Randy Couture's 'Wrestling for Fighting'

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Randy Couture's 'Wrestling for Fighting'

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Wow. Let me start by saying that I own pretty much every BJJ and MMA book out there. This new entry to the market jumps ahead of most of the pack. Just like BJ Penn, Randy doesn't try to show you everything under the sun. Rather, it's like Randy came over to your house and basically opened up his playbook for you. If you have any interest in incorporating more wrestling into your MMA game, specifically Randy's flavor and application, then this book will be like a goldmine. Rough Outline:

Part 1: Wrestling
Intro
4 Basic Takedowns
Finishing the High Single
Tie Ups
Sprawling
Single-leg Defense

Part 2: Greco
Intro
Pummeling
Greco Takedowns
Arm Drags
Advanced Greco

Part 3: Wrestling for Fighting
Intro
Strikes to Double Leg
Closing the Distance
The Clinch
Cage Tactics
Ground Tactics
Submissions

Right up front, let me tell you that Randy shows a whopping TWO submissions. Oh well, that's not what we want to learn from Randy, anyhow. This book is filled with so many nuggets it's unbelievable. $34.95 may seem a bit steep for a mere 212 pages, but there is not a single technique in here that I would consider "filler". Again, this is like the Randy Couture playbook...everything you've seen him do in the ring, but maybe never quite understood exactly what he was doing.

Not much on striking here other than how to use punches to set-up entries and takedowns. Plus, he spends a few pages on his legendary Dirty Boxing game. I would have liked to have seen more on this aspect, but Randy gives you the core and shows you how he does it.

The gold is in the standing grappling portion. Here, The Natural lays it all out for you...pummeling, tie-ups, variations of tie-ups, underhooks (and variations), two-on-one, arm drags, trips, go behinds, duck unders...and everything specifically applied to winning MMA.

If you're a coach, competitor, or just a guy who trains...there's something here for you. I know I'll be adding a lot of great new techniques to my game as soon as I get in the gym this week.

Can't recommend enough...get this book.