The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by nafod »

Resident Quack wrote: Awesome and signaturized...grassyass, GM!
I'll always remember, going through OCS and having to run the Obstacle Course ("O" Course) in P-cola. Killer workout. This is 1985. Probably not too far off from PL54's class date at Av Indoc. We had athletes from all different sports in our groups. A Wide Reciever from Boston U. Track bubbas. Wrestlers. And the record holder for the O Course was about 10 seconds faster than anyone else. Surprised everybody, since he didn't really play a sport, just exercised.

An Aerobics Instructor prior to joining up.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Tim
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim »

JohnnyBadAss wrote:Our favorite large breasted friend apparently had a rough weekend with B-Boi.
AllisonNYC is walking funny from 84 fs with 135#. brutal!
Anyone really think it was from front squats? And why do 84 with 135lbs? Why not do say, 5x3 @ 225?
My first thought was 84 = 21+18+15+12+9+6+3, does this mean I have some sort of math OCD?

macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

what happens when a real athlete does a crossfit workout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHEkokQSGmU

notice the lack of slop

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

macmad wrote:what happens when a real athlete does a crossfit workout

notice the lack of slop
Lack of slop and still falling short of many of the simplest and most basic of movement standards (like ever locking his elbows). @Fers fail at the margins of their existence, for the most part--either too sloppy or not actually doing the movements to standard. He is now a true @Fer.

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

CultBuster wrote:This shit is actually pretty good!

http://www.byersgetsdiesel.com/2008/12/ ... nough.html
Byers is def one of the better looking products out of douchefit. I would kiss her in places she doesn't wash.

They should push her as a poster girl more.
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

notice the lack of slop
That guy would OWN at the gaymes if his running is even halfway decent, and he is in his mid fucking forties. Imagine what some of the young, lightweight olympic lifters right now could do to the @fitters.

Dalp
Recruit

Post by Dalp »

Resident Quack wrote:

notice the lack of slop
Lack of slop and still falling short of many of the simplest and most basic of movement standards (like ever locking his elbows). @Fers fail at the margins of their existence, for the most part--either too sloppy or not actually doing the movements to standard. He is now a true @Fer.
He's got a long way to go to being a true crossfitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDld_l3x ... re=related

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

notice the lack of slop
Sorry, but Glassman's program is still the way to elite fitness, clearly.

Anon

Post by Anon »

When did the kipping muscle-ups become kosher, I guess I have not been paying attention.

It's like a level zero skill forchristsakes lol

no pride zero
"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

JamesonBushmill wrote:Byers is def one of the better looking products out of douchefit. I would kiss her in places she doesn't wash.
Hope she's reinforced that shower curtain rod.

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48566

LOL at this shit. These guys have no idea what is going on or what to even say. They just can't wrap their head around the fact that Josh Everett's time was demolished.

Kraj
Sgt. Major

Post by Kraj »

Fish wrote:http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48566

LOL at this shit. These guys have no idea what is going on or what to even say. They just can't wrap their head around the fact that Josh Everett's time was demolished.
poor ROM on everything but deads - but with some coaching on CF ROM standards, I think he'd still crush it.
Yeah, that's what this former Olympian who just totally showed them up at their own game needs - coaching for their bullshit standards.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

JimZipCode wrote:
JamesonBushmill wrote:Byers is def one of the better looking products out of douchefit. I would kiss her in places she doesn't wash.
Hope she's reinforced that shower curtain rod.

"HELLLLLLLOOOOOOO NURSE!"
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

What a cutie pie

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Kraj wrote:
Fish wrote:http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48566

poor ROM on everything but deads - but with some coaching on CF ROM standards, I think he'd still crush it.
Yeah, that's what this former Olympian who just totally showed them up at their own game needs - coaching for their bullshit standards.
Haha.

[quoe="Andrew Meyer"]He's a monster. Anyone who says anything to the contrary needs to have their head checked and kool-aid rationed.

CF ROM coaching? He was a weightlifter in the goddamn Olympics. He was coached by those far more qualified than ANY CF coach could hope to be.

CultBuster
Staff Sergeant

Post by CultBuster »

Yeah -
Standards?!? We don't need no stinkin standards!

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

That thread is great. Crossfit ROM standards? HAHAHAHAH.

Did JE ride the cleans down to full FS? I don't remember and don't care enough to watch that vid. JE is a real deal athlete and ironically, not really a crossfitter either.

Trebuchet

Post by Trebuchet »

David Morgan lifted 140kg in the snatch & 162 in the C&J at the last World Masters games - when he was 41. I hope he's giving it another shot in Sydney in October. I find it highly very amusing people are calling him out on form. Must feel very threatened by his proven ability to lift heavy shit in a highly technical fashion.
"My resting heart rate is 39 when I don't read posts on the bad forum" - Marty

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Every so often I punch myself right in the balls and elect not to post something that sounds like Doug McGuff or Fred Hahn talking about 'exercise safety'.

Fucking hell.

Hank Scorpio
A Mean Caucasian

Post by Hank Scorpio »

The Bastard Son of the Shafman wrote:That thread is great. Crossfit ROM standards? HAHAHAHAH.

Did JE ride the cleans down to full FS? I don't remember and don't care enough to watch that vid. JE is a real deal athlete and ironically, not really a crossfitter either.
Check this one out:
Originally Posted by Andrew Meyer
He's a monster. Anyone who says anything to the contrary needs to have their head checked and kool-aid rationed.

CF ROM coaching? He was a weightlifter in the goddamn Olympics. He was coached by those far more qualified than ANY CF coach could hope to be.
but he wasn't coached to CF standards, and since he's doing a CF workout his coach's other qualifications don't really mean much as far as standards go.

You have no chance to survive make your time.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

*snicker* some XF douche is arguing with Hauer about it on Facebook. It's insidious manfuckery at best.

JohnnyBadAss
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnnyBadAss »

Saturday's CF Gaymes events posted: http://games2009.crossfit.com/
General Rules
1. The movement standards are typical HQ unless otherwise stated. [i.e., horrible form]
2. Each athlete will be ranked according to their time or score relative to the other athletes for that workout. Their final score for the workout will be equal to their rank.
3. The overall ranking going into each event will determine the reverse starting order for that event. For example, the athletes that win the first event will get to go last in the second event, while the athletes that come in last in the first event must go first in the second. The athletes in the lead (those with the lowest running total) after two events get to go last in the third event. And so forth.
4. After the second event, the bottom ten men and the bottom ten women (those with the most points) will be eliminated from the competition.
5. After the fourth event, the remaining bottom ten men and ten women will be eliminated from the competition. At this point, there will be approximately 55 athletes competing in Saturday's final event (for each men and women).
6. After the fifth event, the 16 men and 16 women with the lowest total points will be invited to compete on Sunday. If by chance there is a tie for 16th place, the athlete with the best single placement in any of the five events will be awarded the invite.

Event 1 - The Run
The first event is a 7.1km run through varied terrain including both asphalt and extremely steep hills off trail. The athlete's time will be electronically determined by a chip given to the athlete prior to the race.

Event 2 - The Deadlift
Heaviest successful deadlift completed lifting one rep every 30sec. Each competitor will begin at the first barbell, which weighs 315lbs for men and 185lbs for women. Dropping is permitted. The athlete then has 10sec plus any portion of the 20sec remaining to set up at the next bar, which is 10lbs heavier than the previous (so the second bar weighs 325/195). Athletes continue moving to progressively heavier bars until they fail. The athletes are ranked according to the heaviest successful weight lifted before failing.

Event 3 - The Sandbag Hill Sprint
The men will pick up two 35lb sandbags (loosely packed) and sprint approximately 170m uphill. The sandbags begin flat on the ground. The sprint is steep in places, with approximately 100' in elevation gain over the 170m course. Women carry one 35lb sandbag for the same course.

Event 4 - Row / Hammer Stake
Row 500m
Hammer a 4' metal stake into specially prepared, evenly compacted ground (women use a 3' stake)
Row 500m
Details and standards will be given to the athletes on Saturday afternoon.

Event 5 - The Couplet
The two exercises are wallball and barbell snatch. The specifics of the workout will be disclosed on Saturday afternoon. We want the athletes to have the privilege of being the first to perform this exact workout.
These actually strike me as being more old school @F than the new style of endurance weightlifting. Wait for it though...someone will watch a strongman competition and comment that the keg deadlift where they keep loading heavy kegs into a trailer is "CF style working out". Event 2 is basically strongman for non-strongmen.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Enough of this manrammery about ROM and slop and whatever.

Welcome to Androgen Friday, enjoy your stay!

You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

JohnnyBadAss wrote:Saturday's CF Gaymes events posted: http://games2009.crossfit.com/
Event 2 - The Deadlift
Heaviest successful deadlift completed lifting one rep every 30sec. Each competitor will begin at the first barbell, which weighs 315lbs for men and 185lbs for women. Dropping is permitted. The athlete then has 10sec plus any portion of the 20sec remaining to set up at the next bar, which is 10lbs heavier than the previous (so the second bar weighs 325/195). Athletes continue moving to progressively heavier bars until they fail. The athletes are ranked according to the heaviest successful weight lifted before failing.
What pussies. 315, 325, 335, 345....LMFAO! Start at 315, then go 405, then 495, then 585, and see who hangs and who can't. Fucking pussies.
Event 3 - The Sandbag Hill Sprint
The men will pick up two 35lb sandbags (loosely packed) and sprint approximately 170m uphill. The sandbags begin flat on the ground. The sprint is steep in places, with approximately 100' in elevation gain over the 170m course. Women carry one 35lb sandbag for the same course.
This actually sounds like fun.
Event 4 - Row / Hammer Stake
Row 500m
Hammer a 4' metal stake into specially prepared, evenly compacted ground (women use a 3' stake)
Row 500m
Driving a spike? LMAO Cultfitters really are READY 4 ANYTHING! I assume they'll have an aid station nearby for all the dumbfucks who hammer their shins on accident.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

[quote="protobuilder"What pussies. 315, 325, 335, 345....LMFAO! Start at 315, then go 405, then 495, then 585, and see who hangs and who can't. Fucking pussies.[/quote]

This is bullshit. The first event is to tax the hell out of guys with big legs. The DL event is also meant to tax the strong guys. The guys in the 350 range will pull three times and sit, while the big pullers are going to have to lift 15-20 times at 75%+.

The Gaymes are still guy, but this is quite a physical test. I'll celebrate their eliteness tomorrow by having a roll on the mat, a rack of ribs, and a couple brews.

Gorilla, awesome work, brother.