Sumu versus Judu

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Sumu versus Judu

Post by Holland Oates »

Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Sumu versus Judu

Post by Fat Cat »

Superb displays.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

What level is this? He made that shit look easy.

The Captain
Corporal

Post by The Captain »

I love how in the early fights in this video, he doesn't make the start of the match a timing issue. He just sets his fists down and waits for the opponent to start the match. Plus, it is nice to see mobility and some basic judo trumping being fat and attempting to slap someone out of the ring.
DVD Pimp wrote:Furthermore, it's pretty hard to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women while sitting on the couch eating cheetos and watching reality shows.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Godshammer wrote:I love how in the early fights in this video, he doesn't make the start of the match a timing issue. He just sets his fists down and waits for the opponent to start the match. Plus, it is nice to see mobility and some basic judo trumping being fat and attempting to slap someone out of the ring.

In many ways the white dude is practicing sumo. sumo as it was practiced and looked before the era modern era of gigantic whales dominating Sumo. Even then, probably how it is practiced amongst the non freak sumo wrestlers. Sumo can be very mobile and athletic when the participants are not walking mounds of flesh.

Sumo has throws just like Judo, just not so many. These throws have the same names and are executed just like any Judo throw.

I'm no expert on Sumo and it's history, but from what I've read and seen, what you are complaining about is a recent development in Sumo. Take a look at pictures of Sumo wrestlers from the 1800s lr even the smaller Sumo guys today. They look nothing like the freaks that dominate sumo today. What you'll see is well muscled, big guys, with some belly fat. Yeah, they are fat, but not grossly fat.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

sanchezero

Post by sanchezero »

That was pretty badass. Bitch slap to the two on one - profit!
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

The Captain
Corporal

Post by The Captain »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
Godshammer wrote: I'm no expert on Sumo and it's history, but from what I've read and seen, what you are complaining about is a recent development in Sumo. Take a look at pictures of Sumo wrestlers from the 1800s lr even the smaller Sumo guys today. They look nothing like the freaks that dominate sumo today. What you'll see is well muscled, big guys, with some belly fat. Yeah, they are fat, but not grossly fat.

I'm no Sumo expert either and I am far from complaining. Just making an observation....
DVD Pimp wrote:Furthermore, it's pretty hard to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women while sitting on the couch eating cheetos and watching reality shows.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Great thread. I'd like to see some NFL Defensive Ends take up Sumo for a few years.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

That was fucking incredible.

And kudos for the putting-fists-down-right-away move.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Badass. That's a tough bitch.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

There are a limited number of slots open to foreigners in sumo, the governing body became concerned due to the nature of the sport and the fact that Polynesian wrestlers like Takamiyama, Konishiki, and Musashimaru were eating the Jappos alive. So don't plan on an NFL invasion.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

BTW, most of his highlights are from when he was competing in a lower category called jūryō, now he is fighting in the top category of makuuchi and doing not very well. He's just not big enough to compete with the elites who combine technique with size.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

He also got popped for insulin.

rjudo
Gunny

Post by rjudo »

Fat Cat wrote:He also got popped for insulin.

#-o
food is medicine. that's why i'm drinking dr. pepper.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

johno wrote:Great thread. I'd like to see some NFL Defensive Ends take up Sumo for a few years.
Agreed. In fact it would be great if all football players incorporated the principles of Judo and Sumo in their play.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

I guess I'll be the first to say it... WHITE POWER!

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

Two things from this thread.

There is a very excellent judo dojo in Cranford, NJ owned by Sensei Yoshida Yonezuka who coached the U.S. National Team. He used to give Sumo lessons on Saturdays. I don't know if he still does. One of his students in judo and sumo was Emanuel Yarbrough of UFC infamy.

Andy78 mentioned NFL lineman. I always thought Offensive Tackles would do really well learning judo/sumo/greco. A lot of lineman wrestle in high school, so many of them probably have a decent grappling background.

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Aussie sumo broad, brought to you by Internet.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Would.

Paradoxes of Defense
Private

Post by Paradoxes of Defense »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
Godshammer wrote:
Sumo has throws just like Judo, just not so many. These throws have the same names and are executed just like any Judo throw.
Untrue.

A)There are about the same number of throws in both (depending on how you count henka waza; and whether or not you include throws now banned and/or quasi-banned in judo competition).

B) Taking a quick glance at my books on sumo, I couldn't find a single one that has the same name as a judo throw.

C) They're executed quite differently, for a variety of reasons, not least of which include the lack of a gi, and the different criteria for victory. An entire category or two of judo throws is missing. They're also set up quite differently, due to attacks that are allowed in sumo but not in judo, and again the lack of a gi.

Is judo a good base for going into sumo? Sure, but greco would probably be even better.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Try to be a little less pedantic, bro. For serious.

Koshiwaza (hip techniques) and koshinage (hip throws) are not huge differences in terminology, ipponzeoi vs. ippon-seoinage is another example.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Best video I've seen all week. Thanks, EZ!

Topic author
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I stole it from Facebook.

Paradoxes of Defense
Private

Post by Paradoxes of Defense »

Fat Cat wrote:Try to be a little less pedantic, bro. For serious.

Koshiwaza (hip techniques) and koshinage (hip throws) are not huge differences in terminology, ipponzeoi vs. ippon-seoinage is another example.
You're right, I missed a couple that do have the same name. Nevertheless, looking at this list of about 70 techniques, I see very very few names that are in judo:

http://www.chijanofuji.com/Kimarite.html

Also, should have said the first time: thank you Ed for the link. Awesome, fantastic video.

Topic author
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I've always loved Sumo. I watch every doc or reality show I can find. Sadly one of the highlights of going to college was finding a couple of books on Sumo that I hadn't read before, well that and some old WW2 combatives books. Damn I was a boring fooker.