Come and fight a Gurkha!

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Come and fight a Gurkha!

Post by Turdacious »

At the end of April 1945, the 89th Indian Brigade of 7th Division was ordered to cross the Irrawaddy and destroy the enemy north of the Prome-Taungup road. By May 9 the Japanese, after a series of desperate attacks, had broken off contact and were withdrawing towards the Taungdaw Valley. “B” and “C” companies of the 4th/8th Gurkha Rifles were positioned to block their route at the village of Taungdaw, on the west bank of the river.

When the Japanese arrived, the two Gurkha companies were surrounded and their lines of communication cut. On the night of May 12, Rifleman Gurung was manning the forward post of his platoon almost 100 yards ahead of the main company.

At 1.20am, more than 200 Japanese attacked the company position. The brunt of the assault fell on Gurung’s section and, in particular, on his post, which dominated a jungle track leading up to his platoon’s position. Had the enemy been able to overrun it and occupy Gurung’s trench, they would have secured control over the whole of the field before them.

One grenade fell on the lip of Gurung’s trench. He quickly grabbed it and hurled it back at the enemy. Almost immediately another grenade came over. This one fell directly inside the trench. Again Gurung snatched it up and threw it back.

A third grenade landed just in front of the trench. Gurung attempted to throw it back, but it exploded in his hand, blowing off his fingers, shattering his right arm and severely wounding him in the face, body and right leg. His two comrades were also badly wounded and lay helpless in the bottom of the trench.

The enemy, screaming and yelling, now formed up shoulder to shoulder and attempted to rush the position by sheer weight of numbers. Gurung, regardless of his wounds, loaded and fired his rifle with his left hand and kept up a steady rate of fire.

The attacks came in wave after wave, but the Japanese were beaten back with heavy losses. For four hours Gurung remained alone at his post, calmly waiting for each new onslaught, firing into his attackers at point blank range, determined not to yield an inch of ground. His comrades could hear him shouting: “Come and fight a Gurkha!”

The following morning, of the 87 enemy dead found in the company’s immediate locality, 31 lay in front of Gurung’s section. The Japanese made repeated attempts to break through, but the 4th/8th held out until May 15, when they were relieved.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... ng-VC.html

A man's man-- RIP.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bob Wildes

Re: Come and fight a Gurkha!

Post by Bob Wildes »

RIP. :prayer:
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Buy low, sell high

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It's pretty well established that Gurkha are among the hardest motherfuckers around.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Fat Cat wrote:It's pretty well established that Gurkha are among the hardest motherfuckers around.
Unfortunately, only recently have they been a match for their greatest opponent-- the British bureaucrat.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

I used to live near where a load of them were stationed in the UK. Incredibly polite people. I remember some getting my dad to help them write a cheque out in a pizza take-away and couldn't believe how well mannered they were. A trivial episode, but it had an effect on me as a teenager. That said I took part in a very shit military race a couple of years back and beat several Gurkhas, therefore making me infinitely tougher than them in every way. Fact.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Wow. That is unbelievable. RIP

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

They are truely some of the best people and soldiers. Tyeir heroics really know no limits.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

tough old man wrote:They are truely some of the best people and soldiers. Tyeir heroics really know no limits.
And the jews think they are the chosen people!

With the way they are to a friend, a decent stranger and how they are to their enemies, I think the Gurkha are a near perfect people.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy