John Wayne Was the Greatest Screen Icon Ever.

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Ericc
Sgt. Major

Re: John Wayne Was the Greatest Screen Icon Ever.

Post by Ericc »

The Searchers is THE western. Non better.
Although True Grit and The Sons of Katie Elder are my two favorites.

Topic author
Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc »

Big Jake, The Cowboys and his last one - The Shootist all stand out as
favorites too.

Hamper

Post by Hamper »

John Wayne Was the Greatest Screen Icon Ever.
Hmmm.... it's a toss up between him and Rob Schneider

Hamper

Post by Hamper »

Jack wrote:
Hamper wrote:John Wayne Was the Greatest Screen Icon Ever.
Hmmm.... it's a toss up between him and Rob Schneider
You're not a creep, you're a total fucking asshole. Expect to hate life here at IGx from now on.

No really, you're gonna wish you were dead, cause I'm already on a jet heading your way to kill you.

On American Masters on PBS they did a bio of John Wayne and John Ford and their collaborations. From Radical Leftist to Radical Right and all inbetween they all agreed with the title of this thread.

If you jump out a window now and just get injured, I'll let you live. Otherwise, all of Canada dies. (no one will notice)
Yup, no one will notice Canada if it disappears, that little country tucked way down south and all.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Jack wrote:The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056217/
This movie is freak'n great, have it on DVD and watched it again not long ago. Top Notch John Wayne stuff and with Marvin and Stewart in there, you owe it yourself to sit back with a beer and just enjoy the hell out of this fine and well done Western. This my friends is a good movie.

The Searchers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049730/
No Wayne/Ford movie list is complete without it. Duke said this was among his finest work and his favorite. It's a hell of film, full of visceral content and some lighter stuff to ease on just what a heavy movie it really is. Wayne had the main characters ardent hatred of Indians toned down to a dull roar and still it's a boldly played role. Your not a fan if you miss this one.

His performance as Ethan Edwards in The Searchers (1956) is ranked #87 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "The Searchers" are the two best western ever made.

"The Searchers" is hands down the best.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

cbel413
Sarge

Post by cbel413 »

Jack wrote: The Quiet Man: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045061/
Have you ever seen this? Every guy who ever worked with John Ford and John Wayne is in this movie. Nothing else need be said, just watch it, you'll love it. This is 4 star John Wayne.

This was a great movie one of my favorite John Wayne movies. Plus Maureen O'Hara was one beautiful woman, I could watch her for days!!

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

cbel413 wrote:
Jack wrote: The Quiet Man: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045061/
Have you ever seen this? Every guy who ever worked with John Ford and John Wayne is in this movie. Nothing else need be said, just watch it, you'll love it. This is 4 star John Wayne.

This was a great movie one of my favorite John Wayne movies. Plus Maureen O'Hara was one beautiful woman, I could watch her for days!!
Agree and agree. McClintock has a great scene where McC puts a feisty Maureen over his knee and whamps her with an Irongarm skillet.

The Conqueror with JW as Genghis Khan is the Duke's best unintentional comedy.