Bodyweight Revolution (redux)

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

Bodyweight Revolution (redux)

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

OK, since the last fellow who posted here couldn't take the ribbing and left in a huff, I thought I would try to review it again so people will consider BER on its own merits, apart from the personality quirks of self promoting yo-yos. You guys can take all the shots at me that you want...I'm used to it.

Anyway...

$45+ for an e-book may seem like a lot, but it's very well thought out, very well organized (with a couple of editorial gaffes, but nothing critical), and you do get access to downloadable video clips that demonstrate the exercises and routines for each section of the book. The table of contents is almost as long as the book itself, which is nice when you are trying to locate a particular idea or concept. Steer and Murdock provide a website with a forum where you can ask questions or discuss ideas etc, and they are very good about answering posts within a day or two. The site itself isn't especially RMAX in its look and feel, and most of the posters are not hard core CST guys.

People who like Sonnon's approach to bodyweight exercise but don't want to drink the Kool-Aid will probably like this collection. The 4x7 training template appeals to my common sense (based on the book "Consistent Winning", but repurposed for strength/mobility/bodyweight exercise instead of distance running). It incorporates drills from "Flow Fit I", "Forward Pressure" and some of the other ideas Sonnon has introduced over the years (maybe he didn't invent them, but in most cases, his intro's were the first time I saw them) in a nice, progressive, sustainable format, and you can get through your daily program in a reasonable amount of time.

The programs include strength development, hypertrophy, fat loss, general athleticism, and longevity. (I find it interesting that the longevity program focuses heavily on the one legged squat/pistol). You can also used the template to implement other "generalized" programs - Flow Fit I fits nicely in this category.

Murdock and Steer appear to be very capable and display admirable athleticism and overall fitness in their clips. The editorial style has very little self puffery a-la Matt Furey - they just show you what they can do, and show you how to do it.

I'm working on the General Athleticism program right now, Phase I, and the Metcon workout for the high intensity day absolutely kicked my butt, but left me feeling pretty good. In a month, I'll move over to the Longevity program, then try the GA program again, etc.

I'm satisfied with the purchase and the program - it lets me incorporate yoga and JM and chi kung, so I don't have to give up things I enjoy doing, but lets me do hard exercise as well. YMMV.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Dave

Re: Bodyweight Revolution (redux)

Post by Dave »

Good Review,and yes it is an excellent value
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

lnx plz
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

Fat Cat wrote:lnx plz

The book itself is available at

http://www.bodyweightexerciserevolution.com/

Steer and Murdock have a support site at

http://www.bodyweightcoach.com/forum/
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

tnx lmn
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Get Ready to Uncover the Secret Bodyweight Workouts Known to Only a Chosen Few - Elite Athletes, Rock Stars, and CEO's - in the Inner Circle of World-Renowned CST Trainers Ryan Murdock and Adam Steer.
I was sort of considering purchasing this book then I saw "Secret, Rock Stars, CEO's, and World-Renowned" in the same sentence. Don't care how good it is, I'm no longer interested even if it means I'll never be elite.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

preez to email me copy for review!

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Get Ready to Uncover the Secret Bodyweight Workouts Known to Only a Chosen Few - Elite Athletes, Rock Stars, and CEO's - in the Inner Circle of World-Renowned CST Trainers Ryan Murdock and Adam Steer.
I was sort of considering purchasing this book then I saw "Secret, Rock Stars, CEO's, and World-Renowned" in the same sentence. Don't care how good it is, I'm no longer interested even if it means I'll never be elite.
I don't blame you. I automatically filter out that kind of ad copy "noise" these days, and I hardly noticed it.

What got me to purchase the package was a "FAQ" post on their forum, where Steer/Murdock explained how this program was different from (but incorporated) almost all of the classic CST protocols and drills, and put them in a context where you knew what to do when, and when to rest and when to ramp up. Forward Pressure, Be Breathed, Flow Fit I, most of the stuff from Body Flow, joint mobility, Prasara...it's all in there.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Ugh. The ad copy of instant death.

What's the rationale for "longevity?" They get lots of mice doing pistols?
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

GoDogGo wrote:
What's the rationale for "longevity?" They get lots of mice doing pistols?
I think its a strength and balance thing. Level 1 is actually a version of the 4 corner balance drill, which (IMO) every sedentary older person , esp with balance and stability issues, ought to be doing every day.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

Leg strength and balance are tightly correlated with longevity. No way would I buy this nonsense. They need to drop the price by at least 50%. And if this repackaged shit, fuck them. Sonnon just sells the same shit over and over to the same people, primarily his cult.

He seemed to be changing his ways for half a second, but he went back to his former douche bagness. When he was here letting us take our shots at him, it became obvious he had a good sense of humor and even altered some of his silliness on his blog due to comments made here.

And he gave Marco a lot of good advices for free!

Plus I can never forgive them for Rmax Powered Running. I'd just gotten over the nonsense about his Anti-HIV-magic-grappling-boots-of-strength-and-agility. ](*,)

(TM)

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Those anti HIV magic boots sure did have a lot of IGx purchasers

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I have a hard time accepting that people would be enticed by magic booties, and yet, there it is.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Furman bought 4 pairs because Guru Pakitka Sinskiskimimtickiekcia said that you can hold a knife in your foot for a special brand of Silat.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I grapple in nothing but UGS and baby oil.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

Guru Haji Pak Muhammad Ariffin Mang Ipin . Blades in the feet? Yes, amongst other tricks.
When he comes to this country, I'll have him do some bone massage on you.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

Holy shit, I actually read the jibberish. It is an E-BOOK! $45?!?! How much is the fucking shipping? When I said 50% less might be fair, I thought we were discussing a fucking DVD.

$9.99 at most.

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

Norman U. Senchbau wrote:Holy shit, I actually read the jibberish. It is an E-BOOK! $45?!?! How much is the fucking shipping? When I said 50% less might be fair, I thought we were discussing a fucking DVD.

$9.99 at most.
I agree that Sonnon seems to have gone screwy again. Not coincidentally, this seems to have happened at the same time that his MMA coaching stint ended.

These two guys display none of those tendencies, though - they just talk about training and technique in a straight-forward way.
========================================================

You do get about 40 minutes of video clips to download along with the e-book.

IMO, it's no more overpriced than the typical Dragondoor/Pavel product. (They were charging $29.95 for 140-150 pages of 10 page table-of-content sections, wide margins, double spaced lines of copy and 10 pages of ads for other DD products 10 years ago, remember? And $69.95 for 36 minutes of "Resilient"?)

It's a repackaging, but it's a good repackaging. I've bought a ton of RMAX stuff over the years, but this program pulled it together for me.

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

I just bought it. The marketing copy is over the top, and then it's followed by a barrage of e-mails and constant invitations in the book to buy more products. I e-mailed Steer to take me off the e-mail list and he took me off quickly and was very nice about it.

The book is very interesting. I got FlowFit when Sonnon was offering it as a promo, and found it very challenging. This takes it to the level of a full-blown workout. The book is detailed, comprehensive, and (to me) unique. Looks like a great program for those starting the second fifty years of our lives.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I can't comment.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

HH, how many different programs are you going to start and quit to try to lose weight before you realize it is your lack of discipline? Seriously.

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Mickey O'neil wrote:HH, how many different programs are you going to start and quit to try to lose weight before you realize it is your lack of discipline? Seriously.
Mick, I'm down about 15 pounds for the year. I've been doing kettlebell and bodyweight circuits for a number of years along with treadmill and air-dyne, which I can do while keeping up with daily reading. (If you're really that interested, I've kept a log here for a few years.) I want to try a different program. Chill.