The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

kupp
Staff Sergeant

Re: The couch thread

Post by kupp »

j-cubed wrote:How much did it cost to enter the race? At $30,000 in prizes and 236 runners, they needed to charge $127.12 just to cover the prize money. Still have costs of venue, medical, water, medals...

Sounds like a way to lose couch's money.

He could lose money on this one event but with the number of "certifications" offered in one weekend, what does it matter? It's just a bit of marketingwhere they take a small loss now and get a heck of a lot more down the road.

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

kupp wrote:It's just a bit of marketingwhere they take a small loss now and get a heck of a lot more down the road.
What's the point, though? To say to everyone, "Be a @fitter and get owned." ??
Why do that when they can throw jump roping into a weightlifting meet and only get beat in the Snatch and C/J.

clutch

Post by clutch »

Kate KILLER Rawlings wrote: No more tears

Posted on December 3, 2011 by admin

24 hours ago I hit the Filthy 50 feeling good and ready to set a PR. 3..2…1..GO!

The box jumps were going smoothly as always until I popped off the box at rep 27, that’s when something went terribly wrong. I landed, felt a shock up my left leg, and I couldn’t jump. Having broken my ankles from soccer I looked down immediately thinking that I couldn’t feel my left foot because I had done it again.

I looked down, my left foot looked normal. I reached down and the bones were in place. That’s when I knew something was off. I felt a whole body numbness, everything around me went quite, and I was just confused. I couldn’t put any weight on my foot without it collapsing. I immediately sat down and the thought crossed my mind….I just tore my achilles.
Well, I guess the title is misleading...thought for a second that Kate had come up with a way to do the asshattery and not tear any soft tissue...

Smooth as always.

Jay

Post by Jay »

yea because she's a dope when it comes to training, Bob... trust me on that one....

The man in black
Staff Sergeant

Post by The man in black »

I listened her talk at a seminar. While all the other speakers talked about how they make other people awesome she went on and about how she is awesome and plans to be awesomer.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Jay wrote:yea because she's a dope when it comes to training, Bob... trust me on that one....
I read a bit of her blog...on katerawlings.com, of course. The post a couple days before was prophetic.
It seems that only crossfitters understand that pain is progress, and that soreness you feel everytime you roll over during the night is an exciting thing.

One of my teens is the greatest example of embracing this. He’s tried every sport, and nothing has excited him until Crossfit that is. He was soooooo sore after his first class that he didn’t want to come back. Of course, his mom made him come back, and our conversation before warmup was all about his soreness. I told him “when you’re sore, it’s weakness leaving your body so that there’s room for strong muscle.”

It’s all he talked about for a week. He even called his mom out on being sore by telling her it was weakness leaving the body. I keep that in mind when I’m warming up and all I want to do is ice down, that it’s just weakness leaving the body. If it works for an 11 year old, it has to work for me.
Achilles tears= lots of weakness leaving the body.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

“To me, the sign of a really excellent routine is one which places great demands on the athlete, yet produces progressive long-term improvement without soreness, injury or the athlete ever feeling thoroughly depleted. Any fool can create a program that is so demanding that it would virtually kill the toughest Marine or hardiest of elite athletes, but not any fool can create a tough program that produces progress without unnecessary pain.”
Dr. Mel C. Siff
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

syaigh wrote:
“To me, the sign of a really excellent routine is one which places great demands on the athlete, yet produces progressive long-term improvement without soreness, injury or the athlete ever feeling thoroughly depleted. Any fool can create a program that is so demanding that it would virtually kill the toughest Marine or hardiest of elite athletes, but not any fool can create a tough program that produces progress without unnecessary pain.”
Dr. Mel C. Siff
That is a great quote.
Can you cite some context, please?
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

IIRC, it was in Siff's comments about the budding Crossfit movement and shit Glassman said, so it's completely appropriate in this case.

However, don't latch onto Siff as some kind of prophet, especially now he's dead, he was a very weird dude and did some goofy shit.

clutch

Post by clutch »

Gin Master wrote:
Jay wrote:yea because she's a dope when it comes to training, Bob... trust me on that one....
I read a bit of her blog...on katerawlings.com, of course. The post a couple days before was prophetic.
It seems that only crossfitters understand that pain is progress, and that soreness you feel everytime you roll over during the night is an exciting thing.

One of my teens is the greatest example of embracing this. He’s tried every sport, and nothing has excited him until Crossfit that is. He was soooooo sore after his first class that he didn’t want to come back. Of course, his mom made him come back, and our conversation before warmup was all about his soreness. I told him “when you’re sore, it’s weakness leaving your body so that there’s room for strong muscle.”

It’s all he talked about for a week. He even called his mom out on being sore by telling her it was weakness leaving the body. I keep that in mind when I’m warming up and all I want to do is ice down, that it’s just weakness leaving the body. If it works for an 11 year old, it has to work for me.
Achilles tears= lots of weakness leaving the body.
Well, she should be running out of weakness, I'd think - when I met her, in April, she was unable to train because she had fractured vertebrae or something. I would think that a lot of weakness left her body doing that...stacked up with having an Achilles tear within, what, 6 months or so of resuming training, she should be all tapped out on weakness.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

This is the same stupid cunt that just before the Gaymes last year (her self-confessed ALL TIME "A" MEET) she fucked her shoulder up so bad she had to undergo surgery and miss the Gaymes.

She of course then blamed Crossfit and was determined to program herself to avoid further injuries/surgery.

Dumb fucking dyke.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Wow. I was going to stop making judgements on people based on their blogs, but it's hard not to with her.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I'm rereading Supertraining, so Siff was on my mind. :)

But, it really bothers me what that gal wrote about training kids. I expect my folks to be sore the first couple of workouts, but if they are training regularly and consistently feeling sore, I'm doing something wrong. I would never encourage a child to push themselves to the point of being that sore after every workout. Looking back at that "strongman" video, and the fact that most of those girls looked like teenagers, it really bothers me that uneducated "trainers" would pressure parents to take their word that what they are doing is not dangerous.

Its a sad thing when you break a kid when what you are doing is supposed to be strength and conditioning and/or preventative maintenance. Accidents do happen, but when a person is hurt performing a training protocol as prescribed, that's just plain stupid. It shouldn't happen.

Unfortunately, the average, uneducated exerciser perceives a workout to be hard if he or she feels very tired after performing the workout and/or is sore the next day. Therefore the average uneducated trainer also thinks this is the proper way to judge the efficacy of a workout.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Pain is not weakness leaving the body.

Pain is weakness looking for a hole to get in.

I truly believe that. Pain seeking behavior across sports is every bit as demented as cutting
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I had real issues coaching teen girls rugby due to the unpreventable contact injuries and other injuries.

In particular, the girls could not control their heads when they fell after contact, and the head to ground impact easily lead to concussions.

I could not control this via physical conditioning, despite trying assorted neck isometrics, manual resistance, and old school boxer neck nods early in the conditioning cycle.

Hand/wrist injuries from falling and ball handling were also an issue, as was chronically weak ankles.

Only one girl took my advice regarding ankle injuries and fixed herself. The others just couldn't be bothered.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

There is a big difference between being hurt on the field and hurt in the weight room, IMO.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I had real issues coaching teen girls rugby due to the unpreventable contact injuries and other injuries.

In particular, the girls could not control their heads when they fell after contact, and the head to ground impact easily lead to concussions.

I could not control this via physical conditioning, despite trying assorted neck isometrics, manual resistance, and old school boxer neck nods early in the conditioning cycle.

Hand/wrist injuries from falling and ball handling were also an issue, as was chronically weak ankles.

Only one girl took my advice regarding ankle injuries and fixed herself. The others just couldn't be bothered.

what do you attribute it to?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

xox

Post by xox »

I just finished reading the crossfit training guide, as I am going on the level 1 cert in January (paid off by work). I just wonder if they are serious by some of the stuff they write or taking the piss... It's going to be tough to hold my thoughts to myself

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Frogster wrote:I just finished reading the crossfit training guide, as I am going on the level 1 cert in January (paid off by work). I just wonder if they are serious by some of the stuff they write or taking the piss... It's going to be tough to hold my thoughts to myself
Word of advise - show up "injured" so you don't have to participate in the dumb ass workouts.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

The Nightman

Post by The Nightman »

Kate Rawlings wrote: Complete rupture of the left Achilles.... Surgery tomorrow morning at 8:30am.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Their goal is to make you hurt, really bad. Because they figure you'll be impressed by the pain, feel like a pussy, and commit yourself to the cult.

You'll have to do at least three workouts aside from all the "training sessions". Which may not sound bad, but holding the bottom of a squat for basically 30 minutes straight hurts after a while. And then you do Fran. The next day, you'll do another workout, it will be short, but intense. Ours was sprinting, box jumps, and kb high pulls. I was sore for almost a week afterwards.

So, take it easy. Drink lots of water. Try to block out the stupid. But, I think they test you on it now, so I guess you should try and remember the stupid. And on the way home, try and purge it from your system.

Ask them questions like, "How do you scale for someone who has their foot in a cast? or who has high blood pressure? Or diabetes? Or scoliosis?" "Are there any peer-reviewed studies to support the use of the zone or paleo diet beyond weight loss, ie for general fitness or athletes?" "By wellness, do you mean that crossfit actually cures diseases like cancer and syphillis?"

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

It would take some serious cash to get me to a level 1 cert and I'd probably get da boot real quick like.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

xox

Post by xox »

Do they expect you to go all out on their stupid shit workout?
I think Neuman's advice is a smart one. I hate being sore for no results to show.

@ Syaigh I'll go on a cleanse, I can totally relate to what you wrote ;) Yes, they do test on the weekend. I am expecting some propaganda kind of test.

I actually started highlighting what I found stupid in the manual, but had to stop. Can they fail someone for arguing or asking challenging questions?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

They won't fail you, they'll just look at you with that cult-like placid smile and give you a non-answer as if to say, "there, there, dont' hurt that head of yours thinking too much, we'll do the thinking for you." :)

I actually did ask quite a few questions about some of my actual clients who were middle aged broken people. They acted like such people didn't actually exist. :)

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Frogster wrote:I actually started highlighting what I found stupid in the manual, but had to stop. Can they fail someone for arguing or asking challenging questions?
Yes.

Tell them you have a slap tear from doing kipping pull ups, a partially torn achilles from doing high rep box jumps, and a torn rotator from doing sumo deadlift hi pulls.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality