Resilient

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Lich

Resilient

Post by Lich »

Does anyone (IGer) have this and can review it?

Tijolo

Post by Tijolo »

I had it. I sent it back. I just thought it lacked content.

Tijolo

Topic author
Lich

Post by Lich »

Elaborate on what you mean by that. Did it cover old ground, or have nothing of use?

Dave

Post by Dave »

I have it. Watched it once. I can watch it again and review it. but it will be several days since I'm in the middle of doing the New Systema Hand to Hand and Sonnon's Softwork

PS
Corporal

Post by PS »

To stir some shit: Are you going to post a comparison review of the H-t-H and Softwork?

Dave

Post by Dave »

actually yes I am. Scott personally asked me to review his and wants to see an unbiased comparison of the two. Since I've been to seminars with both of them and have seen most of Scott and a lot of Vlads videos I have a pretty good viewpoint. I'm not practicing either method but I taken ideas from both of them and incorporated it into my training.

PS
Corporal

Post by PS »

That's actually pretty cool of Scott to really compare his stuff to Vlad's. Now whether you could put an uncensored review over at RMax ...

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

Cool I look forward to that.

Dave

Post by Dave »

He invited me to do it. I posted here last week I think that at that time I preferred the little I had seen on Softwork over the little I had seen of H2H.

I watched H2H in its entirety monday and I'm typing up my 1st draft. I hope to watch Softwork this weekend.

kallistos
Sarge

Post by kallistos »

I have 'Resilient', which I received as a birthday gift. It has some good stuff in it. The lunges have helped my hip flexors, and the french presses are helping my shoulder girdle flexibility. I like the kettlebell hack squat as it gave me a new perspective on squatting mechanics. I like the emphasis on detail for most of the drills. Having said that, the DVD is way overpriced like much of Dragondoors products. The non-instructional narrative by Pavel is kind of cheesy. There are kettlebell and non-kettlebell drills on the DVD. I have basically only used the kettlbell drills.

Topic author
Lich

Post by Lich »

kallistos wrote:I have 'Resilient', which I received as a birthday gift. It has some good stuff in it. The lunges have helped my hip flexors, and the french presses are helping my shoulder girdle flexibility. I like the kettlebell hack squat as it gave me a new perspective on squatting mechanics. I like the emphasis on detail for most of the drills. Having said that, the DVD is way overpriced like much of Dragondoors products. The non-instructional narrative by Pavel is kind of cheesy. There are kettlebell and non-kettlebell drills on the DVD. I have basically only used the kettlbell drills.
Heh. Thanks for the comments. I wanted to ask and make sure it wasn't some stupid shit that is obviously, or rehashed material. I agree with you about DD prices, all and all, they're much to overpriced. 36 minutes for 60 bucks is a bit ridiculous as far as I am concerned. I'd still like to have the material though. Pavel has a lot of good stuff, but he's a self confessed capitalist running dog, and he obviously means it.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

I agree with Kallistos - there is interesting and useful stuff on "Resilient", but it's overpriced. However, the 1/2 Turkish getup and the RKC Arm Bar have proved to be very helpful to me in dealing with the "Upper Quarter Strain Patterns" which tend to dog bodyworkers, so I am happy I got it. Your mileage may vary.

Selena

Post by Selena »

I have this product. I am less than impressed by it though and especially for the money. If you already own Relax Into Stretch or something like that then you don't need it. I think there are too many products at that company which overlap one another.

Topic author
Lich

Post by Lich »

Selena wrote:I have this product. I am less than impressed by it though and especially for the money. If you already own Relax Into Stretch or something like that then you don't need it. I think there are too many products at that company which overlap one another.
I missed this reply. Thanks for the info.

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

I think I have most the exercises down, but could someone list them and small paragraph describing it?? I'd rather have alot of this stuff listed, then people can decide if they want the product or not.

Jeff Martone's H2H-2 has a complete list of exercise on the DD website. It is lengthy and fun. Good move by Mr. Martone.

Tom Furman
"Do you believe in Jesus?"
---Yes.
"Well, you're gonna meet him!"

Charles Bronson, Death Wish 2

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I liked this, but it wasn't worth the money you paid for it.

Pavel seems to have to range farther and farther to pick up "new" exercises for his stuff. This one has some good stuff, and some stuff that really wasn't helpful.

Matt
Private

List of exercises

Post by Matt »

Neck

1) Wall neck extension
2) Paul Anderson neck roll
3) Some chicken (chicken-style forward/back neck extensions)
4) Boxer's jaw opener

Elbows

5) Elbow greaser
6) Beyond the french press

Shoulder Girdle

7) Shoulder blade walk
8) Turkish half-up
9) Russian karate twist
10) RKC shoulder rotator (basically a windmill with more hand rotation at the top)
11) RKC arm bar
12) Hack chest opener

Hips and Knees

13) Hack squat hip opener
14) Russian slalom
15) Kneeling lunge plus

Spine

16) Back roll-around
17) Walk walk
18) Good morning stretch plus
19) Russian hockey torsion deadlift

I like Resilient myself and think it was worth the $ for me.
Sorry for no descriptions of above exercises. No time.

Matt

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

Could you describe the elbow greaser, slalom, arm bar, hack for chest opening,karate twist, and a few oddball others?? Most are fairly common and the details make the difference. I am just curious.

Tom Furman
---Yes.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

A few

Elbow Greaser.

Basically hold onto your fist with your opposite hand and rotate the forearm from the elbow. Use the hand holding the fist to vary the pressure.

Slalom

From a kneeling postition, you hold a kb in front of you, and you from side to side. Think of a side to side kneeling squat. Only kneel down as far as you can pain free. My knees didn't like this exercise.

Arm Bar.

Lay on your back with one light kb held like you were getting ready to do a turkish get up. Then, slowly turn over, allowing the kettlebell's weight to stretch out your chest and your shoulder capsule. The offset weight of the kb does a nice job for stretching that area.

The others I'd have to look at again.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Thanks Shaf!

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

Thanks. I really appreciate this. I had been doing the light 26lb deadlift outside of my legs with my feet together. I almost try to track the bell along my It band and sit back to let it kiss the ground and start back up to the other side. This Hockey Deadlift has a great effect on the iliotibial band and gluteus medius. It also forces you to sit back and load the the glutes, pressurize the abs, etc.

Tom Furman
---Yes.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I'll have to try that one, Tom.

Hack squat/Hack squat hip opener

Do a hack squat with your feet pretty close together and coming up on your toes. Let the knees track out over the toes. Hold a kb behind you.
Important points: open up the joints, "pull the hip out of the socket", instead of going down, think of pulling your hips out of the sockets while you pull yourself down into a squat. Let your chest open and pull your shoulders back to let the kb open up your chest a bit.

When you can sit on your heels in the bottom, pretend there's a cable attached to your belly button tilting your pelvis, let this pretend cable pull your hips even further open by tilting the pelvis up. Eventuall start twisting a bit and touching the knee to the floor while you twist.

Karate Twist: Hold kbs in clean position, knees locked, turn from side to side

Hack chest opener: Hold kb behind back, try to elongate collarbones, pushing shoulders forward and out.

Boxer's Jaw Opener. Lay down on your stomach. Put your jaw on a hand or fist. Open the jaw. For more resistance, use your body to exert more weight on the jaw.

amtroit2
Corporal

Post by amtroit2 »

great stuff & thx

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

Strength forums exist for trading data like this. I will post a review of Steve Maxwell's grappler tapes next week. Remind me guys! My work schedule sucks royally, but next week I'm off. I only have to work on my fitness biz.

I'll also review some martial arts stuff as well.

Tom Furman
---Yes.

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

Let's see shoulder walk and back walk around. --That completes my curiousity.

Maxwell's tape has some nice warmups, core, and strength stuff.
There is a new BJJ drills tape from Stephen Kesting on grapplearts.com.

Lots of fun material out there.

Tom Furman
---Yes.