Dresden Files - Cold Days

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
The Crawdaddy

Dresden Files - Cold Days

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Got this for the better half for Christmas, and pretty much devoured it right after she was done. Butcher's writing continues to improve as the situations Harry finds himself in continue to deteriorate. One of my favorite Dresden novels to date, and doesn't fail to leave you wanting more.

I gave it =D> =D> =D> out of four.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: Dresden Files - Cold Days

Post by Holland Oates »

Book crack

I bought the hardcover for Amazon a while back and I've got it on my nook but I've yet to read it.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Topic author
The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Ed Zachary wrote:Book crack.
Why yes. :-"
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I don't know anything about Jim Butcher...I'm assuming that he was being ironic when he took these...

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:I don't know anything about Jim Butcher...I'm assuming that he was being ironic when he took these...

Maybe.

My biggest complaint with the Dresden series is his infatuation with aikido and such nonsense. The thought of a 110# female cop slinging 200+# goons around at will gives me the douchechills.

The picture almost put me off the series after I read the first book.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I think they're stupid and juvenile. Of course I've read 10 volumes and will read them all before it's over. I'm not proud of myself but I like candy and they're the candy corn or Peeps of books. I should stop, I want to stop, but I'm just having a little more and then I'm really going to stop.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I knew it before I even googled it...

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:I don't know anything about Jim Butcher...I'm assuming that he was being ironic when he took these...

Given that his second series is the result of a bet that he couldn't write a story using both Roman legions and Pokemon, I don't think he takes himself too seriously.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Schlegel wrote:
Given that his second series is the result of a bet that he couldn't write a story using both Roman legions and Pokemon, I don't think he takes himself too seriously.
I read the first book of his fantasy series. Didn't care for it.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:I think they're stupid and juvenile. Of course I've read 10 volumes and will read them all before it's over. I'm not proud of myself but I like candy and they're the candy corn or Peeps of books. I should stop, I want to stop, but I'm just having a little more and then I'm really going to stop.
I think he's actually called his stuff "popcorn fantasy" before. Definitely doesnt take himself seriously. I figure if most of America can watch Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo, I can read this and still retain some dignity.

Topic author
The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Dunn wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:I think they're stupid and juvenile. Of course I've read 10 volumes and will read them all before it's over. I'm not proud of myself but I like candy and they're the candy corn or Peeps of books. I should stop, I want to stop, but I'm just having a little more and then I'm really going to stop.
I think he's actually called his stuff "popcorn fantasy" before. Definitely doesnt take himself seriously. I figure if most of America can watch Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo, I can read this and still retain some dignity.
Cheers! :partyman:

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:I knew it before I even googled it...

Would....

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Cold Days sets so much stuff up. Butcher has said that he is building towards an apocalyptic trilogy to end the series and you can see if happening here. I don't generally read that much of this kind of stuff but Dresden is quality. Butcher's improvement as a writer from the initial three or four books to what he is tossing out now is commendable.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.