Achtung Baby

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Achtung Baby

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

There isn't a lot of stuff out there that still sounds awesome and new 15+ years after it came out.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Yeah, I thought it was great
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

--
Last edited by newguy on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I agree but I think the Joshua Tree album was a little better
Shut the fuck up and train

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Jack, I very much agree. My favorite album (cd) of theirs.

jimmystyle
PFC

Post by jimmystyle »

newguy wrote:When you make a list of the greatest bands of all time, who can really top U2? For almost 30 years they have been together, same line-up, always pushing the envelope, staying relevant. Some dips along the way (Pop era.) But 30 years later, not relying on pure nostalgia to keep them going. Great live shows. Great albums. Albums stand up to the test of time. Because almost all of their great albums do that. Sound good years later.

Who else can make the claim to be the greatest band ever? Not most impactful, best record, most innovative, but greatest band?

Until of course Guns n Roses get back together.

here are 3 bands that are probably not the greatest bands ever, yet are better than U2
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Black Sabbath
3. Hanson

Bono is a chode. 2 good songs in 30 years is not enough to be taken seriously.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Black Sabbath is the greatest band of all time.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

jimmystyle wrote:here are 3 bands that are probably not the greatest bands ever, yet are better than U2
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Black Sabbath
3. Hanson
I noticed Duran Duran didn't make this list.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

Rush has been around longer and is way more talented than U2. No posing for the cameras either, which is good, cos Rush is muy ugly.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

You know that radio voice, that does things like ads for monster truck rallies etc? Way over the top voice? In the DC/Baltimore area, a decade or so ago, there was a concert at one of the big arenas, and in the ads for that concert The Voice would intone:

“Many bands play rock-n-roll. Only one band is rock-n-roll.”

The ads were for a Rolling Stones concert. Can't leave them out of any “greatest band ever” conversation.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman