Lifeline Portable Power Jumper

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Gary
Gunny

Lifeline Portable Power Jumper

Post by Gary »

First read about these things in glowing terms from Jack Woodrup over at VerticalJumping.com. I believe the guy who designed this thing is a friend of Mr. Mahler's.

My experience with the jumper has been good from the start. I wasn't really sure explosiveness and reactivity could be improved all that much. But I've seen immediate improvement in my jump height and breadth after just two sessions in two weeks. My vertical has been stuck at ~23" for months now and my horizontal started at 7.5-8 ft when I began testing it a couple months ago. I tried simply "practicing jumping" and doing box jumps and jumps with weights, but wasn't seeing much if any improvement.

Then I started using the power jumper. I got a 2-in increase in vertical immediately after a few triples with band resistance (started with the medium and two light bands and worked down to zero; did the same with horizontal jump). Didn't see much improvement in the broad jump right away (it's a little awkward to broad jump with that thing on), but today I got a 2-in increase in the broad jump and another inch on the vertical.

The Jumper is a great way to teach one's body to channel strength into power. The bands pull you down fast and so you get some of the benefits of drop jump and then they accommodate the resistance and force you to move fast out of the bottom in order to get off the ground. It's the perfect compliment to a barbell squat and deadlift program. The power jumper is the tool I use on my lower body dynamic effort day. One could probably get the same benefit from squats or deadlifts with bands, but the Jumper is simple to use, highly portable and translates directly into actual jumping.

I highly recommend this thing. Such a simple way to include plyo/jump training. And it works. Not saying one NEEDS a Power Jumper to get more exposive, but I believe the Jumper improves power/speed the way a barbell improves strength gains.

The Jumper comes with two light bands, but it has space for three bands at a time. You can buy other bands separately. I ordered a medium band with mine and I'm glad I did. I plan to get one heavy band next. I squat 350-400. Stronger trainees may find they need a couple of heavy bands.
I'm 'a fuck you till you love me, white boy.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Re: Lifeline Portable Power Jumper

Post by GoDogGo! »

I had one. Meh.

The elastic training concept is fine, but you get more (much more) bang for your hard-earned pimpin' dollar by just using jumpstretch bands.

You can do Power Jumper stuff just fine and about 4 million other things.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Topic author
Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary »

GoDogGo! wrote:I had one. Meh.

The elastic training concept is fine, but you get more (much more) bang for your hard-earned pimpin' dollar by just using jumpstretch bands.

You can do Power Jumper stuff just fine and about 4 million other things.
Well, I like to keep things really simple. Squat, pull, run, jump. The Power Jumper is a really simple way to make jump training more effective while keeping it really simple. Put it on and hop in the manner you wish to improve. And squats with bands requires a squat rack, bar and plates along with the bands. The Power Jumper is an all in one tool to focus on speed with the fairly light load of bodyweight. I didn't get these immediate improvements in speed specific to jumping resulting in greater distance traveled when I was using bands with my squats. There are other ways to do it: band SQ/DL, cleans, snatches, jumps with weights, depth jumps, et al, but this is the first method that's gotten me such drastic results. How did you train with yours?

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

I didn't mention using bands for squats. That's another of the 4000 uses.

Let me explain SAT analogy-style.

The PPJ : a set of Jumpstretch bands :: a preacher curl machine : a barbell and set of weights.

Topic author
Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary »

GoDogGo! wrote:I didn't mention using bands for squats. That's another of the 4000 uses.

Let me explain SAT analogy-style.

The PPJ : a set of Jumpstretch bands :: a preacher curl machine : a barbell and set of weights.
That's not being fair. The thing works and for me it worked better than barbell+band training. They're just bands you wear and which allow you to actually jump, something that you couldn't (or shouldn't) do with a barbell+bands set up. Jumping is the best way to train jumping and this little contraption allows jumping with bands. Double bonus!

Anyway, not trying to convince you, but this is my thread on this product and I like it and want to reinforce the recommendation. I know it seems gimmicky, but I just gained 3 inches on my vertical and on my broad jump with it after just a couple of uses. I tried to get these increases without the Jumper and it just wasn't happening. Not saying it's the only way, but it's proved itself an efficient tool for my purposes.

RyaWall

Post by RyaWall »

I have had the power jumper for maybe 4 years and use occasionally to mix things up but not really for jumping. I saw Jon Hinds online attaching to a wall and using it make his push ups bouncier so I tried it in my door way and it was pretty fun.

HorizonMan
Sarge

Post by HorizonMan »

Its a good product, and with a little creativity can be used in any number of ways.

It is a little overpriced compared to JS bands, but Lifelines bands have much better stretch characteristics.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

You can use them for good mornings. hindu pushups and squats as well.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Tim
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim »

It does have space for the 3 bands but never seen anyone use all three. A common workout Jon does with his clients is 1st set with 2 bands, 2nd set with 1 band, 3rd set without PPJ, whether it be broad jump, vertical approach jumps, lateral jumps or depth jumps.

An above average strength guy may need more than the bands it comes with. (I think, purple?) But, it's also highly dependent on how tall the user is.

We also add it to jump rope a lot.

Topic author
Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary »

Tim wrote:It does have space for the 3 bands but never seen anyone use all three. A common workout Jon does with his clients is 1st set with 2 bands, 2nd set with 1 band, 3rd set without PPJ, whether it be broad jump, vertical approach jumps, lateral jumps or depth jumps.

An above average strength guy may need more than the bands it comes with. (I think, purple?) But, it's also highly dependent on how tall the user is.

We also add it to jump rope a lot.
I use all three. I bought the medium strength band in addition to the two light bands that come with the ankle anchors. The extra resistance is fine on the vertical, but it makes the horizontal a little awkward.

Just did my third session with the Jumper. Registered a vertical just under 28" and cleared 9' on the standing broad jump. That's an increase of about 4" so far for the vert and 12" for the broad.

Again, not saying these gains would not have come without the jumper, but I'm convinced the jumper is helping them come a lot more quickly. I've already hit my long term broad jump goal after just three sessions. And I think I have a few more PRs coming before I start to slow down. This product lives up to the hype. You don't HAVE to get it to improve speed-strength and jump distances, but it is an excellent buy for that purpose. Easily some of the best money I've ever spent.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Gary wrote:They're just bands you wear and which allow you to actually jump, something that you couldn't (or shouldn't) do with a barbell+bands set up.
Now you're just trolling because no one is that fucking obtuse. Let me explain for the benefit of newcomers who may have missed the other 22,000 posts about Jumpstretch bands: Anything you can do with a PPJ, you can do with JS bands. Including wearing them while you jump. Go read the other JS bands posts.

Topic author
Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary »

GoDogGo! wrote:
Gary wrote:They're just bands you wear and which allow you to actually jump, something that you couldn't (or shouldn't) do with a barbell+bands set up.
Now you're just trolling because no one is that fucking obtuse. Let me explain for the benefit of newcomers who may have missed the other 22,000 posts about Jumpstretch bands: Anything you can do with a PPJ, you can do with JS bands. Including wearing them while you jump. Go read the other JS bands posts.
After posting that I was introduced to a video in which a guy wears his bands and jumps.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UycTicYEI5Y[/youtube]

So yeah, you can use the jumpstretch bands the same way. I just didn't fucking know, dog. I"ll find and read the JS band posts.

And why am I the only one excited about how incredibly easy it is to add inches to a vertical and feet to a long jump? I thought for years that jumping was unlikely to improve very much.

Have any of you faggots actually used the jumpstretch bands to increase your speed and jumping ability? Or is it all prehab stretching?

Topic author
Gary
Gunny

Post by Gary »

GoDogGo! wrote:Oh I'm sorry. I should have explained in my initial post. Jumpstretch bands can be worn too. There was a thread here in which all this was discussed. Here's the link. Good luck!
Thanks!

Seriously, you have no idea how obtuse I can be. It never occurred to me that you could wear a pair of jump stretch bands. That's why my people don't run the world.

Andy77
Lifetime IGer

Post by Andy77 »

Gary. Anything you need to do for prehab, rehab, increasing strength,running, jumping, increasing reaction time, etc etc. You can do with jumpstretch bands. Go to www.jumpstretch.com and search Dick Hartzell in You Tube.
Obama...'I burned your house down and saved you from slipping in the bathtub." ...Greg Gutfeld.