The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Dave

Re: The couch thread

Post by Dave »

nafod wrote:
upsideyahead wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyL_jIZodiM[/youtube]
OK, THAT was some funny shit. :rock:
:supz: :supz: :supz: =D> =D> =D> =D>
Made my fucking week!
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Jesus Motherfucking Christ.

Clearly someone needs to invent a PVC tractor tire.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Dave wrote:
nafod wrote:
upsideyahead wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyL_jIZodiM[/youtube]
OK, THAT was some funny shit. :rock:
:supz: :supz: :supz: =D> =D> =D> =D>
Made my fucking week!
Nugget that video Dave-- that is up there with the Troicassos.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Dave

Post by Dave »

you got it!

Done
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

That guy in the red Chucks has quite a rack on him.

Can't wait to get home and see this video everyone is raving about. My employer blocks YouTube.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Fishsticks

Post by Fishsticks »

Just some updates on AllisonNYTitty

Brendan Gilliam wrote:Im the luckiest guy on earth...... Your the most beautiful girl I've ever laid my eyes on.
March 27 at 8:50am · Comment · Like
Facebook wrote:Allison Bishop...

can't wait for B to take his shirt off
Yesterday at 11:12am · Comment · Like

is so proud of her Brendan. I love, love, love that man!
Sat 7:32pm · Comment · Like

is excited to watch Brendan work his hard ass off tomorrow! ♥
Fri 5:28pm · Comment · Like

loves Brendan and misses Mama and Boo
April 22 at 9:09pm · Comment · Like

is at bush gardens with mama, boo & bboy
April 19 at 11:33am · Comment · Like

has her three favorite people in the whole wide world - Mama, Little Boo and Brendan! ♥
April 16 at 4:42pm · Comment · Like

has the best boyfriend and the greatest, sweetest, kindest CrossFit family ever. I'm so lucky.
April 11 at 5:06pm · Comment · Like

has the sweetest boyfriend in the whole wide world
April 11 at 7:06am · Comment · Like

is making zone pancakes for Brendan before he wakes up :)
April 5 at 8:42am · Comment · Like

is going to watch A Haunting in Connecticut tonight with Brendan. oOoOOoO scary! I'm going to need B to stick to me like glue everywhere for a few days! I can't be alone after watching scary movies but I love them!
April 3 at 3:41pm · Comment · Like

is so happy and cozy at home with her big, strong, handsome, lovey man ♥ That one's for you Rob! ;)
April 1 at 9:18pm · Comment · Like

is so in love with Brendan. ♥
March 28 at 7:55pm · Comment · Like

is at the KettleBell Cert with Brendan
March 28 at 4:05pm · Comment · Like

is cooking dinner and waiting for Brendan to come home ♥
March 26 at 7:28pm · Comment · Like

is going to do front squats with the most handsome man in the world.
March 25 at 12:53pm · Comment · Like

loves Brendan
March 24 at 10:53pm · Comment · Like

couldn't dream up a more wonderful man than Brendan. ♥
March 11 at 9:32pm · Comment · Like

is having the best night with Brendan just hanging out at home. ♥
March 8 at 9:11pm · Comment · Like

is in love
March 8 at 9:45am · Comment · Like

is watching Brendan crush "Jackie"
March 6 at 12:09pm · Comment · Like
Last edited by Fishsticks on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatbastard
Corporal

Post by fatbastard »

The Unflushable DEATHTURD wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:Jesus Motherfucking Christ.

Clearly someone needs to invent a PVC tractor tire.
=D>

They'll be claiming elite strongman status soon.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Sofa King wrote:That guy in the red Chucks has quite a rack on him.
LOL! The Yentas on the other tire really crack me up. "Maude, this tire flipping is making me meshugena!"

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Fishsticks wrote:Just some updates on AllisonNYTitty

has her three favorite people in the whole wide world - Mama, Little Boo and Brendan! ♥

has the best boyfriend and the greatest, sweetest, kindest CrossFit family ever. I'm so lucky.

is going to watch A Haunting in Connecticut tonight with Brendan. oOoOOoO scary! I'm going to need B to stick to me like glue everywhere for a few days! I can't be alone after watching scary movies but I love them!

is so happy and cozy at home with her big, strong, handsome, lovey man ♥ That one's for you Rob! ;)

Fishsticks, you must have an iron stomach to actually be able to follow ANYC's Twitter feed.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
Fishsticks wrote:Just some updates on AllisonNYTitty

Fishsticks, you must have an iron stomach to actually be able to follow ANYC's Twitter feed.
Fishdick was one of the @fitters lifting that tire.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

OK, I finally got to see Thrusterhitler.
Haven't stopped crying. That simply destroys.

Hey @fit! PWNED!!!!11!!!!!11!!! :butthead:
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/JT_O ... _Part1.mov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cunts.

One. Why in the hell can't you count your own fucking reps during the workout? Can you really be so mindless as to be unable to do something so rudimentary during physical exertion? I'm sure a soldier in combat would have to do plenty of thinking while power cleaning a fallen brother, before carrying him, then push pressing him into a chopper before it takes off while under fire, or some functional shit like that.

Two. Why is CrossFit the best way to gauge "the most fittest person in the world?" Was there some universal vote among all fitness professionals, coaches, athletes, and trainees that I missed out on? How does sprawling around like that for 3:38 make you "fit?" Wouldn't having a seizure be just as effective cardiovascularly, and safer?

Three. Once upon a time, the WOD would actually say for you to grab a minimum of "x" inches of air for burpees. Motherfucking bullshit for time.

Seeing this bullshit almost makes me want to try some of the recent WOD's to see how I fare compared to these douchebags. I'm not strong at all, but I figure that I could put up a pretty decent time for most of the short ones, actually doing the exercises correctly. I'll do Fran once in a few weeks and see how it goes. Don't want to get pulled back into that endorphine addiction. I can hardly believe I associated myself with that garbage for so long. It didn't use to be such crap.

upsideyahead
Corporal

Post by upsideyahead »

Here are the lines I pulled from the "Why Thrusters Suck" thread and used in the ThrusterHitler video. Many thanks. Truly some great lines.

Shaf: (the thruster is a) bastardized low-skill compromise made up for trainees with training ADD

protobuilder: According to Couch, the barbell thruster is the 3d most functional, and foundational movement in the human kinetic hierarchy

Dano: It is a bastardized, poorly taught cluster-fuck of movements.

Expect another video in the near future.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

The Unflushable DEATHTURD wrote:Clearly someone needs to invent a PVC tractor tire.
Maybe they can start with one of these.....

syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

A sane voice in the herd? From the Caviston train wreck:
Sarah wrote:Came off a weekend of training others in this fine program created by Coach Glassman years ago. You see, I've been Crossfitting for 5 years now, and I really mean what I say when I say that I love " The WODs," which is my shorthand of saying "CrossFit Theories and Aims, towards a broad, general, and inclusive fitness."

Somewhere along the journey, there's been a viscious little undercurrent that plays not so infrequently that is nothing new in the great scheme of human existence, it just manifests itself in different ways. It takes the forms of " separation, better than, and differentiate by exclusion."

The use of the comment board to generate probing discussion, to highlight good form vs bad, and even post an article that reflects the political leanings of the author are, I would say, tolerable uses of the board.

But much along the lines of "The Emperor has no clothes" fable, I and others (and you'd better believe that if .01 % are posted thoughts like mine that many more are thinking it) Coach has to hear the criticism for what it's worth. Good form or bad, the post clearly was in bad taste--that's it: bad taste.

And, as predicted, I knew that there would be a napoleonic response by Coach, up to and including removal of the post. The initial response of removing my post speaks volumes, for anyone who wishes to hear the subtext.

There is inherent strength of character when someone who is a leader admits their error. Coach, as someone who educates many on the powerful tenets of Crossfit, refers many to links where you have educated us time and again, I still chide you for the exchanges in this post, as well as the ad hominem attacks on those who dissent.

Dismiss me as a troll, but I lay my head down at sleep knowing that in this case, on this matter, I was on the side of the angels.

Time to move on, (and marinate on the "grow up" statement, Coach)

Back to XFit

Comment #196 - Posted by: Sarah at April 27, 2009 2:32 PM
Her Majesty, Lynne Pitts wrote:Please do not continue to insult without knowing the facts. Coach did not remove your post; *I* did. He asked me to put it back.

So if you care to throw "Napoleonic" in MY direction, not his, at least I have the height to carry it.

"Bad taste" is coming into someone else's house and crapping on the carpet, which is what you did. I find that entirely more offensive than Coach defending his program and livelihood, of which you are the benefactor.

Angel? I think not.

Comment #197 - Posted by: Lynne Pitts at April 27, 2009 3:55 PM
Sarah wrote:Like I said, I love the WODs...

Big fan of yours too Lynne. My beef isn't with you. Coach's reasoning for putting the post back on?

Seriously. The small tunic still fits. But that's ok. CrossFit is much larger than Coach. To me, CrossFit is Tony Budding. CrossFit is Nicole Carroll, Kyle Maynard, Adrian Bozman, Todd Widman, Jon Gilson, Mark Rippetoe, Jeff Martin, Doug Chapman, Rob Wolfe, and countless others that don't let their character become fodder for discussion, that stick to the matter at hand, and resist the power afforded by having a bullypulpit such as this.

Coach needed to be called out, and he was. Why is it so hard for those that are probably closer to Coach than us low level CrossFitters to say, "Coach, that was a little too much...?"

Seriously!

Coach should be the figurehead of corporate responsibility. Don't even get me started on how if CrossFit were put under the microscope (cruise a fair share of you tube videos of CrossFit in action) that we wouldn't be fair game for the accusation that we take people that might have no prior training experience, or knowledge of human anatomy as it relates to form and function in athletic endeavor, and certify them with no practical examination of their skill set, and allow them to instruct others if they pay an affiliate fee? Thank God it has worked, but there is a LOT of bad instruction and bad movement done in the name of CrossFit! Pity it would be if someone leveled a charge at us? How would we respond?

I digress. Guilty as charged.

Repeat: Coach, you could have taken so many other avenues, given your standing in LEO/MIL circles. This was a poor choice, my opinion, shared by many, not shared by many.

Back to training.

Signed,

"necessary collateral damage"--Coach

Comment #200 - Posted by: Sarah at April 27, 2009 4:43 PM
Sarah should be heading to Irongarm any time now....
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Once again, Lynne Pitts reveals that she is probably the worst possible choice for a moderator or admin, anywhere. Even without the leaked screenshots, it's clear that she is not just petty, but downright nasty-minded. She's a rabid, menstruating version of Webby W. Webmaster, of the Hardgainer forums (of old) (sup Bill!) with absolutely no sense of humor. None at all.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Every fascist needs his brown shirts.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

No lie! The tyranny of little evils.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I just want to highlight this little gem from Sarah.
the soon to be Excommunicated, Sarah wrote:Don't even get me started on how if CrossFit were put under the microscope (cruise a fair share of you tube videos of CrossFit in action) that we wouldn't be fair game for the accusation that we take people that might have no prior training experience, or knowledge of human anatomy as it relates to form and function in athletic endeavor, and certify them with no practical examination of their skill set, and allow them to instruct others if they pay an affiliate fee?
HAHAHA!

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

protobuilder wrote:I just want to highlight this little gem from Sarah.
the soon to be Excommunicated, Sarah wrote:Don't even get me started on how if CrossFit were put under the microscope (cruise a fair share of you tube videos of CrossFit in action) that we wouldn't be fair game for the accusation that we take people that might have no prior training experience, or knowledge of human anatomy as it relates to form and function in athletic endeavor, and certify them with no practical examination of their skill set, and allow them to instruct others if they pay an affiliate fee?
HAHAHA!
Did she just attack the cash cow?

Science has yet to develop an instrument sensative enough to measure the amount of time her @fit priviledges remain intact.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

If you all want some laughs at couched cult-speak \:D/ , you have to see the RRG homepage:
http://www.crossfitrrg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$116,000 / $500,000
...of our capitalization has been raised to date.
Oh crap...and all the pleading...um, marketing hasn't been working on the sheeple, you say?
There are only 16 days remaining to contribute.
A limited time offer? If I try to click away from the page, does a pop-up window with a new lower price come up too? Does anyone seriously think that in 16 days, if it isn't fully funded, that the RRG is just going to disappear?
We need your support now. This is our community’s first line of defense.

In the world of fitness, the uniqueness of the CrossFit community stands out. But the same qualities that have built our community have created the need for a different approach to our insurance.

The reality is, no standard insurance company can provide the defense and coverage that our organization, affiliates and trainers really need.
Translation - nobody wants us 'cuz we hurt people. :ANAL: :Hangman:
A Risk Retention Group (RRG) is a form of self-insurance. An RRG is formed and owned by its policyholders, and covers specific liabilities and actions, which traditional insurance companies just don’t have the stomach for.
Or the cash to pay out giant gimme claims...
With the CF-RRG in place, CrossFit will defend itself and its trainers with a barrage of its own CrossFitters: medical professionals, expert witnesses, and seasoned lawyers.
True believers, to the last...
What If You Don’t Join?

Your decision is crucial to your business and to the future of CrossFit. The real risk comes from sitting on the sidelines thinking others will take care of it. The decision is up to you. If you think we’re asking too much, ask yourself, “Can I afford to lose my business, my livelihood and put the future of entire CrossFit community in peril?”

The CF-RRG is a new branch of our community, and not supporting our community could have devastating consequences for all of us. Purchasing insurance from the RRG will be completely optional, and won’t be required for affiliation. That being said, the real risk comes from not taking part in this program.

Affiliates and trainers who don’t participate risk being singled out and separated from the herd by opportunists. They will be devoured in the courtroom, stuck between an indifferent insurance company and omissions and errors in their insurance policy. When the time comes, they will be as valuable to the CF-RRG as the affiliates who do support it. By serving as sacrificial lambs, they will demonstrate the importance of being inside the castle wall.
OMG...scary...

Joe, you are truly right about the cult devolution, it is so plainly obvious in the above...
Rick Ross Cult FAQ wrote:Destructive Cult Mindset

Is there actually a kind of mindset within potentially unsafe or destructive groups?
Yes. There seems to be a typical mindset within most destructive cults. This is often characterized by black and white thinking, a low tolerance of ambiguity and a relentlessly judgemental attitude. Members of such a group often think in "we, they" opposing terms regarding those outside their group. This mindset frequently produces feelings of superiority and/or spiritual elitism, claims of supposed "persecution" and unreasonable fears. These fears typically concern the outside world and the consequences of disagreeing with or leaving the group.

How is such a mindset achieved?
Most often destructive cults, groups and/or leaders are able to shape a mindset based upon control of communication, association, and information through hyperactivity [what, like posting links to the RRG on both mainsite blogs everyday?] and/or isolation. This in turn provides the basis for further control of behavior, emotions and thinking, which has been called "mind control." This is frequently a gradual step-by-step process that includes facets of psychological persuasion and the principles of influence.

Destructive Cult Control

How can cults use communication to control people?
One example is through "loading the language," a feature of thought reform, characterized by thought terminating cliches [@F and cliches? No...]. Such cliches are easily memorized phrases and terms that essentially become communication shortcuts or "ultimate terms." This can have the effect of stopping critical thinking and independent analysis, essentially restricting and ultimately often constricting the mind.

How can cults control information?
Information is controlled in many cults by creating strict rules and/or guidelines regarding such things as books and outside reading, television, movies, radio, music and often even restricting associations with anyone who might express independent ideas, doubts or negative feelings about the group. The group and its leader(s) thus may become much like a filter, supposedly needed to help eliminate the "pollution", "poisons" and negativity of the outside world.
No comment really necessary on that last part. Maybe LynnE has something to add? :-# :-# :-#

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

If the $500,000 financial goal isn't reached, it's just a matter of time before Dear Leader posts an absolute, drunken, foaming-at-the-mouth tirade, skewering the entire Commune for failing to devote themselves properly to the Program that Couch has so selflessly created for their enjoyment. To turn their backs on him after all he's done, it will be more than his ego can stand.

CultBuster
Staff Sergeant

Post by CultBuster »

[quote]We've got 16 days left to fund the CrossFit Risk Retention Group. If you believe in the idea that we all band together to protect our own interests, tell five other CrossFit affiliates/trainers about it and why they should join. And if you're not a member of the RRG, tell us why. We're curious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment #2 - Posted by: Blair Lowe at April 27, 2009 11:45 PM
Steve -- well, you could certainly look at it that way, but it would be like saying the barbell is only broken in the middle, I can still use the ends. A class-action lawsuit would affect all of us (I'm counting myself as an affiliate owner here also, in addition to being a member of CFHQ) in its deep repercussions, whether they be in the public relations realm or the withdrawal of coverage by insurers or the crippling of CFHQ. CFHQ may not seem that important to some people, but who protects the trademark we all enjoy as affiliate owners? Who provides the guiding force and the innumerable manhours and funding that supports the Games, the main page WOD, even this very blog we converse on right now? Without a guiding force, we would have no community, no trademark, no "CrossFit" -- that name would be freely appropriated by anyone who wanted it and no one would be able to stop them.

As for the rest of your amateur legal advice, that's about as helpful as leasing my car to avoid getting sued by someone that I rear-end. I don't own the car right, so what are they going to attach? Oh, wait, things are a little more complicated than that, aren't they?

Comment #3 - Posted by: Lisbeth at April 28, 2009 4:55 AM
I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to explain it any better than a lawyer and insurance professionals, but it makes sense to me. I was on board when I heard the presentation at FilFest. Every US affiliate should be on board, no question. I know money's tight, but we scrounged it together. We need to make this work!

An LLC is a good idea, but we all know that nothing provides total protection. Circle the wagons when it's necessary!

Comment #4 - Posted by: Amy - CF NRV at April 28, 2009 4:59 AM
We're not members because the RRG isn't available to those affiliates outside the USA :-( We're "out in the cold" up here in Canada, in more ways than one!

Comment #5 - Posted by: Jocelyn R at April 28, 2009 5:01 AM
Blair -- that's a good question. We have a deadline of May 15th because to "step up" an RRG, there are certain administrative deadlines that need to be met, as set by the different insurance boards in all of the states. If we can fund the RRG by May 15th, then RRG can be effective (and writing policies) as of July 1st. The longer we wait, the longer we have to wait for coverage, which means the greater our exposure as a community. This coverage needs to take place as soon as possible, for the good of us all.

Comment #6 - Posted by: Lisbeth at April 28, 2009 5:34 AM
I will be coming on board shortly.
Just had a business deal turn out badly which set me back quite a bit.
I do believe that the RRG is very important, and will do my utmost to support it.

Comment #7 - Posted by: Frank at April 28, 2009 5:43 AM
I really like the idea and want to participate, but we only have $233.66 in the account right now. With this deadline, I might have to scrounge up some extra cash and put it to work.

Comment #8 - Posted by: John at April 28, 2009 6:50 AM
I will be coming on board shortly as well. I think the RRG is vital to our success.

We are moving into a new box and waiting for my loan to get here and clear.

I'll call some affiliate friends today and chat to them about joining.

Comment #9 - Posted by: Jeremy Stecker @ Eugene Crossfit at April 28, 2009 7:42 AM
I want to join the RRG as i think that it is important but having just moved into my box and just now making all my big equipment purchases and having my affiliation renewal payment due in June money is a little tighter than I would like it to be.

I want to pay in increments because I am more comfortable with that but I would not have the full $1000 paid before the 15th. If I have some money invested by the 15th but not all does that give me any credit towards inclusion if it goes through by then?

Neal- CF Katy

Comment #10 - Posted by: Neal at April 28, 2009 8:56 AM
Steve, #1

Your plan would be brilliant if the LLC without assets or insurance was doing the training, but I suspect that it will be individual CrossFit trainers/affiliate owners who do the training and they can be sued as individuals, even if they work for the no asset LLC. (The individual trainer was a named defendant in the Makimba Mimms case) So, unless your trainer or LLC owner wants to remain broke all his life, never possess an asset that can be levied on, and never have income that can be garnished, then they will need to be covered by insurance.

Comment #11 - Posted by: Dan MacD at April 28, 2009 10:05 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been funded fully already. There are some things in business that you must bite the bullet on and pay for. Insurance is one of them and the RRG is a must for the future of CF and for affiliates. Pay with your credit card now and work to pay the $1000 card balance later.

Comment #12 - Posted by: Steve- CF Ocean City at April 28, 2009 11:05 AM
Less than 100 affiliates have paid in? Are you kidding me? What's wrong with this picture?

Comment #13 - Posted by: Steve- CF Ocean City at April 28, 2009 11:09 AM[Quote]

Are they just begining to realize that not EVERTYONE is as stupid as they think?

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

Jeezus christ they're loons, everyone of them :finga:

syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

I always love the cliched retort of commune members..."couch and Lauren do this site for FREE!!!, so piss off and go away if you don't like it!"

AFAIK, visiting any website (that isn't password-protected for a fee, pretty much) is free. What site owners typically post there is called marketing, to get clients to spend money. Everything else in @F requires significant $$ devotionals. They are so kind and giving of themselves, aren't they? :vom: