The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Worked an SPF meet today that had a Crossfit Division. Perfect marriage of 20% slop all around...not to start a PL flame war..just saying the end is nigh, for what i'm not sure.

as a total additional aside, OMFG Abi Grove was making cocks ache all day.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads »

Jay wrote:Someone needs a beating...

From the AquaHydrate webpage:

"Elite athletes such as Brian MacKenzie, Ironman contender and creator of Crossfit Endurance training, and Robbie Davis, trainer of NBA and Olympic champions, believe that AquaHydrate is important to their rigorous training regimens. Likewise, the USA Men's and Women's Water Polo Teams have chosen AquaHydrate as their sports beverage of choice as they train for the 2012 Summer Olympics, where they are expected to be leading medal contenders."

Please, would someone remind them how many DNF's he has and how pisspoor his race times are. I'm all for sponsored athletes, but those athletes need to be legit, not shit of legends.
"Ironman Contender"? What the shit is that supposed to mean? It's not fucking boxing. If you're ass can shell out the $400-600 fee for entry, then viola! You're a fucking contender for Ironman. Fuck! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Edit:
Gin Master wrote:
Jay wrote:Elite athletes such as Brian MacKenzie, Ironman contender
If we're going to redefine "elite" and "athlete," we may as well redfine "contender." If you have ridden a bike, fallen into a creek, and DNFd a race, you are a triathlon contender.
Saw your post later Gin, but spot on.
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

It's a lot harder to pad your resume in this day and age. If you fib a little people tend to find out.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Dietrich Buchenholz
Sarge

Post by Dietrich Buchenholz »

WildGorillaMan wrote:It's a lot harder to pad your resume in this day and age. If you fib a little people tend to find out.
It is for you to know that this is the truths!

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Charismatic megafauna wrote:Worked an SPF meet today that had a Crossfit Division. Perfect marriage of 20% slop all around...not to start a PL flame war..just saying the end is nigh, for what i'm not sure.

By "Crossfit division" do you mean competing in the three lifts or in doing Crossift stuff? Were there any weight classes other than Extra Medium?
You'll Hurt Your Back

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
Charismatic megafauna wrote:Worked an SPF meet today that had a Crossfit Division. Perfect marriage of 20% slop all around...not to start a PL flame war..just saying the end is nigh, for what i'm not sure.

By "Crossfit division" do you mean competing in the three lifts or in doing Crossift stuff? Were there any weight classes other than Extra Medium?

I mean a three lift PL meet only instead of squats being high they were excessively low and not a one over 405. It was confusing. Very.

The man in black
Staff Sergeant

Post by The man in black »

And I thought submaster and mil/LEO classes were a joke.

tzg
Gunny

Post by tzg »

Charismatic megafauna wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:

I mean a three lift PL meet only instead of squats being high they were excessively low and not a one over 405. It was confusing. Very.
And did all of them get a participation trophy?

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

friedquads wrote: "Ironman Contender"? What the shit is that supposed to mean? It's not fucking boxing. If you're ass can shell out the $400-600 fee for entry, then viola! You're a fucking contender for Ironman. Fuck! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Jag Panzer
Gunny

Post by Jag Panzer »

Dietrich Buchenholz wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:It's a lot harder to pad your resume in this day and age. If you fib a little people tend to find out.
It is for you to know that this is the truths!
DB Hammer you sly fox

Dietrich Buchenholz
Sarge

Post by Dietrich Buchenholz »

They have copied my Adlerhorst secret compound in Queens!

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Is anyone other than Mark "Gimme Cash!!" Bell doing this shit?? He's the only one I know of and he's just desperate to get ahold of Cultfit cash. It's led several people (incl. myself) to cancel his stupid magazine. The last thing anyone wants out of a POWER magazine are articles by douchebag crossfitters. Or a "crossfit" division at a PL meet.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Jay

Post by Jay »

protobuilder wrote:
Is anyone other than Mark "Gimme Cash!!" Bell doing this shit?? He's the only one I know of and he's just desperate to get ahold of Cultfit cash. It's led several people (incl. myself) to cancel his stupid magazine. The last thing anyone wants out of a POWER magazine are articles by douchebag crossfitters. Or a "crossfit" division at a PL meet.
If this leads many @fitters to develop more strength and use smarter programming, it can't be a bad thing.

At the S&C Clinic this weekend at Denison U the Associate strength coach from Ohio State even mentioned that he looks at some @fit methods for conditioning his athletes in the weight room.

Now, we all know that circuit training has been around for ages, and has been used by coaches for the longest time, so that is probably what he meant.

There is a lot of money in the CF world for sure, seminars are selling out, people are willing to spend money to learn. That isn't a bad thing either. What IS a bad thing is bad programming, focus on metabolic conditioning OVER strength, the way HQ has been acting with certain affiliates and their arrogance over certain matters, and more. Blaming @fitters who want to improve, learn and be better at what they do should be encouraged. Once many of them stop tasting the koolaid in excess, they open themselves up to other methods that may not have been aware of.

Get rid of people like B-mack, Castro, Budding and bring in legitimate coaches who know exercise science, biomechanics, proper programming and know how to act and you will have a smarter, better group of fitness devotees.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Jay wrote:
At the S&C Clinic this weekend at Denison U the Associate strength coach from Ohio State even mentioned that he looks at some @fit methods for conditioning his athletes in the weight room.
I think that the main reason people like using "Crossfit" methods is that it is simply a list of new circuits that they haven't tried yet and for the general fitness guy who doesn't have the time or dedication or desire to follow some specific program, its easy. All it would take to derail the train is for more organizations to post WOD's or similar. Seriously. And keep it simple. People don't like to read. I do it for my clients all the time, especially when they go on vacation. I've weaned all of my former cfers off CF mainpage and my new ones don't even know what it is. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Jay

Post by Jay »

syaigh wrote:
Jay wrote:
I think that the main reason people like using "Crossfit" methods is that it is simply a list of new circuits that they haven't tried yet and for the general fitness guy who doesn't have the time or dedication or desire to follow some specific program, its easy. All it would take to derail the train is for more organizations to post WOD's or similar. Seriously. And keep it simple. People don't like to read. I do it for my clients all the time, especially when they go on vacation. I've weaned all of my former cfers off CF mainpage and my new ones don't even know what it is. :)
I agree 100%.

Simple circuits that have a specific goal are great, random circuits meant to get a response aren't.

If you are training for general fitness and really don't have a desire to play a sport, you still need to intelligently program and not overtrain yourself. Just specializing in nothing isn't enough.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Jay wrote:Image
Fixed!

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

The incidences of "overtraining" from these Gaymes will be incredible and undeniable after the dust settles.

I've heard of @Fers trying a workout 4 times in a week to see if they can better their score. Going "real" competition full-speed 4 days in a week on these 10-15 minute metcons, layered on top of the overtraining that is likely already present (because getting ready for the Gaymes means training even more and harder) will leave many people broken and wondering WTF just happened to them.

@FHQ doesn't believe in or address the fact that their program "exceeding the capacity" of their folks is a problem, so @Fers will be left in the cold.

I sure wish there was someone out there who knew how to deal with this problem... :-"

Jay

Post by Jay »

Quacktacular wrote:The incidences of "overtraining" from these Gaymes will be incredible and undeniable after the dust settles.

I've heard of @Fers trying a workout 4 times in a week to see if they can better their score. Going "real" competition full-speed 4 days in a week on these 10-15 minute metcons, layered on top of the overtraining that is likely already present (because getting ready for the Gaymes means training even more and harder) will leave many people broken and wondering WTF just happened to them.

@FHQ doesn't believe in or address the fact that their program "exceeding the capacity" of their folks is a problem, so @Fers will be left in the cold.

I sure wish there was someone out there who knew how to deal with this problem... :-"
There are too many @fitters that are doing this. Some are working out 2-3 times a day for an extended period of time to get ready for these games, not realizing they are doing so much more harm than good.

I've seen people (not here) do the qualifier workouts 2-3 times in a couple days to try to get a better score, each time they are frying themselves a little more.

I know you can train your CNS to do more work, but this isn't what they mean.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

It's almost like Crossfit doesn't make any sense.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

From today's WGM. I am amazed how many times I see pictures of businesses with the U.S.A. flag hung incorrectly.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Maybe we could offer a cert on how to hang the flag.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

There's a flag in that picture?

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

j-cubed wrote:From today's WGM. I am amazed how many times I see pictures of businesses with the U.S.A. flag hung incorrectly.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Maybe we could offer a cert on how to hang the flag.

Why would a dude shave his armpits??

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Proto demonstrates dickish behavior and lack of recognition concerning female anatomy, as usual.

That's a nice bottom position though.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Jezebel Jones wrote: That's a nice bottom position though.
I bet you say that to all the pixies.
You'll Hurt Your Back

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
Jezebel Jones wrote: That's a nice bottom position though.
I bet you say that to all the pixies.
I think a major selling point of the Pixie it that she can be bended into just about any position your heart desires. I can think of least 17 for this one off the top of my head.