The Psycopath Test

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

The Psycopath Test

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Good quick read. Subtitle is, A Journey through the Madness industry.. Written by the guy who wrote, Men who Stare at Goats.

Amazon's copy reads thusly...
They say one out of every hundred people is a psychopath. You probably passed one on the street today. These are people who have no empathy, who are manipulative, deceitful, charming, seductive, and delusional. The Psychopath Test is the New York Times bestselling exploration of their world and the madness industry.

When Jon Ronson is drawn into an elaborate hoax played on some of the world’s top scientists, his investigation leads him, unexpectedly, to psychopaths. He meets an influential psychologist who is convinced that many important business leaders and politicians are in fact high-flying, high-functioning psychopaths, and teaches Ronson how to spot them. Armed with these new abilities, Ronson meets a patient inside an asylum for the criminally insane who insists that he’s sane, a mere run-of-the-mill troubled youth, not a psychopath—a claim that might be only manipulation, and a sign of his psychopathy. He spends time with a death-squad leader institutionalized for mortgage fraud, and with a legendary CEO who took joy in shutting down factories and firing people. He delves into the fascinating history of psychopathy diagnosis and treatments, from LSD-fueled days-long naked therapy sessions in prisons to attempts to understand serial killers.
Author weaves together kind of a rambling narrative that pulls in indictments of the DSM, Scientologists, CEO assholes and well meaning but misguided therapists and mental patients. Can't properly sum it up beyond that other than if you have a flight of less than 3 hours, it's perfect.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Psycopath Test

Post by buckethead »

Author was funny as hell on Jon Stewart. Made me want to buy his new book: Lost at Sea

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
They say one out of every hundred people is a psychopath. You probably passed one on the street today. These are people who have no empathy, who are manipulative, deceitful, charming, seductive, and delusional.
And I thought I saw this in others simply because I went from working in Washington, DC, to working in a business school.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I read the first chapter of Lost at Sea, super funny. He talks to the Insane Clown Posse, who claim their music has all along been cryptic references towards a higher purpose.

I'd love to read the rest of the book.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

vern

Post by vern »

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:

27. Uh Oh....
6?
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

I thought Psychopath Test was a great book. Very entertaining.