Windows 7

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
jakeischillin

Windows 7

Post by jakeischillin »

Beats the fuckin shit out of Vista, especially for laptops. The power management is way better. The new functions on the taskbar are nicely done. All and all its what Vista should have been just a few years late. The bad news is OSX is still better.

White Shadow

Re: Windows 7

Post by White Shadow »

I have a 5 y.o. desktop with XP and a 1 y.o. laptop with Vista. Both of them freeze and produce plenty of errors, especially XP. I see now that if you buy a computer with Vista you can upgrade to 7 for free when it becomes available. I read article from some PC mag. that it is relatively painless to upgrade to 7 from Vista, but upgrading to 7 from XP is a fucking nightmare and you'd be better off just buying a new computer. I have been wanting to replace my desktop with a 24 inch iMac, because I'm so fed the fuck up with Windows I wanna throw the fucking computers out the window. I just bought a used PowerBook G4 with OSX Leopard 10.5 off of eBay. I've been using it yesterday and today figuring things out, etc. I must say it's been an absolute pleasure. OSX is an excellent, stable operating system. No errors or freeze ups. :supz: I did buy it with Microsoft Office installed because I want to use it for several applications. I read reviews regarding upgrading to Snow Leopard that state that programs can be lost in the process. I don't want to lose Microsoft Office so I may just leave it as is. At this point I can't wait to buy a 24 inch iMac and get rid of my POS pc.
The upgrade version of Windows 7 is about $140 also. They can suck it. The last thing I want to do is reward Microsoft with my business after selling an inferior POS product for years (I bought a pc about 8 yrs. ago with Windows ME).
The moral of the story here is FUCK MICROSOFT!!! :JRJHK: :supz: OSX ROCKS!!!

Dave

Post by Dave »

2 yr old Sony laptop with Vista. It started blue screening for no apparent reason. I installed Windows 7 Premium. still BSOD..

Bought a 500gb hard drive & did a fresh install, installed apps and moved stuff. Spent 3 or 4 days getting shit setup. Today out of the blue watching a youtube video in Firefox - BSOD. Fucking shit, hell if I had $3k I have a new 17" MacBook Pro.
Its a shame they are so damned expensive, if they dropped the price $500 they'd kill the PC market.
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Dave wrote: Its a shame they are so damned expensive, if they dropped the price $500 they'd kill the PC market.
I'm to the point now that I don't give a shit how expensive Mac is, I'm going that route next time.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Dave wrote: Its a shame they are so damned expensive, if they dropped the price $500 they'd kill the PC market.
I'm to the point now that I don't give a shit how expensive Mac is, I'm going that route next time.

I'm close but it is looking like the laptop has a problem with overheating. it siezed up today while downloading some jams from iTunes. Ran a memory diagnostic and it checked out fine. running it now with a fan blowing on it we'll see.
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

The Nightman

Post by The Nightman »

my MacBook kills my HP laptop and my desktop. Worth the money.

Thought the 13" screen would piss me off, but I got used to it. I couldn't justify the $$ for the PRO for what I needed, but I'm not that comp savvy either. Only gripe is no firewire input.

My advice is to just suck it up, the lack of headaches is worth it.