelite and DSL (most of the time).

Dave

Post by Dave »

Not to mention what happens to the signal when it rains hard or snows :(
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Topic author
drwillis
Gunny

Post by drwillis »

Dave wrote:Not to mention what happens to the signal when it rains hard or snows :(
Thanks. I have directv now and in the 2+ years I have lost signal 1 or 2 times and only when we have had major rain storms (30-40+mph winds).
The place I am looking at has access to DSL or Wireless internet though so I am good. Just going to miss my 3+ down speed that Comcast is providing at home now.
Fiber is on the way out near the new place I am looking at....