The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Thud
Sgt. Major

Re: The couch thread

Post by Thud »

Couch just buys out all his critics.

A Gray Cook/Mike Boyle Bosu Ball cert can't be far behind.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

I only know Dave Tate through the magic of the interwebs and having purchased from him in the past. I first read his articles on T-Bag, then later through EFS. Comparing his final articles and training logs, I know he is heavily edited for spelling, grammar, and content. He has occasional moments of brilliance (King of the Cups was one of the funniest things I've read by him), and tries too hard at other times. This is clearly one of the "tries too hard" essays.

Instead of being upfront and just saying that this was a business decision and admitting that he was probably paid quite well for speaking in San Diego (last weekend the temps were in the high 70's as compared to London, OH where it was likely colder than a welldigger's lunch box). I don't fault him for this at all. Just like I don't fault Rippetoe for teaming with him. I bet Rippetoe has sold a ton more books in the past two years just because he tapped in to the @fit money machine (which is every bit as obnoxious as the Ryan Lee/Alwyn Cosgrove/J-Feg circle jerk). Shit, Buddy Lee probably went and bought about a gazillion new bandannas with the bucks he made from his certs and on-line sales, all attributed to hitching his star to the @fit money wagon. Bottom line is Tate has spent the last few years developing his OL persona as a hardcore badass who does things his way based on his lessons from powerlifting; I guess things change when the economy goes to shit.

So, in closing, I say good for Dave Tate. Your business will continue to do well, but it will do so at the expense of your well-crafted persona.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Thud wrote:Couch just buys out all his critics.

A Gray Cook/Mike Boyle Bosu Ball cert can't be far behind.
Danny John and Shaf are waiting for their checks and/or cert.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Nice bukkake platter.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I don't think I'm ever in line for that.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Cert money or bukkake?

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Jesus that piece that Tate wrote was fucking retarded. Just LOL at that.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Reminds me of the time I called home to the wife at 11:30 PM while really drunk and got the answering machine and oh god too late I should have hung up caller ID what do I say now...
Don’t believe everything you think.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

nafod wrote:Reminds me of the time I called home to the wife at 11:30 PM while really drunk and got the answering machine and oh god too late I should have hung up caller ID what do I say now...
Are you drunk now?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Mickey O'neil wrote:
nafod wrote:Reminds me of the time I called home to the wife at 11:30 PM while really drunk and got the answering machine and oh god too late I should have hung up caller ID what do I say now...
Are you drunk now?
I have had a couple of glasses of wine. It's kind of like in Beerfest when the guy can't remember where the bar was until he's drinking again. Zippo...total recall.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Ahh yes. Clubfoot Couch and his coon skin cap educate the military, part 3. Q&A time!

Pause this when the first question is asked (about 5 seconds in).

1. Look at the dipshits in the audience. Are these the people responsible for programming military fitness programs?
2. Based on her gesture towards Couch, the woman in white (upper right corner) is now an honorary IGXer.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/video/ ... ge3QA1.mov
Coach wrote:GPP is the most neglected aspect of athletic training, especially in the elite athlete.
WTF?!? If only Jerry Rice had done more PVC snatches.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Gin Master wrote:Ahh yes. Clubfoot Couch and his coon skin cap educate the military, part 3. Q&A time!

Pause this when the first question is asked (about 5 seconds in).

1. Look at the dipshits in the audience. Are these the people responsible for programming military fitness programs?
2. Based on her gesture towards Couch, the woman in white (upper right corner) is now an honorary IGXer.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/video/ ... ge3QA1.mov
Coach wrote:GPP is the most neglected aspect of athletic training, especially in the elite athlete.
WTF?!? If only Jerry Rice had done more PVC snatches.
Her gesture gets 4 clappys.
=D> =D> =D> =D>

If the WOD is intended to wear out an "elite" athlete, then what I said all along about bullshit posts in the comments is dead on. 90% of the liars who post their "Fran" times as sub 5min. are bullshitters of the highest order. :finga:

Anon

Post by Anon »

I guess this talk was before the new crossfit direction of including dick/stroking/cumming analogy?

Cooch needs to bring his own *shorter* furniture to future talks. The giant red chair lol.

I know that expression...it's "Eat at the Y"
"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

LOL at his answer to that first question. Absolute NONSENSE.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Link

Two questions and their corresponding answers from Couch:
This is the first Question and Answer video from the talk. In it, Coach Glassman answers two questions thoroughly: Is there any role of cycles or periodization with the CrossFit program? And, is there an issue with connective tissue adaptation with the intensity of CrossFit workouts, particularly as one ages?

The simple answers to both are no. GPP (General Physical Preparedness) is more important to creating a ready state conducive to elite performance training in any realm than any specialized physical training. To the second question, the CrossFit program, when introduced responsibly, has resulted in a statistically significant reduction in all-cause injury whenever it has been tested against existing PT programs.
Eh?

how in the holy fuck does the "answer" to the first question correspond AT ALL to the first question?? Just a bunch of gobbledygook that uneducated folks won't understand. The second, well, WHAT?? Crossfit causes fewer injuries? We've been down that road before. I guess if you make up your own metric, you can reach any conclusion, but a quick read through of the comments on any given day proves otherwise.
I don't know a lot about the military...blahblahblah...but what I do know a lot about is human performance.
God, what a fucking huckster.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Gin Master wrote:1. Look at the dipshits in the audience. Are these the people responsible for programming military fitness programs?

If they weren't total nebishes they would be front-line black souled hardass SPECOP warfighters. What did you expect REMF's to look like?
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Proto, you can kiss my ass for posting that link. I read the comments and am going to have to kill myself.
Cult Member wrote:His comment on "if you want to get better at Rugby, you gotta play rugby", and the thought that specialzed sport specific training is the best way to get better at that sport is a jewel.
::reaches for revolver::

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

What Couch said:
I don't know a lot about the military...blahblahblah...but what I do know a lot about is human performance.
What he should've said:
I don't know a lot about the military...blahblahblah...but what I do know a lot about is John Jesse's Wrestling Physical Conditioning book.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

steelydan
Sarge

Post by steelydan »

Isn't this self-evidently true? Of course elite athletes neglect general conditioning -- they have limited time and energy, and they spend it doing specific training for the thing that makes them elite.

If you're fit enough to train at a high level, then you have the GPP you need.

LiftHeavyShit
Sarge

Post by LiftHeavyShit »

protobuilder wrote:What Couch said:
What he should've said:
I don't know a lot about the military...blahblahblah...but what I do know a lot about is John Jesse's Wrestling Physical Conditioning book.
=D>

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

steelydan wrote:
Isn't this self-evidently true? Of course elite athletes neglect general conditioning -- they have limited time and energy, and they spend it doing specific training for the thing that makes them elite.

If you're fit enough to train at a high level, then you have the GPP you need.
You, sir, have a point. Too bad ole Cooch and his prancing band of fags are too busy hopping about and strokin' each others' egos.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/Fre ... reFlag.jpg

Now that shit is funny.

And it's good beer.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

The funny thing is, the term GPP can't even really be used without a specific task at hand.
For the max-strength focused powerlifter, GPP is what everyone on teh liftin' forumz thinks it is. Semi-intense, concentric-only conditioning work.

But that is only general preparedness training for someone not generally conditioned. For a long distance skier, general preparedness may be a bout of serious max-strength work or bodybuilding-type work to improve his muscular strength, when that is the factor holding his performance back.

Referring to GPP without a particular sport in mine is like saying "it's colder around here". Colder than fucking what?
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

GPP = In shape.

In the Soviet Union it meant you were basically fit enough for manual labor or soldiering.

Tim
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim »

In this thread, talking about a guy who did a workout with 250# thrusters and 500# deadlifts.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42117
But why the glorification of these super heavy Workouts? With weight that heavy and reps that low I feel like the time will reflect almost nothing but the overall strength of the athlete.