Savagely attacked by the Whole9 crowd on Facebook

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Savagely attacked by the Whole9 crowd on Facebook

Post by syaigh »

The sad thing is that young kids who show "interest" in things like this typically do it as a manipulative or, more sadly, a defensive behavior. Have to go along with what whack-job parent is doing because not doing so results in something far more unpleasant. Watched my 10 year old goddaughter go vegan to support her insane mother, who is by all definitions, a manipulative crazy narcissistic bitch.

Thinking that diet will cure things that good parenting should fix or better yet, accept is a part of being a child, is just plain crazy.

I feel bad for that kid and doubt his dad even knows how his behavior affects his child.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Syaigh makes my point well.

The whole original post is full of serious goofiness. It's one thing to promote eating healthy, natural foods. its another to obsess about them so much you're preaching to your kid for 3 years or more about it

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

It's just food. Jesus. The most that's going to happen, apart from extreme cases, is that eating "healthy" gets u a few more years and you'll be more active for longer. But we're all dying from the time we're born. I think a part of this is a psychological perversion of the otherwise sensible predisposition to "store nuts for winter". These zealots have subconsciously linked "eating well for future benefit to health" with "staying alive forever v dying now". There is no proportionality to it.

My son and I have been talking about this for 7 years and he agrees. He plays sports and everything you fucking losers!
It's great to be first at last

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Were these people as sanctimonious about their vices before they embraced orthorexia, Jesus, @fit or all three?

From what I've observed, "Going Paleo" involves three distinct forms of worship:

1) Constant consensus building: "Isn't almond butter amazing! And how about this quinoa? OMG, it's heavenly!" Both in order to share their misery and to hypnotize themselves into believing that the foods they've limited themselves to are actually tasty and satisfying, and pretend that they don't really miss any of the "BAD" foods.

2) Constantly exhorting each other to start 1, 9, 30, or 47-day "challenges" and the associated endless cheerleading of each other.

3) Guilt, self-loathing, and public self-flagellation for their sins when they fall off the wagon. That's okay, they'll start another 30 day challenge tomorrow.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

kreator

Post by kreator »

I talk to my kids (2 & 4) about healthy eating all the time. My daughter learned the hard way Sunday night -after she ate a bunch of junk at a Superbowl party and threw up - that food can make us healthy or make us sick. We talked very specifically on Monday about how her intake of crackers and chips and pizza roll upset her tummy. My daughter finds this stuff very interesting (granted she is a nerd of a 4 year old!) and we talk about it.
LOL 4 years old.

Pukes after having some pizza.

'Finds this stuff very interesting'. What 4 year old is really interested in dietary practices? 4 year olds are just beyond the stage where they will eat GI joes and bars of soap...

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

What I love is the paleo folks who gather a fuckton of "paleo" ingredients and assemble them into some kind of frankenfood of overly processed paleo

Like paleo muffins. paleo brownies...etc

IMO the benefits accrue with the old IGx adage of whole, fresh, and raw being the signpost.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Do kids really talk like that? I mean seriously, I've seen lots of blogs and comments from people, and they describe their utopian conversations with their kids the same, like the kids are having these high level adult conversations I can't even get from my other engineer co-workers.

Has anyone here had a conversation like that with one of their kids?

I have a male high school senior (30 act score) and a female sophomore (she got the highest math grade in our county for the special nerd school she goes to). I've never had a conversation, the utopian way that one was described, with my kids. I think the closest I came was when my son was in 1st grade and came home with a flyer for cub scouts. I showed him my old merit badge sash and eagle medal, and he thought that was really cool and he said he wanted to do it too (just finished btw).

My kids are fit, the boy has done a lot of martial arts and now lifts weights, he's got his six pack, and the girl did competitive gymnastics and is entered and training for the Detroit Marathon for this year. They both often still eat Trix for breakfast, and sometimes Marshamllow Froot Loops when I can find it. Nacho's are a dinner they make themselves once a week.

I just wish I could have those really cool adult conversations with them.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Who the fuck brags about their 4-year old puking like a bulimic jockey?!

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

j-cubed wrote:Do kids really talk like that? I mean seriously, I've seen lots of blogs and comments from people, and they describe their utopian conversations with their kids the same, like the kids are having these high level adult conversations I can't even get from my other engineer co-workers.

Has anyone here had a conversation like that with one of their kids?

I have a male high school senior (30 act score) and a female sophomore (she got the highest math grade in our county for the special nerd school she goes to). I've never had a conversation, the utopian way that one was described, with my kids. I think the closest I came was when my son was in 1st grade and came home with a flyer for cub scouts. I showed him my old merit badge sash and eagle medal, and he thought that was really cool and he said he wanted to do it too (just finished btw).

My kids are fit, the boy has done a lot of martial arts and now lifts weights, he's got his six pack, and the girl did competitive gymnastics and is entered and training for the Detroit Marathon for this year. They both often still eat Trix for breakfast, and sometimes Marshamllow Froot Loops when I can find it. Nacho's are a dinner they make themselves once a week.

I just wish I could have those really cool adult conversations with them.
You have failed as a parent. Your boy could have a 33 ACT and an 8-pack and your girl would've been an Olympian but for that bullshit you've been feeding them.

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Holy fuck, those people went straight for the throat. Obviously I touched an nerve. Read the fucking post below and tell me if I doesn't sound like some fucked up shit is going on beyond eating a standard American diet.

I like the asshole who immediately starts insulting my family.
don't they advocate "unplugging" from electrical devices and blue light or something. The absurdity of then arguing on the internet is probably lost on them.
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

The quickest way to get a discussion to go sideways is to make it about food.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Fat Cat wrote:The quickest way to get a discussion to go sideways is to make it about food or thigh high boots. In fact I've got a pair on now.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Fat Cat wrote:The quickest way to get a discussion to go sideways is to make it about food.
Spam and pineapple: that's all you know.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Shapecharge wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:The quickest way to get a discussion to go sideways is to make it about food or thigh high boots. In fact I've got a pair on now.
Your dog hates you!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

seeahill wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:The quickest way to get a discussion to go sideways is to make it about food.
You forgot poi.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

j-cubed wrote:Do kids really talk like that?
No of course not. Only parents that are robots hear these things. Don't know of a kid that won't go for a piece of cake when offered.

Unfortunately these kids will either grow up and be afraid to go outside or be so completely twisted they wont have any friends... What a lonely life ahead of them all because of Mork and Mindy.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Fat Cat wrote:
seeahill wrote:
You forgot poi.
One man's meat is another man's poi, son.

CrapSammich
Staff Sergeant

Post by CrapSammich »

WildGorillaMan wrote: From what I've observed, "Going Paleo" involves three distinct forms of worship: . . .
And of course, the tithing and the hairshirt. A challenge just isn't a challenge without a registration fee and a t-shirt.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

seeahill wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
seeahill wrote:
You forgot poi.
You're the expert on other men's meat.

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Fat Cat wrote:
seeahill wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
seeahill wrote:
You forgot poi.
And you're my little Hawaiian poi-toy.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

seeahill wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
seeahill wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
seeahill wrote:
You forgot poi.
And you're my little Hawaiian poi-toy.
Poi toy poi toy, whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Atta Boy, Crusty!

Count Truculent
Staff Sergeant

Post by Count Truculent »

I sometimes wonder if kids aren't taught that junk food is a treat/reward, or that it is wrong/evil (two sides of the same coin), that there will be no way they would grow up to be compulsive overeaters or orthorexics (again, two sides to the same coin). In other words, if they were given freedom about food choices their whole life, they would gravitate to eating wholesome food mainly.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

If your primary identification is related to what you eat, you live a shallow life. Period.

"Would you like paper or plastic?"

"Neither, I'm paleo!"

Kids pick up food values of their parents. A few weeks ago, we were at COSTCO and my son blurted out "Holy crap, did you see see their cart? No wonder they are so fat." Now, despite my assurances to my wife that he probably picked this up from school, that probably isn't entirely the situation.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

At the end of the day, (or at the beginning) it all ends up being shit. Diet control over others is a mind-fuck of the first magnitude. Those douchebags should be beaten with a salami and have parsnips shoved up their ass.
Shomer Shabbos.