Gill Athletic KBs again

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Tijolo

Gill Athletic KBs again

Post by Tijolo »

I just received a 12kg and a 32kg from Gill. The 12kg is very similar to the DD models but the 32kg is way different. The handles are thicker on the Gill KBs and the 32kg sits about an inch to an 1 1/2 I higher than a DD 32kb. The handles also form into the sphere closer togther and are straight across on the Gill models. I'll take a picture later this week and post them.

They function just as well as DD bells but there is a different feel to them.

Lich

Post by Lich »

Thanks for the update. I'd definately like to see some photo's when you get around to it.

HawkSC
Private

Post by HawkSC »

I'd definitely like to see pictures of the GA 32 next to a DD 32kg so that we can compare them. Also please let us know how it feels using the GA 32kg when compared to the DD 32kg.

Thanks,

Jim

Topic author
Tijolo

Post by Tijolo »

Lich,

Give me your email so I can send you the photos. You'll be able to see the difference quite well.

Tijolo

Trip

Post by Trip »

post the pic on IG4

Topic author
Tijolo

Post by Tijolo »

Don't know how. If you do I'll email to you and you can post them.

Tijolo

Trip

Post by Trip »

Topic author
Tijolo

Post by Tijolo »

Trip,

You have mail.

Tijolo

HawkSC
Private

Post by HawkSC »

Trip,

I don't have a .net password or use MSN groups for this reason. Do you have any other place to place the photos other than a place that people have to sign in or sign up for?

Thanks,

Jim

Lich

Post by Lich »

Hawk,

Here are Trip's pics: left is DD, right is Gill.

Lich

Post by Lich »

Don't quite look as advertised... bzw, the 32 Kg

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

What are the chances of a 62 or 88 from Gill??

HawkSC
Private

Post by HawkSC »

Tom,

I asked somebody from Everything Track and field, who also carries this product, about the 88's and she said that she was wondering why so many people wanted them that big. At least somebody is listening, but who knows what that means. If you'd like, I'll give you her email so that we can keep the pressure on for larger ones.

thanks,

Jim

Lich

Re: Gill Athletic KBs again

Post by Lich »

Tijolo wrote:I just received a 12kg and a 32kg from Gill. The 12kg is very similar to the DD models but the 32kg is way different. The handles are thicker on the Gill KBs and the 32kg sits about an inch to an 1 1/2 I higher than a DD 32kb. The handles also form into the sphere closer togther and are straight across on the Gill models. I'll take a picture later this week and post them.

They function just as well as DD bells but there is a different feel to them.
Tijolo,

Just to confirm, you did say and mean;

- That the Gill KB's have a thicker grip?
- And at some other post, did you say the weights were near perfectly accurate??

Tell me about the coating. How abrasive, durable, etc...

Are there any pock marks on them or excess metal on the handle which one cannot see in the photo?

Is it a good cast, i.e., a straight cast, the handles are not crooked from any angle?

The handle diameter is consistent throughout it's length, no waves or wells?

Do you notice any feeling or evidence that it is made of shit that would chip or crack under normal training circumstances?

I have to ask... I've had lots of bells from different countries, and have seen all ranges from very good to complete shit....

Lich

Post by Lich »

A note about the handle distance from the ball...

I like that myself, because it means when you're in the rack position you can actually have a bit of forward flexion in your wrist WITHOUT the bell touching the back of your wrist bone. With most bells, even keeping your wrist straight means the bell hits the wrist bone, and you have to let your wrist back just a hair so that the bell is on the forearm. But with this greater handle to ball distance, your always in the clear and like I said, can even have forward flexion in the wrist and be in the black.

It also means you need to give your snatches and cleans more ass, and BU's are harder too. FYI, Stan Pike always made his bells like that too. That was one good thing about using his stuff. Of course now that he has his cast, I don't know, but his hand made ones were that way.

Topic author
Tijolo

Post by Tijolo »

Lich,

Yes the Gill Athletic bells have thicker grips. It's pretty noticable also. The coating is more abrasive that DD but nothing that interferes with training. No pock marks or excess metal on the handle.

They do feel softer than DD kettlebells, not sure if it's me or that the metal is that different. Handle is straight with no arch to it.

Tijolo

Topic author
Tijolo

Post by Tijolo »

I trained today solely with the Gill Athletic kettlebells. I actually prefer the slightly thicker handle, not too taxing but enough to notice. At first, the longer handle took some getting used to because the bell sits lower on the forearm but it doesn;t interfere with any drills.

Tijolo

Jehoshaphat
Private

GILL KBs

Post by Jehoshaphat »

I have a set of the Gill KBs also. Yes the handles are somewhat abrasive, but I solved that very simply by sanding them down with some coarse emery cloth. I also had to do a little filing inside the corners of the horns. I then applied a coat of Krylon black primer and topped it off with Krylon gloss black. The Krylon gives a very strong, hard and smooth finish, vey nice for doing snatches.

Considering that the set of 1, 1.5 and 2 pood cost me $245 ( $175 plus $70 shipping) compared to $418 ( $323 plus $95 shipping) at DD, I didn't mind spending $8 for sandpaper and paint along with a half hour of time for sanding and painting. I am very pleased with the KBs, they are nice and solid.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Again another KB with a strait handle,fucking stupid for snatches,just like the perform better bells.
I tell you I do like what I've seen of the K2 bells,same design as DD,you know they've got to be molds of DD bells,but the finish and smooth handles are sweet. I might get one to use as a snatch bell and see how they hold up to outdoors abuse.
I do like the Darth Vader's helmet finish a lot.
D =D> arth

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Jehoshaphat
Private

Gill now carries 88lb KBs

Post by Jehoshaphat »

Gill now has 88lb KBs and they're $50 cheaper than DragDoor's.

http://www.gillathletics.com/GillItemVi ... SID=TA4140

SAR

Post by SAR »

for 20 bucks more you can get a K2 bell which will support a small US company and provide you a better bell.