The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Re: The couch thread

Post by GoDogGo! »

WE NEED THE FRONT VIEW NOW THANX
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Thud wrote: I guess I just can't relate to what's in it for Dan, if not in some sort of career sense? Yesterday Glasshole says they're friends, but the day before - some 20 or so months after the fact - he's STILL publicly defecating on him -- and saying he'd do it again!!!
Dan John wasn't removed for "not furiously defending crossfit", he was criticized for making profoundly misleading statements about his involvement with CF, and our influence on his professional work, and then passed up for a much more accomplished lifter and coach, Mark Rippetoe. It was all nettlesome, yet I'd do it again if circumstance presented itself similarly.

Comment #49 - Posted by: Coach at August 3, 2008 10:38 PM
If that's him on the eve of humility I'd hate to see him breeding spite.

Is this someone Dan really wants to be "friends" with?

And FWIW, I think Shaf and Fox, and anyone else who was a casualty of this or similar affairs, should also be reinstated with public apologies. Then one might assume that Cooch is a changed man, and redemption is already underway. But as it stands now, this reads to me like Glassman is merely EXPLOITING Dan's good nature as a quick fix to add luster to his own self-soiled image.
Wow, seriously what the hell is that guy's problem? I've met a lot of great people through CrossFit, but I guess there's no reason to post at that forum ever again... What an a-hole!

btw, sorry for taking my time catching up.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

This thread is clearly the "eternal flame" of IGX. It will remain lit so long as the Couch does.
Shut the fuck up and train

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

Since we lost a page or so, let me clarify my position with the whole Glasshole affair.

Nice that he finally talkied to my brother. Nice that my brother was nice.

Me, never forgive, never forget.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Gary John wrote:Since we lost a page or so, let me clarify my position with the whole Glasshole affair.

Nice that he finally talkied to my brother. Nice that my brother was nice.

Me, never forgive, never forget.
But Rev, give us the current status of the "make nicey with DJ" affair. Was it just one phone call?
I only talked to Dan once about this (it was for about an hour), but I can't see a "friendship" coming out of this.
Dan's too smart and the GWF is too crafty for this to be a moment of redemption.

Of course, if Dan wants to let us know what the hell us up, that would work as well.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d »

CF Radio clip today. Idea for a show. Panel discussion - Coach, Twight, Me, DJ, Rant, Banned and Shaf. Any topic.
Growing old is not for sissies.

"I'm just here to regulate funkyness"
James Gandolfini in The Mexican

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

ab g-d wrote:CF Radio clip today. Idea for a show. Panel discussion - Coach, Twight, Me, DJ, Rant, Banned and Shaf. Any topic.
But without PL54 there will be no joy.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

The Real Rant
Anal Sadist

Post by The Real Rant »

ab g-d wrote:CF Radio clip today. Idea for a show. Panel discussion - Coach, Twight, Me, DJ, Rant, Banned and Shaf. Any topic.
=D> =D>

Something tells me that might never happen.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d »

GoDogGo! wrote:
I would of course welcome PL54, but he is not, as Rant was described in a recent thread confusing his blog (The Moynihan Institue) and Danny John's site (sometimes known as "The Murray Institute for Lifelong Fitness" or MILF), a "disaffected crossfitter". Therefore, He and Coach would be in the same boat, both having not really done CF.

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

And this thread predates all those guys.

I was turned on to this during the January 2006 campaign.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d »

Gary John wrote:And this thread predates all those guys.

I was turned on to this during the January 2006 campaign.
Not sure what that means, but I started this thread.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

ab g-d wrote:
GoDogGo! wrote:
I would of course welcome PL54, but he is not, as Rant was described in a recent thread confusing his blog (The Moynihan Institue) and Danny John's site (sometimes known as "The Murray Institute for Lifelong Fitness" or MILF), a "disaffected crossfitter". Therefore, He and Coach would be in the same boat, both having not really done CF.
And furthermore both of us are DETERMINED to never be pressured into it.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

I know you did, was respecting that.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d »

Gary John wrote:I know you did, was respecting that.
No worries, just didn't know what you meant.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

=D> =D>
I'm in. As long as Cooch is buying the hooch. :drinkers:

. . .oh, and if you want another disaffected @fitter, nafod may be a good candidate.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

OK, this was pretty interesting:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Cros ... ay1Pre.wmv

When Rant, Shaf, ab g_d, DJ and I all go on the radio show with couch, I'm setting the record straight about using the term "Box" or "Black Box" in reference to an @fit affiliate. I came up with it and I'd like someone to start paying the royalties.
All I got was a stoopid hoodie from #@fit Vancougar.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Snicker.
Lawsuit alleges workout damaged health of former sailor
By Bryan Mitchell - [email protected]
Posted : August 18, 2008

MANASSAS, Va. — A lawsuit filed by a former sailor has raised concerns about the dangers of a workout regimen that is rapidly growing in popularity across the military.

The lawsuit, filed by former Information Systems Technician 1st Class Makimba Mimms in Prince William County, Va., Circuit Court late last year, seeks $500,000, as well as punitive damages, in connection with the permanent disability Mimms allegedly suffered as a result of performing the CrossFit workout under the direction of a trainer at a Manassas gym.

CrossFit, an intense strength and conditioning regimen, is practiced by thousands worldwide at dozens of ad-hoc clubs and is especially popular with military and law enforcement communities.

Neither CrossFit nor its founder, Greg Glassman, is listed as defendants in the lawsuit, but the word “CrossFit” appears dozens of times throughout the legal documents connected to the suit. Glassman could not be reached for comment.

The lawsuit is part of an emerging body of evidence that CrossFit may be damaging to participants’ health, perhaps even causing death — a possibility acknowledged by its founder as early as 2005.

Following a June story on the popularity of CrossFit in Military Times newspapers, Capt. Jonathan Picker, commander of the Navy’s Center for Personal and Professional Development, posted a story that raised concerns about CrossFit in the July issue of the center’s internal magazine.

“Several [experts] in the sports medicine field (military and civilian) have addressed a concern that the program has the potential for causing an increased incidence of musculoskeletal injuries and even muscle breakdown (rhabdomyoloysis) and therefore is not supported by [Navy Center for Personal and Professional Development],” the story states. “Granted, anyone can develop a program that’s very intense, but there’s a safer way of doing this for our sailors.” Picker could not be reached for comment.

Navy officials said studies are underway to examine CrossFit and its potential effects on service members, but those involved with the studies declined to discuss the specifics.

A section of Picker’s story was posted on a CrossFit Web site and subsequently mocked by some of CrossFit’s more strident advocates.

“You know what’s another excellent way to get a musculoskeletal injury?” one poster asked in reply to Picker’s assessment. “Getting shot because you can’t run fast enough with 50 [pounds] on your back!”

However, Glassman posted a warning on the CrossFit site in October 2005 labeled “CrossFit induced Rhabdo,” telling participants about the potential problems associated with the unforgiving workout, while Eugene Allen — a Washington State law enforcement officer who runs a CrossFit blog — posted an even less ambiguous warning in May 2005 titled “Killer Workouts.”

“With CrossFit, we are dealing with what is known as exertional rhabdomyolysis,” he wrote. “It can disable, maim and even kill.”

That’s what Mimms contends happened to him in one intense exercise session Dec. 11, 2005, in which, he said, he suffered injuries he has yet to recover from.

In the initial seven-page complaint filed Nov. 21, Mimms’ attorney, Phillip Walsh, contends that Manassas World Gym, Ruthless Training Concepts and Ruthless trainer Javier Lopez failed to exercise diligence before instructing an unprepared Mimms in performing CrossFit.

“The defendants, in concert with one another, entreated, promoted, encouraged and coached Mr. Mimms to perform and endure the extreme exertion prescribed by the CrossFit regimen,” court records state.

The suit claims Mimms suffered from rhabdomyolysis — which occurs when tiny shreds of muscle fiber are absorbed by the bloodstream and ultimately poison the kidneys — as a result of performing a CrossFit workout under the direction of Lopez, who worked as Ruthless Training Concepts trainer at the now-defunct Manassas World Gym.

Mimms, who was in the Navy for 11 years, got out in May and was not separated for medical reasons, declined to discuss the case, pending a trial slated to begin Oct. 6 in Manassas.

Lopez could not be reached for comment. However, statements made by Lopez to court officials during a pre-trial deposition indicate he was aware that “people who perform too intensely perhaps can undergo this rhabdomyolysis,” he said.

Ruthless Training Concepts, as well as attorneys representing Ruthless and Manassas World Gym, declined to comment on the suit.

Several physicians, including Walter Reed Army Medical Center neurophysiologist Lt. Col. Mark Landau, concluded that Mimms suffered severe injuries following his intense CrossFit workout, according to court records.

The injuries included rhabdomyolysis, lumbosacral spine strain and strain of the bilateral quadriceps, according to court documents. As a result of these injuries, Mimms was incapacitated, lost time from work and required surgery, court records show.

“[He] endured great mental and physical pain mental anguish and inconvenience,” court records state. “[He] has incurred and will in the future incur medical and related expenses, has sustained permanent disability.” The extent of his physical disability was not outlines in court documents.

Dr. Priscilla Clarkson of the University of Massachusetts contends that Lopez encouraged Mimms to perform exercises known to produce rhabdomyolysis. “Adequate precautions to prevent such a condition from occurring were not taken,” Clarkson wrote in documents prepared for the lawsuit.

Gray Cook, a physical therapist who consults with a host of NFL teams on strength and conditioning, said CrossFit is not dangerous unless performed by people not physically prepared for its intensity.

Cook stressed that he did not want to disparage CrossFit, and that the program has inherent benefits, such as keeping people active and preventing boredom by mixing up workouts. His concern is that novice participants don’t know what they’re getting into.

“Football players practice a lot more than they play for a reason,” Cook said. “You are not supposed to test drive the system as much as you tune it up.”

Mimms is certainly not the only service member to induce rhabdo with a strenuous workout. An article in the February/March 2008 issue of the Medical Surveillance Monthly Report, published by the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center, indicates the ailment is on the rise across the services.

There were 114 cases of rhabdo across the military services in 2004, four of which required hospitalization. The number rose to 159 in 2007, including 34 that required hospital visits.

No individual cause is provided for the rise in the number of rhabdo cases, and CrossFit is not mentioned in the four-page article.

The articles states that troops struck with rhabdo are more likely to be from Army and Marine units, that cases tend to occur in the summer, and that blacks and other non-white service members are at a higher risk of suffering from the ailment.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d »

The fallout could be interesting. Personally I'm disgusted by the suit. Take some personal fucking responsibility. I got sick doing Cindy, what seems like a fairly inocuous body weight workout. I bitched, but never thought to sue, despite, or maybe becuase I've defended companies against fraud suits most of my career.

Legally, they've set themselves up for a problem in a court room with a judge who you can be 90% sure will find the hyperpole surrounding CF shocking. "Dangerous" and "Infidel" t-shirts, Pukie, etc.... If there was ever a program that set themselves up to be tested, it's CF. This is of course what initially draws the hardcore types, including me, but they're counting on a lot of good fiath and integrity to never get dinged, with a program that encourages taking it to the edge every time. Relying on all that shit about scaling and showing kids doing the same workout is nonsense, and maybe giving the guy the finger on line is classic Glassman arrogant and dumb. I can't believe his lawyer is letting him do it, if he was consulted. I would strangle the guy if he was my client.

The case will come down to warnings, both oral and written, direct and indirect as well as any waivers etc... but there's a thousand examples on line of how proud they are it's "dangerous", which is the only reason I think the wrong judge, or the wrong 12 fat sloppy Americans in the box, could go sideways on them. Let's hope not.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/MakimbaPkg.pdf

S-T-U-P-I-D

From brief the cult put on their site it seems plaintiff had never done any lower body weight work. He was a wrestler so i am not surprised. Surgery was biopsy.

If i was plaintiff's attorney i would be doing back flipsthat they named a workout after Victim AND are having little kids do workout, of course with proper safety equipment and with industry approved rest periods between each flip.

Just when you think it can't get any worse...
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Mocking disabled veterans plays well in the courts. #-o
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

I'm a disabled veteran and I'm proud to be mocked.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

From their website:
Navy Wrestler Makimba Mimms claims permanent disability after kid's workout
Nice.

Except, if the workouts are scalable, he wasn't doing a "kid's" workout. And if the workouts aren't scalable, then cultfit has an even bigger problem. Additionally, if "cultfit-certified" trainers are training people without scaling the workouts, then Cultfit Corp (not just their backwater affiliate) and Glassman could have a real problem.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

I provide advice to folks in this area and there are real issues here. One question is how Glassman licenses the name Crossfit. Normally, if you plan to license your name, you need a contract that has safeguard precautions in operations and that makes clear the licensee is responsible and the licensor is not controlling him. There are a number of steps to take to avoid what's called "piercing the veil" of the franchisee or affiliate to get to the licensor, which would be Crossfit. From what I know of Crossfit, these protections may not be in place which would allow anyone injured at a Crossfit affiliate to sue Crossfit the parent along with the affiliate.

Another problem is notice and the duty to warn. McDonald's got in trouble with its scalding coffee because it had notice of a number of instances where people were spilling and getting severe burns. By lowering the temperature a bit, it could avoid the severe burning, but it chose not to do so. Along these lines, were I crossfit, I'd have a warning for all clients about prior rhabdo instances and I'd take special precautions with kids and having their parents sign something with all the disclosures.

As a general matter, juries tend to look down on people who don't take personal responsibility and are looking for a lottery ticket based on their own stupidity. But if you can make the other guy look like a bad guy who was reckless, you can overcome that.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

"You know what’s another excellent way to get a musculoskeletal injury?” one poster asked in reply to Picker’s assessment. “Getting shot because you can’t run fast enough with 50 [pounds] on your back!”"

Love that line. If I were a betting man I would back it not being made by a serving member of the forces.

Never having experienced military combat myself, I have a quick question or two to those who have; is it realistic to expect to be able to outrun a bullet? Do the armed forces devote much time to sprinting a couple of hundred metres away from the enemy? What were the most thrusters you ever did in a firefight? Thank you in advance.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

=D> =D> =D>
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.