The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Re: The couch thread

Post by Mountebank »

Another news article with a comments section ripe for IGx, some highlights:
http://www.phillymag.com/health/article ... tch_a_fit/
Day 1: [...] My hands are bleeding from the pull-ups, of which I can only do two before needing a green band to assist me getting over the bar.

Day 8: I am troubled by how much I now look forward to my “off” days. Am I not supposed to fall in love with working out?

Day 18: [...] Who the hell invents this stuff? I manage to clock in at just under a half hour. I think I have figured out what they were making the prisoners do at Abu Graib.

Day 19: Off. I eat some melon. I certainly feel better, but the whole sell of @Fit is that (a) it’s short and (b) it’s addictive. I concede it’s shorter than most workouts, but addictive? Chocolate chip cookies are addictive. Martinis are addictive. This, not so much.

Days 24-30: As anyone facing the gym the day after New Year’s can attest, getting back on the horse — or in this case, Fran — after drifting away from your workout routine is, shall we say, a challenge. I do my best, and Dan adopts a patient, Mike Brady-ish “Kid, you can do it” attitude, but as I limp to the finish line of my month of @Fit, I feel…eh. [...] But I fall short of the @Fit cult that has sprung up in Philly.
For anyone who is familiar with @F workouts, this trainer had the writer repeat several different workouts up to 3-4 times in the 30 days. Um, that's not @F...that's called specificity. Somehow this trainer knew that if he wanted to get the writer to effect the most change in specific workouts/movements, that they have to be repeated often to improve quickly?!?!

Partway through the comments, the @Fers start going after each other. The great fall is coming, gentlemen....

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Resident Quack wrote:This gives Burgener's favorite slogan of "Born Again Hard!" a whole new twist. [-o<
http://www.divinemercyfitness.com/divin ... e-are.html
We train with God on our minds and in our hearts. Without his presence, can there be any real everlasting change to our lives?
http://www.divinemercyfitness.com/divin ... hrist.html
Contribute to Companions of Christ Fitness Fund

Several Seminarians work out consistently here at CrossFit Divine Mercy Fitness. It is my aim to get one hundred Priests and Seminarians fit. Yes, this is a big goal.
Everything new is old, again. "Muscular Christianity" is back.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Resident Quack wrote:Another news article with a comments section ripe for IGx, some highlights:
http://www.phillymag.com/health/article ... tch_a_fit/
My comment should not be taken as pro-@Fit because obviously they are retarded to the Nth power but this guy is a faggot and a pussy himself.

You'd think since that is the average personality profile for an @Fit "man" that he would've enjoyed his month.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

If you hacked the mainpage and made the WOD "self-penetration with wine bottle for depth and time" you'd have weenies in the comments asking if they could scale it to a beer bottle and Pudding would claim that he took a Jeroboam of Cristal to the hilt.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Do you want to touch my monkey?

Buncha fuckin' bandwagon jumpers, the lot of them! One fucking guy abuses a tortoise on the mainpage and suddenly everyone's got an animal act.
You'll Hurt Your Back

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

GoDogGo! wrote:
Resident Quack wrote:This gives Burgener's favorite slogan of "Born Again Hard!" a whole new twist. [-o<
http://www.divinemercyfitness.com/divin ... e-are.html
We train with God on our minds and in our hearts. Without his presence, can there be any real everlasting change to our lives?
http://www.divinemercyfitness.com/divin ... hrist.html
Contribute to Companions of Christ Fitness Fund

Several Seminarians work out consistently here at CrossFit Divine Mercy Fitness. It is my aim to get one hundred Priests and Seminarians fit. Yes, this is a big goal.
Everything new is old, again. "Muscular Christianity" is back.
Yes, but this time the leader is a Jewish guy who says fuck a lot.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

GoDogGo! wrote: Everything new is old, again. "Muscular Christianity" is back.
No it is not. While not quite an Ab god or even THE ab god, i am muscular and i am a christian and they have nothing to do with each other. i did scare the crap out of a teenager though last night at a Holiday Inn Express.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Botototo
Staff Sergeant

Post by Botototo »

Crossfit is a tool for thinking, precisely because the WOD acts ritually to increase the
capacity for the rejection of self pity and perseverance. It is literally the case that anyone
who does the WOD creates for themselves at least the potential to think better. That
latent capacity, though, needs to be supplemented with a heuristic like the Cross, and if I
have done this thing properly, it contains all the latent capacities of human ratiocinative
capacity and intuition.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Oh man...these niggas are takin' it up a notch. I love it.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

powerlifter54 wrote:
GoDogGo! wrote: Everything new is old, again. "Muscular Christianity" is back.
No it is not. While not quite an Ab god or even THE ab god, i am muscular and i am a christian and they have nothing to do with each other. i did scare the crap out of a teenager though last night at a Holiday Inn Express.
Here are the historicals to which I was referring:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscular_Christianity
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Do you want to touch my monkey?

Buncha fuckin' bandwagon jumpers, the lot of them! One fucking guy abuses a tortoise on the mainpage and suddenly everyone's got an animal act.
Who the fuck posts pictures of himself doing an ASSISTED handstand?
What kind of fucking feat is that? A feat of fucking mediocrity?
Really, who the fuck could not do a fucking handstand against a fucking tree stump?
Hell almost any body not crippled could just kick up into an ugly free handstand long enough to have a picture taken.
What the fuck is wrong with these people?!
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

protobuilder wrote:Naw, you could freak them out pretty easily.
Workout of the Day 10/13/09

"Poundstone"

Pause Squat: 3x3x405 + 80 lbs chain
Deadlift from 3" deficit: 3x3x495 + 80 lbs chain
Push Press: 225x1 on the minute for 10 minutes
foam roll

Post time to comments.
Bwahahahaha

That is fucking magnificent.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Brandon Oto wrote:
Crossfit is a tool for thinking, precisely because the WOD acts ritually to increase the
capacity for the rejection of self pity and perseverance. It is literally the case that anyone
who does the WOD creates for themselves at least the potential to think better. That
latent capacity, though, needs to be supplemented with a heuristic like the Cross, and if I
have done this thing properly, it contains all the latent capacities of human ratiocinative
capacity and intuition.
That's just magnificent in its absurd, meaningless pomposity. A Harvard professor of womyn's studies would weep tears of awe at the paradigm contained in that dialectic.

What a fucking wanker.
You'll Hurt Your Back

Botototo
Staff Sergeant

Post by Botototo »

WildGorillaMan wrote:That's just magnificent in its absurd, meaningless pomposity. A Harvard professor of womyn's studies would weep tears of awe at the paradigm contained in that dialectic.

What a fucking wanker.
It's cool, there's more. Don't miss out on the Telearchic Cross as it applies to fitness (don't bother Googling, he made up the word). http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/perc ... it/6812900

I used to butt heads with this guy all the time. I have this recurring dream where he catches fire.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Bible Thumper wrote:We all know how being fit improves the mind and overall health. We need these guys healthy. Our salvation depends on it. This is really important to each of us.
Yeah, yeah...but who will help save cooch from himself? :partyman:

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

Resident Quack wrote:Yeah, yeah...but who will help save cooch from himself? :partyman:
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

Ed Zachary wrote:
protobuilder wrote:Naw, you could freak them out pretty easily.
Workout of the Day 10/13/09

"Poundstone"

Pause Squat: 3x3x405 + 80 lbs chain
Deadlift from 3" deficit: 3x3x495 + 80 lbs chain
Push Press: 225x1 on the minute for 10 minutes
foam roll

Post time to comments.
Bwahahahaha

That is fucking magnificent.
Most of them would scale to using PVC + 8oz of twine, then they'd skip the foam rolling at the end in order to improve their time.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan »

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

That was a bit long winded on that dude's part. @F has always been rampant with douchbaggery and idiocy. Did it just now get too much for him?

@FHQ has always been about control, at least after Glassman moved away. The kids there are like the local school board, drunk on power.

Why doesn't he just man the fuck up and say he got affiliated for the name recognition and money. A @F affiliate, if you are not a stupid douchbag, is almost a liscense to print money.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Shafman wrote:That was a bit long winded on that dude's part. @F has always been rampant with douchbaggery and idiocy. Did it just now get too much for him?

@FHQ has always been about control, at least after Glassman moved away. The kids there are like the local school board, drunk on power.

Why doesn't he just man the fuck up and say he got affiliated for the name recognition and money. A @F affiliate, if you are not a stupid douchbag, is almost a liscense to print money.
I can see his point. Even if in the early days the WOD and principles of @f were as dumb as they are today, the level of b-gaggery was less in the beginning.

And I can see how someone early on could get sold on the idea of being built like Greg Amundson and putting out performances like him, or Josh Everet. When you were told "this is THE program they use to be 6', 210# of lean bad ass", even good trainers and athletes were bound to buy in. I did.

The key is when you wake up and realise that aside from some off season conditioning, @f is useless. And it's pretty damn useless even for that. You come to the rational conclusion that there is NO FUCKING WAY Amundson, Everet, or anybody else got that big and strong and conditioned doing what they're selling. Then it's time to move on to real programming and progressions.

But once you do that, how do you distinguish yourself from the 10 other shitty "boxes" in a 4 block radius?
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:But once you do that, how do you distinguish yourself from the 10 other shitty "boxes" in a 4 block radius?
Pay attention Alfie.

Here is what you do. You invite 12-18 IGx members to do a seminar. You will get 6-10 for your seminar. If you just pay expenses and a small honorarium (plus a couple buffet coupons for Peach) you will more than break even and you will generate huge buzz.Advertise the crap out of it and the shear wow factor of our foulmouthed ignorance and reputation on the douchebag net will pack your box with @fitters and the intellectually curious who want to see and hear the Seminar that IS IGx.

Just imagine their tatted up arms and shaved heads shaking in anticipation of confronting me and all the others. Why their piercings would jingle like the gooks in the wire. We could even get The Ab God to do a sidebar on the legal shammockery that is @fit legal risk mitigation.

Then afterward a huge meat and beer fest before the evening's mandatory grappling tournament.

BIG, Very BIG.

Think about it.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

You'll Hurt Your Back

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Resident Quack wrote:For anyone who is familiar with @F workouts, this trainer had the writer repeat several different workouts up to 3-4 times in the 30 days. Um, that's not @F...that's called specificity. Somehow this trainer knew that if he wanted to get the writer to effect the most change in specific workouts/movements, that they have to be repeated often to improve quickly?!?!
You give this guy way too much credit. Did you see what the jackass had his "trainee" do out of the gate?
Day 1: ...my first is Fran: 21 “thrusters” (thrusting a 35-pound weight bar above my head) and 21 pull-ups, followed by rounds of 15 and 9, respectively, which you’re supposed to do as quickly as you can. My hands are bleeding from the pull-ups, of which I can only do two before needing a green band to assist me getting over the bar. Memories of Ms. Whitman, my drill sergeant gym teacher at Woodrow Wilson Junior High, flood my brain. I end up with a final time of 28 minutes.

Day 2: I am assigned 150 “wall balls,” squatting and then throwing a 8-pound medicine ball above my head, against a wall, 150 times...

Day 3: I have to do as many sets as possible of 5 squats, 10 push-ups, and 15 sit-ups in 10 minutes. How can 10 minutes today feel longer than the 16 minutes I did yesterday?
Way to break em in gently.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

powerlifter54 wrote:
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:But once you do that, how do you distinguish yourself from the 10 other shitty "boxes" in a 4 block radius?
Pay attention Alfie.

Here is what you do. You invite 12-18 IGx members to do a seminar. You will get 6-10 for your seminar. If you just pay expenses and a small honorarium (plus a couple buffet coupons for Peach) you will more than break even and you will generate huge buzz.Advertise the crap out of it and the shear wow factor of our foulmouthed ignorance and reputation on the douchebag net will pack your box with @fitters and the intellectually curious who want to see and hear the Seminar that IS IGx.

Just imagine their tatted up arms and shaved heads shaking in anticipation of confronting me and all the others. Why their piercings would jingle like the gooks in the wire. We could even get The Ab God to do a sidebar on the legal shammockery that is @fit legal risk mitigation.

Then afterward a huge meat and beer fest before the evening's mandatory grappling tournament.

BIG, Very BIG.

Think about it.
You know I'm just a short drive away. @F Dallas gets big turnouts for their stuff. There are several IGxers around DFW that would be proud to carry our banner. I'd be more than happy to "share our culture" with those fools.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Gin Master wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:
Pay attention Alfie.

BIG, Very BIG.

Think about it.
You know I'm just a short drive away. @F Dallas gets big turnouts for their stuff. There are several IGxers around DFW that would be proud to carry our banner. I'd be more than happy to "share our culture" with those fools.
From November (except over Thanksgiving when i will be hangin with my favorite @fitters in jax) to February i am free except for second weekends.

EAGER to share the love that surrounds and feeds us at IGx. Maybe Festers or Incubates are better words.