Xtreme Rings by Gymnasticbodies.com

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Xtreme Rings by Gymnasticbodies.com

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Coach Chris Sommer, of "Building An Olympic Body Through Bodyweight Conditioning" article (Google it!) and http://Gymnasticbodies.com has come out with his version of gymnastics rings for strength and conditioning.

His own blurb about the rings (in comparison to ringtraining.com's Elite rings):
The primary differences between the Xtreme and elite, in no particular order, are:
1) The Xtreme Rings have a heavier texture that matches that of the competitive rings that my athletes compete on. This is not an inherent design flaw of the elite rings. It is a little bit like which is better; chocolate or strawberry? In actuality neither; my personal preference is simply for the heavier texture in the training of my athletes and clients. Your personal preference may vary.

2) The Xtreme Rings have no slots on the sides of the rings, nor will they in the future. This is not a design element that I find useful. Competitive gymnasts tape their rings to stabilize them for swinging skills, not for strength work. There is no need to stabilize them for strength work. My athletes have always conditioned on rings that move freely. Not having slots on the Xtreme Rings also greatly accelerates the speed with which Gymnastic Bodies attachments can be both placed on and removed from the straps. More on the Gymnastic Bodies attachments later this year.

3) The Xtreme Rings are a solid single piece manufacture, not two halves glued together.

4) The strapping is extra long (18') to accomodate handstand work.

5) There are velcro stays provided to control unused length of strapping.

In conclusion, you don't need the Xtreme Rings and only the Xtreme Rings to enjoy the benefits of the Gymnastic Bodies program; the elite rings are more than adequate for general fitness training. The Xtreme Rings are simply more convenient for some aspects of the Gymnastic Bodies training and follow the personal preferences I have developed after thirty years of training high-level athletes. The most important point is that you have rings of some sort to train on.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
I recently received a pair of these rings. I have wanted a pair for a while, and Coach Sommer is currently running an introduction special on them, so I ponied up the money and ordered them through Ebay using PayPal.

Shipping: Reasonably priced at ~$9 for US Postal Delivery via Priority Mail. They were mailed on Wednesday, and at my door on Friday. I ordered on Monday, and Coach Sommer emailed me saying he was out of town, and would ship them first thing when he returned on Wednesday. The heads-up note was very courteous and professional.

1. The rings are one piece of solid textured plastic. I looked closely and there were no sprue or oversplash from the molding process. Having worked extensively with plastics previously, I was pretty impressed. The rings are a finished product, professionally made, and sturdy.

2. The straps are thick and approximately 1" wide and 18' long. The buckles are easy to use, making adjustments ridiculously easy.

3. The velcro pieces are a nice touch to keep the excess strap out of the way.

Coach Sommer wrote a bit about the Xtreme Ring's capacities:
Xtreme Rings Weight Limit

You will have to be doing weighted dips with over 2000lbs to exceed the strength of the Xtreme Rings as the rings, straps and cam buckles are rated at over 1,100lbs each. If you do manage it though, please post a video. Just kidding about the video, but seriously the rings are more than strong enough for any and all gymnastics conditioning work that you could ever manage to undertake. Remember though, that they are designed for conditioning work, not for swinging work.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
I am very pleased with purchase. So far I've done push ups, body rows, pull ups, L-sit, and low ROM dips on them, and they've been very solid and a pleasure to work with.

Sofa King

Re: Xtreme Rings by Gymnasticsbodies.com

Post by Sofa King »

Glad to hear that. I ordered rings last year from Tyler Hass and never got them.
Something went wrong with his production or something and they never materialized. I waited 3 months, no rings.
I'll have to look up Sommer's rings.

Do you get a free copy of his book with every purchase? :-"
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Dave

Re: Xtreme Rings by Gymnasticbodies.com

Post by Dave »

Tyler had his rings on sale for $50 as well and they just came in. They are the Elite, black. I have a pair of his original rings as well. They've held up pretty well. On one the stitching that held the webbing together came apart & Tyler send me a replacement strap free.
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Tyler's done a good business and seems to take care of the customer as well.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

He did stay in touch while I was waiting. I just ran out of time to buy.
I was buying for my school and our budget closed in April of that year. Couldn't finalize in time.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Did anyone have problems trying to order? My order kept cycling back to the same spot and never asked for payment info. :-k

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

You have to locate the ebay link. Just go to ebay and do a search on "Xtreme Rings" or something, he hasn't got the store part of his site set up yet.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Banned wrote:Did anyone have problems trying to order? My order kept cycling back to the same spot and never asked for payment info. :-k
Same here. I sent him an email about it but haven't heard back
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

To make it easy:

Black rings & black straps:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L.m315.lVI

Black rings & gold straps:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L.m315.lVI

Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the links. I ordered 2 pair

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Got 'em. They are very solid and easily attach to just about anything due to quick release buckle.

Like 'em.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Shaf wrote:You have to locate the ebay link. Just go to ebay and do a search on "Xtreme Rings" or something, he hasn't got the store part of his site set up yet.
Thanks.
edit: Just ordered. Been wanting rings for 2 years. Now I have no excuses.

Hope they're better than those perfect pushup handles I bought.

grey

Post by grey »

How are the buckles compared to the original rings Tyler offered? I like the rings themselves but the buckles are kind of a pain in the ass to use.
Training Log

Talk - Action = Shit

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

The buckles = pinch open, thread strap through, adjust to desired length, let go.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Banned wrote:
Shaf wrote:You have to locate the ebay link. Just go to ebay and do a search on "Xtreme Rings" or something, he hasn't got the store part of his site set up yet.
Thanks.

Ordred Thursday; received today.

Awesome shipping. Will play with these on Monday.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Banned wrote:
Banned wrote:
Thanks.

Ordred Thursday; received today.

Awesome shipping. Will play with these on Monday.

Jesus, how much random fitness bullshit do you have? Aren't you some middle aged guy? I bet you used to be in Crossfit too.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I like 'em.

Check out EliteFTS exercise index for "Blast Strap" exercises for a list of basic movements you can do with them. Also this:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/blaststrapreport.pdf

Because a ring doesn't have a revolving handle, some exercises are a bit harder to do because of the way you have to hold it.

I have done.

Push ups
Fall outs (abs)
Inverted rows
Rear delt stuff (this is where the grip doesn't work as well as blast straps)

Prehab stuff (Kelso shruggery in several different planes of motion)

Dip holds
Hanging ab stuff

Really a nice piece that adds additional capabilities to my home gym as a very reasonable price.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Yes.

Kelso's Shrug book is an excellent resource to have on hand. Practicing some of the shrug variations he lines out are extremely effective for shoulder prehab, and that's just one reason. And it's cheap.

Kelso's a quality guy.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Jack wrote:Thanks Shaf,

BTW, do you recommend the Kelso shrug book?
Ditto to what Shaf said. I found that ending a set of any arm exercise with the "shrug version" (you do the pullup, dip, bench, row, whatever, but your elbow stays locked) greatly increased my shoulder stability. I noticed that bent pressing in particular got easier.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Jack wrote:See Banned, I was thinking that, BUT I DIDN'T SAY IT! Why you ax, well cause I like you, you're cool and stuff.

Still, you give me no credit for my kindness.

Anyway, I'd like to ask if anyone here who is using these rings can please state what benefits and such have come from using them. I'm curious about them too.
Huh? :-k

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Herv100 wrote: Jesus, how much random fitness bullshit do you have? Aren't you some middle aged guy? I bet you used to be in Crossfit too.
Aren't you quite the fucking genius. Say hi to the gang at CF Whereeverthefuck for me.
Waste of sperm.

Wait a minute. . .Jack?

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Take it easy there, sensitive Sally. And please don't insult me by insinuating I'm a Crossfitter. Now go back to playing with your slosh pipe, Sally.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

You certainly seem to have me well researched, having read my old posts.
If only I was unemployed and had nothing but time, I could keep up your awesome.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Finally was able to go to post office to get my rings. I now have 2 pair of Sommers', 2 pair of Haas' Elite rings & 1 pair of Haas' original rings.

I like Haas' original rings the best. They feel sturdier and are made out of steel. His Elite rings are nice, they have the slot for the webbing to go through but the handle is plastic and is narrower than the original rings.

Sommer's rings are the same diameter as the Elite but don't have the slot so the rings are free to rotate in the loop of the webbing. Sommer's rings have a rough finish and therefore better gripping. Of korse wrapping Haas' Elite rings is doable but then you have to buy the tennis wrap.

The webbing on Sommer's feel a bit sturdier and the buckle is heavier. In addition the buckle is easier to thread because the tab is shorter and the end of the webbing is cut at an angle. Haas' original webbing also had the angled cut.

At $50 you can't go wrong with The Elites or the ones from Sommers both last most people quite a while

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Torque Athletic sells the original metal rings.