The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Re: The couch thread

Post by Crust Bucket »

Jeezus #-o His new name should be Mr. Accordion.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

The Bastard Son of the Shafman wrote:The hand thing is fucking retarded. I bet it's because they tape the chin bars up.

Seriously. You can't train with fucked up, tore up hands, and all that blood is not on whatever equipment they used. And probably not washed off. In any other situation with blood discipline that would be considered a biohazard.

The puking thing: It's so cute that guy looks normal except for those African ear plugs. He's now unique and special because of a low grade body mod.

I've torn my hands in competition, but almost never in training, and it's always been with supramaximal rack pulls or something or farmers walks.
@fitters fixate on these things as badges of honor because they can't achieve anything noteworthy.
Average Douchebag @fit Faggot wrote: I can barely squat bodyweight, I run a nine minute mile, and I can only do three chinups, but I puke like a champ and my hands bleed all over the place. Look at how fuckin' HARDCORE I am!
It's no different from the tribal tats and the ear plug piercings. They suck at real performance, so they fixate on window dressing.

You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Anon

Post by Anon »

"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Mark Barry wrote:My brother, 39yo suffered a Stroke last Friday while warming up for his CF workout.
Steven Low wrote:I'm no doc or PT... but best thing to do is to get his nervous system firing as much as possible. This will lead to faster recovery of strength and everything.

If he's having problems with his arms/hands then give him something he can squeeze all throughout the day... as much as possible as long as possible. Same with the leg.. use your dexterity in the toes to flex/extend.. possibly pick stuff up. Balance work by standing on one leg.. too easy go to unstable surface like balance board or eyes closed

Get the nervous system back up and running/adapting/growing as fast as possible will lead to significantly less atrophy.

Evaluating functional mobility should probably be done by a PT... but unless there's something drastically wrong I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea to start working strength back up.

IIRC there's some studies out there which show that bodyweight exercises give more nervous system activation than with weights so get him doing that if possible.... if he can support himself on rings that would be ideal for upper body since that will give a HUGE amount of stabilization/activation work.
So Steven Low, who just popped his head in the thread, has experience helping people train after recovering from a stroke?

Answer: No

He's a bullshitter just like the rest of them.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

My brother, 39yo suffered a Stroke last Friday while warming up for his CF workout. The trainers noticed something was wrong and sat him down and called his wife. When he tried to get up and walk he was dragging his left leg. They immediately call 911 and he was hospitalized.
Does anyone know if there is any material in the forum or does anyone have any recommendations for rehab once cleared. He has been CrossFitting for about eight months and wants to get back into it ASAP.
Hardcore. That story would make a fine affiliate t-shirt.
Your workout is our warmup
You'll Hurt Your Back

Trebuchet

Post by Trebuchet »

IIRC there's some studies out there which show that bodyweight exercises give more nervous system activation than with weights so get him doing that if possible.... if he can support himself on rings that would be ideal for upper body since that will give a HUGE amount of stabilization/activation work.
Don't use the rings Frodo...
"My resting heart rate is 39 when I don't read posts on the bad forum" - Marty

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

LOL at post-stroke ring training for an @Fitter who likely couldn't do 3 ring dips in the first place.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Sole Beneficiary of Brother's Life Insurance wrote:He has been CrossFitting for about eight months and wants to get back into it ASAP.
Actually, it's the lesion saying that ASAP stuff.
"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

Post by ___________ »

FUCK I WANT TO NUKE CROSSFIT HQ
At what temperature does gin ignite?

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

Steven Low may be talking out of turn there, since he's not a doctor (last I checked, he's in the application process for med school), but he's not a bullshitter either. He might talk about the CNS in nearly every post he makes, but he does know what he's talking about. It's not by sheer luck that he's got something around a 1.5x bodyweight dip, additional to his own weight. Granted, he's a small guy and doesn't do any leg work because of a bum knee, but I remember him also pulling 2x bodyweight deadlifts for doubles or triples back two years ago before he was injured. He definitely understands how to make the CNS work well. He's not a CrossFitter either, for what that's worth.
MarcoFP wrote:FUCK I WANT TO NUKE CROSSFIT HQ
At what temperature does gin ignite?
CFHQ is in DC now, about a quarter mile away from the Church of Scientology HQ. It's not an actual gym (as if any of the CF daycare centers are), just a business office. Glassman shut down his CF Mecca so he could retire to Arizona.

CrossFit Inc
1250 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
Suite 200
Washington, DC 20036
202-449-8533

Kraj
Sgt. Major

Post by Kraj »

Damn, a stroke at that age? I'm curious what this guy's training/eating habits were earlier in his life.

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

I think it is funny how people ask serious medical questions on a fucking forum. That is what doctors and therapists are for.

As much as Steven Low seems like he is rational and intelligent, he might actually be making his way to my ignore list so I don't have to read his posts when I look over there. He will be right aside Jamie Skibicki and Katherine Derbyshire for some of the most annoying people on that forum.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

I thought those wittier than I might have fun with this one...

A @Fitter walks in to a bar and says to the bartender...? :partyman:

CultBuster
Staff Sergeant

Post by CultBuster »

Posted this here instead of the nutrition site because I know that there are a good number of PTs and other smart folks that visit the injury site.

I have a client who puked on his first visit. (He was doing a jump rope warm up). He is moderately overweight....So I chalked it up to the first day. No problems during the next 2 visits, then today he was extremely sick after running about 250yds. He was going to do a severly scaled version of the WOD, 3 rounds of run 250yds/20 sqts. He had done a warm up and this was the first 250. He got to the end, was feeling faint, then began puking on and off for about 20 minutes.

As I questioned him I found out that he is on Adderol (sp?) for ADD. He is 20. AND...He was taking Hydroxy cut. (None of this was previously disclosed.) I believe he may also be on an anti-depressant (he didn't give me a name, but I will get it tomorrow).

1. I believe I should tell him to get approval from his doctor before he comes back.
2. I told him to knock off the Hydroxy cut.
3. We had a serious talk about nutrition. (He is 20 and I think he is trying to cut weight by not eating, hydroxy cut and crossfit)

Questions:
1. Is it likely that the puking was caused by the ADD meds and the Hydroxy cut?
2. Should I tell him that I won't train him unless he gets a Doctor's note?
3. At what point should a client puking really worry me? I've read all the Rhabdo articles and I'm very familiar with heat related injuries, (I've crewed the Badwater, and been in the Corps for a long time) but I am still looking for some other guidance.

(FYI...he was warm and sweaty to the touch and not Cold/clammy or hot/dry...and he was lucid the entire time)

Thanks for any input.
RicT
I realize that I should have had all this information prior to him ever doing amy work out ion my gym..sorry box. I know that NSCA and everyone else uses PAR Q and medical history forms, but with RRG fully funded I assumed that I can fuck up as hard as I want gecause they will never settle and we will have lawyers that understand what @fit is really about. Fucking idiots!
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=46801
Last edited by CultBuster on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Resident Quack wrote:A @Fitter walks in to a bar...

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

Gin Master wrote:
Resident Quack wrote:A @Fitter walks in to a bar...
LOL tribal tat and everything. Only if they would have brought some PVC pipe.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

A great sig/avatar to save us from the faggotry. That's one of my all time favorites, the great Shay Laren.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Resident Quack wrote:I thought those wittier than I might have fun with this one...

A @Fitter walks in to a bar and says to the bartender...? :partyman:
"Dammit, I told that visiting PLer to store the bar away when he was done with it and put the PVC back on the squat rack!"

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

Gin Master wrote:A great sig/avatar to save us from the faggotry. That's one of my all time favorites, the great Shay Laren.
Damn. I didn't even know who she was. I just wanted a fancy signature so I typed "boobs gif" on google. She is a fox.

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

Gin Master wrote:A great sig/avatar to save us from the faggotry. That's one of my all time favorites, the great Shay Laren.
YOU MUST ANNOTATE WHETHER ALL LINKS ARE WFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL j/k. There were a bunch of nudie pics that pop up on google if your safe search is off though. Not that I am complaining. :mmmgood:

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

@Faggotry can be caught at earlier and earlier ages...
B-Boi must really be influencing the kids. :ANAL:

sanchezero

Post by sanchezero »

B is a role model to us all...if only as a cautionary tale.
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

sanchezero wrote:B is a role model to us all...if only as a cautionary tale.
If he and ANYC didn't exist, IGx would have had to invent them.
You'll Hurt Your Back

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Hi All

I am new to the Cross fit site but have been doing boot camp (basically it's cross fit). I have a question. I cannot do any thing that is jarring such as running, jumping rope ect. I was in a car accident and have two blown discs in my neck.

What would you recommend I do instead of the running or jumping rope.

Thanks you in advance to all who can help me
So this "@Fit" bootcamp instructor cannot come up with his/her own sub exercises? Sounds about right.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Thank you very much. I was wondering who that was.