The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Re: The couch thread

Post by Gin Master »

I'm in a state of what I call passive hate with @F. I try to stop hating it. I really do. Then crap like this comes along.
I'd Hit It wrote:I require eggs and milk products at a minimum.

My experience was her diet simply could not support CrossFit style training.

Just as she choose not to eat animal products for spiritual/ethical reasons, I choose not to work with vegans due to my own core training beliefs.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

How can you hate that, Gin? That's adorable!

I got over being angry. My anger had nothing to do with @fit anyway, it was just a convenient lightning rod.

These days, I'm entertained. I know it sounds dreadfully solipsistic, but as far as I can tell, @fit exists solely for my personal amusement.
Jean De La Bruyere wrote:"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think."
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I'm at an ebb in my dislike for Crossfit. Mostly because I'll make a $100 teaching some how to use kettlebells next Saturday.

I'm thinking (and I'm lookin' at you Glassman) that more money would give you a mouthpiece that is much more credible than the douches you have workin' for you now.

kreator

Post by kreator »

This is my @Fit hate right about now:

After I wrote the @F White Papers I didn't really have anything interesting left to add. I've seen it posted all over the Internet lately, which is kinda cool.

I got my own stuff to accomplish. @F is still the biggest bunch of unprofessional arrogant fools out there. But right now I got my own stuff to accomplish and any time spent thinking about @F could be better off spent training.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Oh I still hate it... don't kid yourselves... I no longer use the excuse "well its better than nothing, at least they are exercising" like so many others use to justify it while talking shit on it.

I feel pity for novices who enter the training world with @fit because they are led astray by quick results that peter out over time only to be followed up by those aches, pains and minor injuries... some become major injuries and some get burnt out.

I feel zero pity for the idiots that get hurt time and time again and fail to realize their training program is the cause of that.

Its criminal when box owners encourage bad form for the sake of time and applaud shit like busted up shins, ripped hands and call it tough. Its tough when you PLAY through pain when it matters but when you train and get hurt, its really time to re-evaluate.

So yea, I hate @fit... it has created a bunch of trainees that are too stupid to know any better.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

kreator wrote:. . . I got my own stuff to accomplish and any time spent thinking about @F could be better off spent training.
This is where I'm at now. The more serious I get about my training the less energy I have for @fit.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

I don't know about you fuckers, but when I'm done training, there's still 23 hours left in the day to hate.

Oh wait... that's right.... I have a job. And a life.

clutch

Post by clutch »

I've never hated Crossfit. It's just another group of moronic lemmings racing towards the cliff. Fuck, who knows, I might be able to pick up cheap bumper plates off Craigslist from Kate Rawlings when she's so crippled up that she can't even rub one out at the end of a day. Bright side to everything, I say.

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

Jay wrote:Oh I still hate it... don't kid yourselves... I no longer use the excuse "well its better than nothing, at least they are exercising" like so many others use to justify it while talking shit on it.

I feel pity for novices who enter the training world with @fit because they are led astray by quick results that peter out over time only to be followed up by those aches, pains and minor injuries... some become major injuries and some get burnt out.

I feel zero pity for the idiots that get hurt time and time again and fail to realize their training program is the cause of that.

Its criminal when box owners encourage bad form for the sake of time and applaud shit like busted up shins, ripped hands and call it tough. Its tough when you PLAY through pain when it matters but when you train and get hurt, its really time to re-evaluate.

So yea, I hate @fit... it has created a bunch of trainees that are too stupid to know any better.
You are insane.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc »

I'd Hit It wrote:CF owner wonders how he can possibly incorporate vegan clients here.

One suggestion:
I worked with a vegan woman 6 six months. She went to India for the summer to meet her husband. After thinking it through all summer long I decided not to accept her back as long as she followed a vegan diet. I require eggs and milk products at a minimum.

My experience was her diet simply could not support CrossFit style training. She was very injury prone and took way to long to recover from injuries for a young woman.

Just as she choose not to eat animal products for spiritual/ethical reasons, I choose not to work with vegans due to my own core training beliefs. I will not support the lie that a vegan diet is healthy for a human being. I decided if I do that then I'm sacrificing my beliefs in exchange for money. I'm helping to support the vegan lie.

If your spirituality requires it so be it. I believe in freedom of religion.

You will have to make your own decision. You have to pay your bills to stay open. Unfortunately these weak, sick vegans reflect on your gym when they go out in public. My members are my best advertising. I'm of the belief that businesses of all kinds who stick to good core values will succeeded in the long run.

What is your gyms core nutritional belief? Are you sticking to it or are you chasing memberships? What is best for your business in the long run? Can you keep your vegan members and make it perfectly clear they will not become strong and healthy on their diet? How do your non vegan members feel about the vegans and their beliefs? What do the majority of potential members believe, in your country, about consuming animal products.

Hard questions I know. I had to think about it for 3 months and it only involved 1 member.
I CANNOT SUPPORT THE VEGAN LIE IT IS AGAINST MY GOSPEL OF KOOL-AID

Vegan jihad! TOTALWAR
He's an idiot.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Isn't Mike Mahler a vegan? I guess kettlebells must work better than @fit.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Schleigalheimer you can't bring up Mike Maul-her as an example of vegan success. Mike's like the Higgs-Boson of the vegan lifestyle. He's possessed of so much natural testosterone he could eat nothing but styrofoam cups half filled with cold coffee and cigarette butts and still bench press a Mack truck and look so damn sexy while doing it.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Ericc wrote:
I'd Hit It wrote:CF owner wonders how he can possibly incorporate vegan clients here.

One suggestion:
I worked with a vegan woman 6 six months. She went to India for the summer to meet her husband. After thinking it through all summer long I decided not to accept her back as long as she followed a vegan diet. I require eggs and milk products at a minimum.

My experience was her diet simply could not support CrossFit style training. She was very injury prone and took way to long to recover from injuries for a young woman.

Just as she choose not to eat animal products for spiritual/ethical reasons, I choose not to work with vegans due to my own core training beliefs. I will not support the lie that a vegan diet is healthy for a human being. I decided if I do that then I'm sacrificing my beliefs in exchange for money. I'm helping to support the vegan lie.

You will have to make your own decision. You have to pay your bills to stay open. Unfortunately these weak, sick vegans reflect on your gym when they go out in public. My members are my best advertising. I'm of the belief that businesses of all kinds who stick to good core values will succeeded in the long run.

What is your gyms core nutritional belief? Are you sticking to it or are you chasing memberships? What is best for your business in the long run? Can you keep your vegan members and make it perfectly clear they will not become strong and healthy on their diet? How do your non vegan members feel about the vegans and their beliefs? What do the majority of potential members believe, in your country, about consuming animal products.

Hard questions I know. I had to think about it for 3 months and it only involved 1 member.
I CANNOT SUPPORT THE VEGAN LIE IT IS AGAINST MY GOSPEL OF KOOL-AID

Vegan jihad! TOTALWAR
He's an idiot.
I totally thought this was a woman trainer. What a fucking paper-pushing faggot.

Chessman

Post by Chessman »

One suggestion:

Might seem a little over the top but most of what he says is spot on. Vegans are almost always protein deficient. There's a lot of denial in their community about the amount of protein the body needs and the quality of protein available through vegan sources. As he says, they almost never recover from training and gains come at a snail's pace. What he says about them representing your gym is partially true in that they get injured a lot more than meat eaters and are sick more often. They are in a constant depleted state. It makes you look like you're breaking people because they aren't doing their part to recover.

Mike Mahler and others are exceptions because of their supplementation. Anyone that has read Mike's stuff knows he's crazy about supplementation and that's the way to go for vegans. But vegans like him and Jon Hinds are extremely rare.

I've trained a lot of vegans and it usually doesn't end well.

Jay

Post by Jay »

SlugFacePowerBottom wrote:
Jay wrote:Oh I still hate it... don't kid yourselves... I no longer use the excuse "well its better than nothing, at least they are exercising" like so many others use to justify it while talking shit on it.

You are insane.
thank you.... and if that wasn't a compliment, thank you anyway.

but its not like I am wasting energy thinking about how much I hate it... to be honest I never look at @fit.com anymore, I don't read their blogs, the only way I get my @fit news is here, so my hate is reserved for the few minutes per day that I am here at the end of my day. My hate is flighty that way... but.... unlike others online who bash, talk shit, poke fun of @fit in videos and facebook books I don't sell my soul and step one foot onto a @fit box at all anymore.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc »

Dave Chesser wrote:

One suggestion:

Might seem a little over the top but most of what he says is spot on. Vegans are almost always protein deficient. There's a lot of denial in their community about the amount of protein the body needs and the quality of protein available through vegan sources. As he says, they almost never recover from training and gains come at a snail's pace. What he says about them representing your gym is partially true in that they get injured a lot more than meat eaters and are sick more often. They are in a constant depleted state. It makes you look like you're breaking people because they aren't doing their part to recover.

Mike Mahler and others are exceptions because of their supplementation. Anyone that has read Mike's stuff knows he's crazy about supplementation and that's the way to go for vegans. But vegans like him and Jon Hinds are extremely rare.

I've trained a lot of vegans and it usually doesn't end well.
I haven't taken a supplement in years and I'm doing pretty well. Vegans, like everybody else need to be mindful of quality and quanity of what they eat. My recovery certainly isn't lacking and is better as a vegan then any other time and protein makes up only about 10% of my coloric intake. To each their own eating wise but for the vegan athletes I know (quite a few) and myself the example of the sickly vegan is the exception rather than the rule.

xox

Post by xox »

How fucking Elite is that?
Not accepting a member because of what they eat, what's next? How they look? How much they lift?
Sorry, too fat, GTFO.
Sorry, too weak, GTFO.
Sorry, your Fran time sucks, GTFO.

If you're personally training an individual, of course you want results that reflect your work, and he's your visit card. But group fitness members who follows a WOD? Honestly?
Sounds like someone looking for validation and approval, and worrying way too much.

Chessman

Post by Chessman »

Frogster wrote:
Not accepting a member because of what they eat, what's next? How they look? How much they lift?
Sorry, too fat, GTFO.
Sorry, too weak, GTFO.

If you're personally training an individual, of course you want results that reflect your work, and he's your visit card. But group fitness members who follows a WOD? Honestly?
Sounds like someone looking for validation and approval, and worrying way too much.
Actually he sounds like a smart trainer who's realized he doesn't need to train everyone that comes through the door in order to be successful. It took me a long time to realize that but I'm glad I did.

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Eating eggs prevents CrossFit injuries.
Shomer Shabbos.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Dave Chesser wrote: Actually he sounds like a smart trainer who's realized he doesn't need to train everyone that comes through the door in order to be successful. It took me a long time to realize that but I'm glad I did.
I have to agree somewhat. I don't like working with people who have eating disorders. I just make it very clear to them up front that nutrition is at least half involved in their success. A lot of vegan/vegetarian women are just anorexics trying to justify their inability to eat anything.

However, you can tell the different between a mindful eater and someone who is trying to avoid food. For example, I have a skinny fat vegetarian with osteoporosis (who is only 40) who doesn't necessarily eat grains and vegetables, just avoids meat. Mostly eats bread and shitty food. I've let her know very clearly how I feel about her diet, so no bitching on my watch. She's doing okay, recovery is sometimes bad, but she's happy so, I don't really care. On the other hand, I'm also strength training a vegan right now who wants to run a half marathon and she's doing great. But, she knows what she's doing with her health and I have her keep a training/diet journal to keep track of everything.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Arguing about vegans is more stupid than I'm used to.
Shomer Shabbos.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Dan Martin wrote:Arguing about vegans is more stupid than I'm used to.
=D>
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

The Nightman

Post by The Nightman »

Dave Chesser wrote:
Frogster wrote:
Sorry, too fat, GTFO.
Sorry, too weak, GTFO.

Actually he sounds like a smart trainer who's realized he doesn't need to train everyone that comes through the door in order to be successful. It took me a long time to realize that but I'm glad I did.
You're welcome. </sarcasm> :)

I turn away 3-4 people a week and my business is better for it.

But, this @fit dude is still an idiot, he has poor education skills if he can't explain why this person will most likely need to supplement protein. He's even more of an idiot, business-wise, if he doesn't have the solution for her to buy at his facility.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

The Nightman wrote:
Dave Chesser wrote:
Frogster wrote:
Sorry, too fat, GTFO.
Sorry, too weak, GTFO.

You're welcome. </sarcasm> :)

I turn away 3-4 people a week and my business is better for it.

But, this @fit dude is still an idiot, he has poor education skills if he can't explain why this person will most likely need to supplement protein. He's even more of an idiot, business-wise, if he doesn't have the solution for her to buy at his facility.
Gold.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
Jean De La Bruyere wrote:"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think."
I've never agreed with this one. I am afflicted with an inability to tolerate stupidity + arrogance. The thought that there are people like this that are consuming resources goes all over me. Maybe that qualifies as feeling. All I know is that I can't not hate @F.
Last edited by Gin Master on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.