The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The couch thread

Post by powerlifter54 »

KBois wrote:
I also noticed he only did one. Aren't you supposed to do like 75 of them in a row to achieve greatness?
clearly meatplow doesn't know shit about programming his WOD
get to your local box, man

Or they could head to Wake Forest:
Folks,

Just finished Game Day:

Power Clean Only

O-Line, D-Line: 50 sets of 2 reps @ 242 lbs. in 50 mins. or 50 sets of 1 rep in 50 mins.

Linebackers, Tight Ends, fullbacks:
50 sets of 2 reps @ 220 lbs. in 50 mins. or 264 lbs. for 50 sets of 1 rep in 50 mins.

All others: 50 sets of 2 reps @ 198 lbs. or 50 sets of 1 rep @ 242 lbs. in 50 mins.

We had many guys doing 308+ lbs. doing singles for the last 20-30 sets. We had a few guys doing 308+ lbs. for all 50 sets of 1's. They are permitted to go above the rquired weight if they want. We had 2-3 guys get new PR's on Power Clean.

Basically we do a set every 60 secs. Great workout today!

Afterwards we have all OL, DL, TE, FB and LB's push a 300 lbs. wooden sled for at least 50 yds. Many will push a full 120 yards.

Lots of torn callouses today.

For those skeptical about power cleans being dangerous I have trained athletes for going on 30 years now without a ruptured disc, herniated disc or fractured vertebra. Knock on wood! It could happen. However, I know of alot of serious back injuries with folks using a leg press. Im not saying it can't or won't happen. It could very well happen but it hasn't. I have trained many athletes that are now in their mid to late 40's and they have no back issues. Don't be afraid of the lifts, just teach them correctly and have fun!

In Strength,
Ethan Reeve
The torn up hands will draw them like flies to pukie...
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

A new thread from my favorite asshole on @fit:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=51413
Gant Grimes wrote:As a self-admitted newb, you need to log off, chalk up, and spend 5 years under a bar without worrying about all this other crap. Do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps in the basic lifts--squat, bench, deadlift, press, and power clean. Do some pullups and sprint work from time to time. Eat. Rest.

You're not going to get stronger by talking about it.
Sean J Hunter wrote:Cheers Gant,

I am lifting and am at just a little over intermediate level on the CF standards on all 10 lifts.

I appreciate that at this time I will be a level 2 guy (i.e. linear gains guys) for quite some time.

However I disagree with your take on this specific topic. I see no problem in someone DOING AND LEARNING. My questions arn't incredable detailed and I see nothing wrong with getting a overview of how stuff works in general. We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

My questions are aimed at level 2 (Linear gains) programming, I am currently in a linear gains space...

I guess your saying that you perfer the "Straight" Method of 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps at or near max. Great. Why do you prefer this is better then the Ramp-up method?

Cheers

Sean
Of course you disagree, Sean. Your CFT is 490 and you're trying to create your own fitness system.

Re-read my additional post if strength is your goal. 5 years. Under the bar. Basic program. No screwing around. You will learn more about the iron game than 90% of the people posting here.

Gant Grimes is the shit.

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Fish Sticks in my Mouth wrote:A new thread from my favorite asshole on @fit:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=51413
Gant Grimes wrote:As a self-admitted newb, you need to log off, chalk up, and spend 5 years under a bar without worrying about all this other crap. Do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps in the basic lifts--squat, bench, deadlift, press, and power clean. Do some pullups and sprint work from time to time. Eat. Rest.

You're not going to get stronger by talking about it.
Sean J Hunter wrote:Cheers Gant,

I am lifting and am at just a little over intermediate level on the CF standards on all 10 lifts.

I appreciate that at this time I will be a level 2 guy (i.e. linear gains guys) for quite some time.

However I disagree with your take on this specific topic. I see no problem in someone DOING AND LEARNING. My questions arn't incredable detailed and I see nothing wrong with getting a overview of how stuff works in general. We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

My questions are aimed at level 2 (Linear gains) programming, I am currently in a linear gains space...

I guess your saying that you perfer the "Straight" Method of 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps at or near max. Great. Why do you prefer this is better then the Ramp-up method?

Cheers

Sean
Of course you disagree, Sean. Your CFT is 490 and you're trying to create your own fitness system.

Re-read my additional post if strength is your goal. 5 years. Under the bar. Basic program. No screwing around. You will learn more about the iron game than 90% of the people posting here.

Gant Grimes is the shit.
More like a dip shit. He's responding to someone on a message board about fitness, specifically the @F message board which hosts a lot of newbz. The other guy's intention (to both "do" and "learn"), and his question ("what's the reason for different rep ranges?") seem legit. "Spend five years under the bar" sounds like false bravado to me.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

ImUndaYourBed wrote:More like a dip shit. He's responding to someone on a message board about fitness, specifically the @F message board which hosts a lot of newbz. The other guy's intention (to both "do" and "learn"), and his question ("what's the reason for different rep ranges?") seem legit. "Spend five years under the bar" sounds like false bravado to me.
Not at all. I keep a sock puppet there for tax purposes, and I know a bit about this. Sean J Hunter, the dude you think is legit, is a presumably healthy adult male that pulls about 200 (pounds) and presses 85 (pounds...seriously). He has no training background but is trying to come up with his own fitness system--not program, system. He constantly asks the same damn questions. He's convinced he needs some kind of complicated periodization. Most @Fers enable him by giving him a bunch of links and suggestions for programming. Nobody has told him to STFU and train.

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Gin Master wrote:
ImUndaYourBed wrote:More like a dip shit. He's responding to someone on a message board about fitness, specifically the @F message board which hosts a lot of newbz. The other guy's intention (to both "do" and "learn"), and his question ("what's the reason for different rep ranges?") seem legit. "Spend five years under the bar" sounds like false bravado to me.
Not at all. I keep a sock puppet there for tax purposes, and I know a bit about this. Sean J Hunter, the dude you think is legit, is a presumably healthy adult male that pulls about 200 (pounds) and presses 85 (pounds...seriously). He has no training background but is trying to come up with his own fitness system--not program, system. He constantly asks the same damn questions. He's convinced he needs some kind of complicated periodization. Most @Fers enable him by giving him a bunch of links and suggestions for programming. Nobody has told him to STFU and train.
Lol. Well, all right then.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Other than the Camo pants, Whitey's obvious elite level of fitness and the gay secks undertone of tandom sky diving, what exactly does this image have to do with @ssfit?

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/Boz ... tumpf.html
"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

Anon

Post by Anon »

Does anyone have the time to plot the graph of the "number of individuals in these photos" versus "date posted"?

I feel it will be a leading indicator to the demise of the program.

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/Mar ... 90919.html
"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

Danny John
Gunny

Post by Danny John »

If you google "Ethan Reeves" and Wake Forest football workouts, you will find that these workouts have been done (PCs on the minute for whatever...) by others "better."

It's nice to see that we all invent workouts.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Joe wrote:Does anyone have the time to plot the graph of the "number of individuals in these photos" versus "date posted"?

I feel it will be a leading indicator to the demise of the program.

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/Mar ... 90919.html
In those top photos, it looks like they're only sending 5 or less trainers to "teach" those huge groups.

A marker of high quality, fo sho.

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

I have been asked about current shit going on at x-fit. Need to have those who know, please help with the latest.
Normally, I get the emails, but lately, I think it may be bunker time.

Affiliates are waking up. Why not offer something simple, like their own cert and they get the money.

The whole self-insurance ran a major WTF with the medium to large affiliates. Bailing has just started.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Training FAIL

Davis: "Ow! Couch, my arm is sore!"
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

My brother and I showing this at x-fit HG, 2004.

Me on the right. Was just starting to lift.

sanchezero

Post by sanchezero »

KBois wrote:
Other than the Camo pants, Whitey's obvious elite level of fitness and the gay secks undertone of tandom sky diving, what exactly does this image have to do with @ssfit?
from the looks of it both those men are hairless, which has everything to do with @fit.
uhh, those are chicks...
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Gary John wrote:I have been asked about current shit going on at x-fit. Need to have those who know, please help with the latest.
Normally, I get the emails, but lately, I think it may be bunker time.

Affiliates are waking up. Why not offer something simple, like their own cert and they get the money.

The whole self-insurance ran a major WTF with the medium to large affiliates. Bailing has just started.
I post all the goodies I get here. I gots nothin at the moment, man.

Whaddaya mean, affiliates are calling bullshit on stuff like this?:
August 17, 2009

The CrossFit Risk Retention Group has met all of its requirements for capitalization. We are now finishing the process for approval with the insurance departments and regulators in all 50 states. We expect to begin writing our own Errors and Omissions policy, the one for which the RRG was formed, for members within the next 30 days.
This thing is never going to happen, and affiliates are smelling something rotten.

CultBuster
Staff Sergeant

Post by CultBuster »

I am dedicating a post to virtuosity.
shittycleans.jpg
shittycleans.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 9008 times
shittycleans2.jpg
shittycleans2.jpg (108.49 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
shittycleans4.jpg
shittycleans4.jpg (368.98 KiB) Viewed 9000 times

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Gary John wrote:Image

My brother and I showing this at x-fit HG, 2004.

Me on the right. Was just starting to lift.
*sigh*
Ah, the good ol' days. Thanks for posting that pic, Rev.

As for your question about the affiliates, I can only say the original affiliates like Brand X and Boot Camp Fitness were smart. They never adopted the @fit name as part of their business (although Rut may have been @fit KC). This allows them to jump ship when the shit hits the fan (although I suspect the Martins in Ramona may stick until the bitter end) and not lose their customer base. Unfortunately for guys like Robb and Everett (I know, you're no fan of his), they had @fit in their business name (NorCal @fit and @fit Mike's Garage). It's why Wolf had to go back to get the clients and Everett had to pay up to use it with Catalyst Athletics. As their businesses grow, look for the gradual weening away from the GWF.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy »

Where the phuck is Andro Friday?
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

Really Big Strong Guy wrote:Where the phuck is Andro Friday?
Everywhere.

EDIT: There is too much shit downloading on my computer right now to get a bunch of pictures together. Dammit.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

Here's a couple to tide everyone over....

syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Damn you andro Fridays!

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

LOL

I hate to say it but I'd fuck the blond that looks like Anna Nichole on roids.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

JohnnyBadAss
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnnyBadAss »

Ed Zachary wrote:LOL

I'll do you a favor...I wouldn't fuck her with yours.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy »

JohnnyBadAss wrote:
Ed Zachary wrote:LOL

I'll do you a favor...I wouldn't fuck her with yours.
Na, I'm pretty sure she'd fuck you.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

And from the look of her, you might not be able to do anything about it.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen