Are there any David Bowie fans on here?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Are there any David Bowie fans on here?

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Because I just wanted to tell you that his new track he dropped last week sucks AIDS infected nigger dicks.

That is all.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Are there any David Bowie fans on here?

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I love me some Bowie, but that shit he put out last week tells me that the flame has been extinguished. Stay retired, Duke.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Serious question, has he done anything worth listening to since 1983?
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Mick Jagger gets in touch with his outer child when he watches this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--IqqusnNQ[/youtube]
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

tzg
Gunny

Post by tzg »

Yeah, see, the problem is that you kept listening to his new stuff. You just can't listen after a pop musicians 20th year of music - even 10 is pushing it very hard. The only exception is somebody who's making the same sort of stuff, where the sound stays the same, it just gets deeper. I'm thinking of Cash here. But, then, I probably wouldn't listen to anything he came up with himself at that point.

tzg
Gunny

Post by tzg »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Serious question, has he done anything worth listening to since 1983?
Not as far as I know. I think I've listened to his entire discography at least once, but I don't think I ever go back to anything after Heroes (I do admit Let's Dance is a good album, it's just not my thing).

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Serious question, has he done anything worth listening to since 1983?
Not really. That 'Jazzin for Blue Jean' shit that followed the 'Let's Dance' album was pretty weak, and then all the critics turned against him when he "sold out" with the Glass Spider tour.

msr2112
Staff Sergeant

Post by msr2112 »

tzg wrote:Yeah, see, the problem is that you kept listening to his new stuff. You just can't listen after a pop musicians 20th year of music - even 10 is pushing it very hard. The only exception is somebody who's making the same sort of stuff, where the sound stays the same, it just gets deeper. I'm thinking of Cash here. But, then, I probably wouldn't listen to anything he came up with himself at that point.
Many times you may be right. Rush is a notable exception. Clockwork Angels is a terrific CD.
Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift this heavy-ass weight!! -Ronnie Coleman

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Post by beefheart »

Has anybody?
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

tzg wrote:Yeah, see, the problem is that you kept listening to his new stuff. You just can't listen after a pop musicians 20th year of music - even 10 is pushing it very hard. The only exception is somebody who's making the same sort of stuff, where the sound stays the same, it just gets deeper. I'm thinking of Cash here. But, then, I probably wouldn't listen to anything he came up with himself at that point.
Oh my, you haven't heard about Cash?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

johnst_nhb
Sarge

Post by johnst_nhb »

msr2112 wrote:
Many times you may be right. Rush is a notable exception. Clockwork Angels is a terrific CD.
CA is a terrific record.

Chessman

Post by Chessman »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aepBpZ3kXek[/youtube]
"Lost Highway" was a very cool movie and Bowie added to the creepyness. "Heart's filthy lesson" is also good.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Chessman wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aepBpZ3kXek[/youtube]
"Lost Highway" was a very cool movie and Bowie added to the creepyness. "Heart's filthy lesson" is also good.
Out of the last thirty years of his output that's a pretty disappointing ratio.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Who can listen to this shit?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7dMBcg-gE[/youtube]

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

It's time for "Ziggy Stardust Sings Stardust and other Standards" followed by "I'm Dreaming of a Thin White Duke Christmas"
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

msr2112 wrote:

FUCKING A RIGHT! I would almost call it their Magnum Opus. The comming together of all their years, skill and life into a single statement.

"The Garden" will be played at my funeral before the torch hits the pyre.

Back to Bowie. I love his older shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDbQc3QdXU

Fucking swagger!

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

LG Elf Ftr/Wizard 7/17
Gunny

Post by LG Elf Ftr/Wizard 7/17 »

He was good as Tesla in "The Prestige"; maybe acting's where it's at for him now. "Suffragette City" was a great tune from the old days.
Senator Ted Kennedy, just five years after Chappaquiddick (criticizing President Gerald Ford's pardon of Richard Nixon): "Is there one system of justice for the average citizen and another system for the high and mighty?"

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Yeah that new song doesn't do much for me but the new album hits in a little over a week and the critics who have had an advance listen are creaming their jeans over it http://www.metacritic.com/music/the-nex ... avid-bowie

I will reserve judgement till I hear it but I will be shocked if it is good as the old stuff. Meanwhile if you like older Bowie check out the Divine Fits (Side project of Brit Daniels of Spoon). Not that it sounds like Bowie but the pop sensibility is def. there.
Shut the fuck up and train

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I'm a fan of live Bowie. He's never afraid to take his songs and play them in a new way, and his bands are always great musicians. I love this version of Ashes to Ashes, intro included.

http://youtu.be/unuo-fdhbXs

Can't get the link to embed on my ipad.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Bowie is also the Sovereign the Guild of Calamitous Intent.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Check out his interviews on YT. Not back in the 70s when he was arrogant and off his head but later in life. He's extremely astute and funny. He boxes too, who knew.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful