The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

RyaWall

Re: The couch thread

Post by RyaWall »

Cave Canem wrote:
Captain Quack wrote: What kind of event can be taken seriously when someone can do it for 3-4 months and then compete with veterans? Oh wait, one with a high turnover rate and lots of broken bodies left in the wake...
They've only been doing the @fit program for a few months and haven't had time to become weakened and overtrained/detrained/injured/generally sloppy, etc. They have probably been exercising for years. And it is a contest for exercisers. (I refuse to call them athletes). It would be interesting to see how they were training prior to starting @fit that would enable them to place so highly in an exercise contest.
Zumba 5 days a week.

CFB
Sarge

Post by CFB »

Where's Tits McGee?
Attachments
where-is-lauren.jpg
where-is-lauren.jpg (105.88 KiB) Viewed 11790 times

msr2112
Staff Sergeant

Post by msr2112 »

Good article from Jocelyn about actually training for a goal! http://www.cathletics.com/articles/arti ... icleID=118
Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift this heavy-ass weight!! -Ronnie Coleman

I'd Hit It
Sarge

Post by I'd Hit It »

EliteFTS logs can be a good read but I can't fathom why Tate hasn't thrown Chris Vaughn out. He's become a Crossfit junkie and his time seems to be split between complaining on the CF forums about how people are making fun of him for doing CF or extolling the virtues of Fran on his log.

Pukie the Clown in it today. Love this quote:
I have a few L size EFS tanks (one of my favorites is the EFS Crescent Tank), and they are beginning to swim on me--mostly in the mid-section. I am excited at possibly fitting into a medium shirt at some point.
On EliteFTS? For fuck's sake.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

msr2112 wrote:Good article from Jocelyn about actually training for a goal! http://www.cathletics.com/articles/arti ... icleID=118

Summary:
“Can’t I do both?” I asked hopefully? I was sure I could.

“No you can’t.”
Hard Stuff:
See, high intensity (heavy) strength training results in an increase of protein synthesis and accretion of contractile proteins, both of which are potent stimuli for muscle cell hypertrophy (2). Conversely, an oxidative endurance training stress (ie: distance running) causes the opposite response, breaking down and sloughing myofibrillar protein in order to maximize oxygen uptake kinetics (3).
Word and Word.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Another tidbit that occasionally seems so contrary to our brains:

"The point is that doing more isn’t always better, if ever."
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Knee sox for all!
Attachments
rbk.png
rbk.png (235.89 KiB) Viewed 11275 times
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

But they're not selling out......
Tantum validus superstes

big_t2100
Corporal

Post by big_t2100 »

CFB wrote:Where's Tits McGee?
On que with a brand new profile pic.....
264295_10150304603762152_656972151_9231131_7306901_n.jpg
264295_10150304603762152_656972151_9231131_7306901_n.jpg (22.89 KiB) Viewed 11088 times

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Why the hell is she NOT naked ????????
Tantum validus superstes

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Cave Canem wrote:Why the hell is she NOT naked ????????
Because she still gets the attention she craves, without being naked. Once everyone realizes that she's nothing special, it's over.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

I'd Hit It
Sarge

Post by I'd Hit It »

Cave Canem wrote:Why the hell is she NOT naked ????????
When everyone quits paying attention the titties will come out. But nobody's forced her hand yet.

I'd Hit It
Sarge

Post by I'd Hit It »

Aww, I really really really wanted to believe they weren't fake. But real titties don't hang like water balloons. Props to the surgeon, they're well done :supz:
Attachments
215790_10150217634282152_656972151_8422387_1073730_n.jpg
215790_10150217634282152_656972151_8422387_1073730_n.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 10734 times

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Pretty classic review.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/albany-crossfit ... LH_PhvdkLg
2.5 stars. I will be writing 2 reviews: this one for my introduction and sign up experience and an update after I am done with my 3 month membership. And after my first 2 weeks I am certain that I will NOT be renewing my membership due to the hostile attitudes of some of the coaches when you challenge them on anything. You also get the sense when trying to have a conversation with any of them (about anything, including sneakers) that if you don't simply concede to their statement they appear annoyed.

I always appreciate that when there is a prospect that I'm going to sign up for something, pay a lot of money & then hate it that I'm offered a free trial. The "free trial" is a one-on-one with one of the coaches teaching you how to do a kettle bell swing and burpees, and some explanation as to the philosophy behind X-fit work outs. Caleb was charming enough and did not give me a hard sell (which I appreciate) so i signed up for 3 months membership...the hard sell was left up to the sweaty smelly members in the hallway (many of whom had this glazed look and just kept repeating "YOU are gonna love it. you ARE going to love it. you're gonna LOVE it". (is this Jonestown?)

I should have done more observation and chatting before signing up for this as thus far I am less than thrilled with some of the coaching staff. Memberships are non-refundable for any reason and you have to sign a release agreeing to be "sexually harassed". Make no mistake: this is a physical activity cult in which everyone involved thinks they are "elite" (a word that seems to have less and less meaning and my quest for elite status on yelp becomes cheapened).

If you don't like cheerleaders don't go here. I don't like cheerleaders, particularly cheerleaders who tell me that I'll be able to get my squat beyond 90 degree when I've explained numerous times that due to a meniscus repair that changed my range of motion that will never happen, so please stop reminding me every single time we are in a squat stance. Additionally, when you have someone who is use to pushing herself and then she suddenly has a mobility limitation that CANNOT be fixed. Stop.

You spend the first 2 weeks (or 6 classes) in "On Ramp" which is designed to teach proper technique. There is one main coach & an assistant coach which gets confusing because one will tell you that you're doing the movement correctly & then the other one will tell you that you're all wrong (I guess the movement isn't codified, and despite any possible acceptable variations on "how to" here it is the X-fit way or its crap). Some of them cannot handle an intellectual challenge (i.e.: 5 movements in preparation, I shortened to 4, the assistant coach said I was doing it all wrong and seemed annoyed when I said that I was simultaneously performing step 1&2 without jeopardizing the integrity of the movement). Annoying.

The lecture on nutrition, they recommend the Paleo diet, was RIDICULOUS. Basically telling the class that things like legumes were bad for them and not to bother with dairy because your body doesn't absorb the calcium, and that the human body hasn't evolved to digest grains (direct quote: "humans have only been eating grains for the last 200 years, we're not evolved to digest them"....really didn't Jesus eat bread? Hasn't quinoa been consumed for over 8,000 years) . Fine eliminating some of these items will cause you to lose weight but I maintain that is a result of an over all caloric reduction.

I wrote an e-mail to one coach rebutting some of the information that he gave and wow did he have an attitude in his response. In fact i would call that coach hostile. Fine he gave an adequate defense of what he believes but his hostility has guaranteed that this will be my first and last 3 month membership.

So yes I've been annoyed by the "training sessions" and spent a week lamenting that I spent $400 to spend 3 months with these Jonestown characters, but because I like a good work out and I've paid $400 for this, I will be going to classes and hope to enjoy the classes (although I'm contemplating bringing ear plugs).

The space is a bit crowded after work and hot, humid, and smelly...but it is a gym so, that is what should be expected. I personally like to be warm when I work out so the hot and humid wasn't that big of a deal...for now.

Now that I'm almost complete with the intro of "On Ramp" I can start WODing (Work Out of the Day)--sounds dirty and cheesy.

I'll admit that part of the problem is that they want this experience to change my life. I don't want my life changed. I like my life. I was just bored with my previous work out.

I'll update later after my membership is up.
And an update on what ELEEEET WORLD RECORD form looks like on high rep C&Js, those stupid OLY coaches always badmouthing @F, why?!?! Warning, you could vomit or blow a disc watching this...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g99ax-omKJI[/youtube]

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Captain Quack wrote: And an update on what ELEEEET WORLD RECORD form looks like on high rep C&Js, those stupid OLY coaches always badmouthing @F, why?!?! Warning, you could vomit or blow a disc watching this...
When does he start doing the clean and jerks? Is it on another video?
You'll Hurt Your Back

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

CrossFit Rhabdomyolysis Survivors group on FaceBook
Welcome! This group is dedicated to the community of athletes that has survived Rhabdomyolysis caused by a CrossFit workout.

Let us all share our stories, our hospital experience, what workout we did, what affiliate it happened at, our road to recovery and life after CrossFit Rhabdomyolysis.
Lulz. I'm wondering if this is bait from a shark attorney...

robby mor
Sarge

Post by robby mor »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
Captain Quack wrote: And an update on what ELEEEET WORLD RECORD form looks like on high rep C&Js, those stupid OLY coaches always badmouthing @F, why?!?! Warning, you could vomit or blow a disc watching this...
Don't know and don't care.
That was horrid even for crossfit :vom: :vom: :vom:
Hitotsu, wareware wa, shogai no shugyo o karate no michi ni tsuji, Kyokushin no michi o mattou suru koto.
All our lives, through the discipline of karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the Kyokushin way.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

robby mor wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:
Don't know and don't care.
That was horrid even for crossfit :vom: :vom: :vom:
That nancy needs to put some weight on the bar.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Captain Quack wrote:Pretty classic review.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/albany-crossfit ... LH_PhvdkLg
What we've learned here is that if someone posts a negative yelp review on an affiliate (and it really wasn't all that harsh), you get:

HQ jumping in and calling it "the Yelp incident": http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/2 ... 10705.html

Which incites people to jump on yelp within 48 hours and call her a hater: http://www.yelp.com/biz/albany-crossfit ... =date_desc

And an excuse for a navel gazing blog post and video from the affiliate owner "I will never take away our athletes right to free speech": http://www.albanycrossfit.com/my-weblog ... ident.html

:vom: :vom:

kreator

Post by kreator »

lasalle wrote:
And an excuse for a navel gazing blog post and video from the affiliate owner "I will never take away our athletes right to free speech": http://www.albanycrossfit.com/my-weblog ... ident.html
From that post:
If you don’t like that, tell the owner of “Globo-Gym” we said hi.

Why does Crossfit always create some ridiculous false dichotomy? I'm guessing the translation here is that if you don't like Crossfit, your only other option is to go to curls and bench press at Planet Fitness.

Nevermind the fact that there are people training for actual sports in gyms, fields, roads, and trails now and long before Crossfit was ever invented.

Nevermind the fact that the people who have the most intelligent and poignant critiques of Crossfit are the ones who are least likely to be seen at the "globo gym," but are rather either training for an actual sport or training someone to do so.

I guess it's just that GroupThink mentality. If they're not one of us, they're just one of everyone else.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

I had a longer response planned for the above posts but realized it's just not worth the effort. It's just a fucking cult.
It reminds me of the years I spent practicing Aikido where so many of the students wish they had been born in feudal (aka futile) Japan. They had the same "warrior" training jargon except this was the way of the "peaceful" warrior. Never understood that. Is it like being the smartest kid on the short bus ? They also had the same, blind, slavish devotion to their teachers. Anyway, their wagons were always circled also. If anyone talked about another martial art or trained outside the recognized federations, they were bastardizing the art. Nothing else was authentic and no one else knew what they were doing. In fact, the owner of the "Black Box" @fit in NYC is a former aikidoist and calls his place a fitness dojo. When I stopped doing aikido, it was like I was disowned by my "friends" who continued to practice. I was a heretic.

I couldn't stand the close mindedness then and despise it in @fit now. What happened to "open source" ? Where is there any proof or independently published study that says that @fit has any transference to real world applications? ..........Bueller.........Bueller.......
And what is wrong with these people that they need to be made to feel like shit physically in order to feel superior to others? Sorry, fuckers, but a wod a day isn't gonna make you a Ranger or a SEAL.

You want to feel tough, pay me $150 a month to smack the snot out of ya. Then rest for 29 days and come back for another session.
Tantum validus superstes

CFB
Sarge

Post by CFB »

Cave Canem wrote:Sorry, fuckers, but a wod a day isn't gonna make you a Ranger or a SEAL.

You want to feel tough, pay me $150 a month to smack the snot out of ya. Then rest for 29 days and come back for another session.
WORD.

Now, back to this fucker...
Captain Quack wrote:Warning, you could vomit or blow a disc watching this...
I recall from a couple of years back that stupid every second counts gaymes vid that HQ released. One memorable scene, at least from the trailer, was some douchenugget getting disqualified by C@stro for doing C&Js alot like the fag in this clip...lots of bounce off the deck and using the momentum to to start the next pull..."efficiency of movement" was his defense...LULZ.

sanchezero

Post by sanchezero »

uhh, butterfly C&J. they're the new standard.
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

lasalle wrote:

:vom: :vom:
LOL- this has to be the gayest thing I've ever read
Because you still get goosebumps when someone hits their first Box Jump.
What a faggot.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Xtranormal videos are the new Downfall remixes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVUUfTPX2ws[/youtube]
You'll Hurt Your Back