The Pacific

Post by Garm »

5 episodes in, it blows so far.
My SIG can beat up your SIG.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: The Pacific

Post by nafod »

Yea, I almost yelled out, "They're hiding in the bushes!" to the Japs one night.
Don’t believe everything you think.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

Ditto. Hanks/Spielberg were doing well at being the story-tellers of that decade, but they've given up a lot of that credibility with this series. Lame-o, poor character development, impossible to follow night battles (yea, I know they happen; that doesn't mean they make good TV). Without a good story to work from, it's struggling.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

snatch grip
Gunny

Post by snatch grip »

Pretty much everyone I've talked to that has watched it agrees that it blows. Glad you all are saving me that 10 hours of viewing.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I kept hoping it would get better. Band of Brothers was really good.

For some reason, it's extremely difficult to keep track of which actor is which apart in various scenes. It's not the uniforms/helmets, other WWII movies work fine. This one is weird.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:For some reason, it's extremely difficult to keep track of which actor is which apart in various scenes. It's not the uniforms/helmets, other WWII movies work fine. This one is weird.
Its the writing. You can tell people apart just fine, but you don't care enough to expend the effort. I was really looking forward to this show and am sorely disappointed. An entire hour about a giant-nosed titless Greek broad in Australia? That whole episode was worth five minutes only. I keep hoping, they keep wiffing...
My SIG can beat up your SIG.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

That's nice. I've got all the episodes tivoed but haven't starting watching them.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

I need to revise my critique: I just saw episode 5 last night and the landing and first battles on Peleliu were excellent. As good or better than Private Ryan, imo. Very well done.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

It's improved to a degree but is still insanely bleak and dreary. No comparison at all to Band of Brothers. Interesting that they seem to be depicting Marine atrocities pretty regularly, but not Japanese.

Harry Brown, on the other hand, is awesome. You should all go and see it.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Stuck with it until the end. I'm surprised they didn't change the ending to the Japanese winning. BLEAK.

Harry Brown, OTOH, is still awesome.

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

Only point of watching is to see that broad who played an ADA on law and order show her tits.
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf