The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The couch thread

Post by TerryB »

Life was more fun when Glassman was the public face of Cultfit.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

xox

Post by xox »

Dave and Syaigh, I understand the idea of filtering clients, it makes sense. But IMO it shouldn't be because you're worried about how this person coming to a fitness class will make you look as a trainer. That is an elitist attitude.

If the person is a pain in a arse or a full on psycho, you're better without, for sure. And as it is a free world, you can also include vegans on the list.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

So the drama.

http://crossfitaffiliatesbc.wordpress.c ... -your-box/
Warning: ‘Elite Rings’ can shatter mid-muscle up. Keep them out of your box!
By beers7

Andrew Swartz had a close call this week when both rings shattered on him, sending him to the hospital in ambulance with a concussion.

This summer, during a muscle up event at the Nutts Cup competition, one of our plastic rings split as Chris Le Bihan pulled himself up.

Here’s a video: Rings Split Video

It looked dangerous. There was a huge sense of, ‘That could have been much worse,’ as everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

We assumed it was a freak accident. Nobody had ever seen this happen before.

It was not a freak accident. I would even go so far as to these ‘Elite’ rings have a massive design flaw.

This week, Andy Swartz ended up on a stretcher in an ambulance with a concussion and a shoulder injury after a terrifying fall during a muscle up.

We don’t have it on film, but both rings pretty much simultaneously combusted, shattering in pieces (I kid you not; we were sweeping up small pieces of hard plastic from the ground). If you look at the picture, you can see that both of these rings broke in the same place, in the same way.

Andy lay awkwardly sprawled on the floor, eyes open, but not entirely alert for a good couple minutes. Today, he still has a gap in his mind because of the concussion he suffered. He knows he fell, and the next thing he remembers are the paramedics being there. The truth is it took paramedics 20 minutes to arrive.

The next day, we chatted about whether we should blame ourselves. We should have taken Chris’ fall from the rings at Nutts Cup as a warning. Maybe these rings aren’t designed for muscle ups.

To find out, I checked out the ‘Elite’ website. There was a picture of the exact rings we had, and according to their official site, muscle ups are a safe movement to do on these rings.

Here’s a blurb from their website: The advanced design of the Elite Rings II makes them unique in the gymnastics world. These are the first rings designed from the ground up for fitness training. Weighing less than three pounds, you can take them with you wherever you go. And the quick and easy mounting system allows you to hang them nearly anywhere. The selection of possible exercises is limited only by your imagination: pull-ups, dips, pushups, muscle-ups, body rows, the iron cross and much more is possible. The unique nature of the rings gives all of the exercises a fun, athletic feel.

As for our beloved Andy, he has been given the clear that nothing is broken (the paramedics were concerned he fractured his shoulder), but he’s still wandering around coaching with one arm pretty much immobile.

Not going to lie though, he looks pretty cute in his button up shirts (he can’t throw a shirt over his head so he’s been wearing dress shirts everyday), writing on the whiteboard with his non-dominant hand. His writing is actually super impressive; my non-dominant hand barely ranks higher than my pinky toe as a useful appendage.

It looks like Andy ‘The Monk’ will live, but it was terrifying, and I suggest getting rid of any hard plastic Elite rings you might have. Ours have been replaced with wooden ones (the Rogue rings from the Games) that Geoff Behrend and Pete Kendrick from Fitness Town immediately brought over to CF Van. I swear those two showed up with the new wooden rings before the ambulance arrived to attend to Andy.
Here's the link to the product:

http://ringtraining.com/shop/exf-rings.html

I hope they have Elite Liability Insurance to go with them.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

protobuilder wrote:Life was more fun when Glassman was the public face of Cultfit.
Fuck, ain't that the truth. Time was, the punchlines used to write themselves.
You'll Hurt Your Back

Chessman

Post by Chessman »

syaigh wrote: A lot of vegan/vegetarian women are just anorexics trying to justify their inability to eat anything.
Very true. The last one I trained pulled a muscle on the second move of the warmup and I've never had that happen before. The denial is strong. Additionally, I think veganism is even worse for women due to the menstrual cycle.
The Nightman wrote:You're welcome. </sarcasm> :)

I turn away 3-4 people a week and my business is better for it.

But, this @fit dude is still an idiot, he has poor education skills if he can't explain why this person will most likely need to supplement protein. He's even more of an idiot, business-wise, if he doesn't have the solution for her to buy at his facility.
Yeah it was great advice. But I learned your business has to be at a certain level in order for you to feel comfortable with doing that. Glad to do it now. Some folks aren't worth the money and are better referred to other trainers. Let them deal with it.

As for the protein, I agree completely and I also saw a business opportunity in it. But that really hasn't panned out for me. The denial about the amount of protein needed is so strong that they won't take any appreciable amount of it even if they can afford it.

JohnnyBadAss
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnnyBadAss »

Dave Chesser wrote:The denial about the amount of protein needed is so strong that they won't take any appreciable amount of it even if they can afford it.
But you just have to combine rice and beans, right? ](*,) ](*,)

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

JohnnyBadAss wrote:
Dave Chesser wrote:The denial about the amount of protein needed is so strong that they won't take any appreciable amount of it even if they can afford it.
A bitchin' little vegan hot dish is brown rice, red beans and green peas. Throw in some carmelized onions and you are gold pony boy.
Shomer Shabbos.

JohnnyBadAss
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnnyBadAss »

Dan Martin wrote:
JohnnyBadAss wrote:
A bitchin' little vegan hot dish is brown rice, red beans and green peas. Throw in some carmelized onions and you are gold pony boy.
Tasty, yes...but does that really cover one's protein needs? Sounds like a side dish to me.

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

JohnnyBadAss wrote:
Dan Martin wrote:
JohnnyBadAss wrote:
Tasty, yes...but does that really cover one's protein needs? Sounds like a side dish to me.
It probably would, especially eaten in quantity.

For that matter, it would be a good side dish for any normal (non-vegan) bulker's diet too.
Last edited by Dan Martin on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shomer Shabbos.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

One Elite Rings:

Early on, years back, I explained why Elite Rings might have issues. The fact that they are molded in halves and then adhesive or welding is used to glue them together seriously compromises the integrity of the product. I had this discussion with Tyler Hass on the Crossfit forums, if I remember right. At the time I was extensively involved in the plastics industry, and welded or glued seams are significantly weaker than those that are molded in one piece.

The issue was that of set up cost. Hass wanted lightweight rings, similar to the wood weight. Solid plastic was heavier...not by much, but heavier, and the hollow metal tube rings were even heavier. So he went with the cheapest option, molding and gluing or welding. The mold for half rings is significantly thinner and this cheaper and has a more rapid cycling time than a full ring mold.

The quality of the plastic was an issue, as there are several types that will age poorly. I'm not sure what plastic Hass uses, but the way the straps are attached to the rings with those slots provide an area that will break down, especially given the way Crossfitter kip on them.

Chris Sommer's rings are far superior for fitness, and have none of the issues Hass' rings have.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The quality of the plastic was an issue, as there are several types that will age poorly. I'm not sure what plastic Hass uses, but the way the straps are attached to the rings with those slots provide an area that will break down, especially given the way Crossfitter kip on them.
I was always intuitively suspicious of the "slotted strap" design, since no one else does that.

The idea of weight being a huge factor in portable rings (what, going from maybe 2# to 3#?) is silly, particularly when their strength while hanging is the most crucial factor.

Tyler has some big PR stuff to work on now. That picture of the broken rings tells a nasty story.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

What a duck says wrote:
Tyler has some big PR stuff to work on now.
PR spin, HQ style:

"You all need a big dose of STFU therapy! If falling off the rings and breaking your neck is foreign to you we don't want you in our ranks!"

Not what The Gorilla would recommend, speaking as a PR professional, but we have precedent with @fit's prior PR efforts.
You'll Hurt Your Back

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Isn't Tyler Hass a HYOOGE douchebag?
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

Edzekiel Zachariah wrote:Isn't Tyler Hass a HYOOGE douchebag?
Sure, why not?
Fuck that guy.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

This whole Ring fracas may seem like a tragedy, but some good will come of it, of that The Gorilla is certain. Stay tuned.
You'll Hurt Your Back

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

What a duck says wrote:The idea of weight being a huge factor in portable rings (what, going from maybe 2# to 3#?) is silly
Consider who is using them.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

This is an ironic turn of events. Usually it's the Crossfitters injuring the equipment, not the other way around.

Maybe the rings simply had enough of the faggotry and said, "Fuck this shit! I'm out!"
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:One Elite Rings:

Early on, years back, I explained why Elite Rings might have issues. The fact that they are molded in halves and then adhesive or welding is used to glue them together seriously compromises the integrity of the product. I had this discussion with Tyler Hass on the Crossfit forums, if I remember right. At the time I was extensively involved in the plastics industry, and welded or glued seams are significantly weaker than those that are molded in one piece.

The issue was that of set up cost. Hass wanted lightweight rings, similar to the wood weight. Solid plastic was heavier...not by much, but heavier, and the hollow metal tube rings were even heavier. So he went with the cheapest option, molding and gluing or welding. The mold for half rings is significantly thinner and this cheaper and has a more rapid cycling time than a full ring mold.

The quality of the plastic was an issue, as there are several types that will age poorly. I'm not sure what plastic Hass uses, but the way the straps are attached to the rings with those slots provide an area that will break down, especially given the way Crossfitter kip on them.

Chris Sommer's rings are far superior for fitness, and have none of the issues Hass' rings have.
Elite Rings sucks ass anyway. Sommer's Xtreme Rings are good. I have a pair. I like Rogues even better.
At the time I was extensively involved in the plastics industry
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrLHP26zvk[/youtube]

xox

Post by xox »

here's the disclaimer to any bitching

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Drywall has started a trend. All the cool kids are starting blogs to talk shit about @F while they all continue to worship at the altar of the HMIC.

http://elitecrossfitbitch.blogspot.com/ ... ously.html

http://theonesecondclub.blogspot.com/20 ... ssfit.html

and just because:

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

"4. Honor the word of thy infallible leader, Lord Glassman.

Lord Glassman knows everything and cannot lie. Believe every word he says. The adaptation between people who workout and don't eat well and people who eat well but don't work out is the same? You're damn right it is, Lord Glassman himself told me. The people who win the CrossFit Games are the Fittest on Earth? Clearly they must be, for it was decreed from on up high by Lord Glassman."

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer:
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

The one second club? I currently have Beavis & Butthead's voices going "ha ha" in my brain.

Is that like the goal when screwing for time?

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

You'll Hurt Your Back

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I don't think Tyler's a douch. He's gotten screwed over by Glassman at assorted times in the past on some early certs, I think.

I think the ring design was kind of dumb and shortsighted though.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

WildGorillaMan wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imaXjsqI1u4[/youtube]
Well played. Here's mine: