Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Louis CK Oh. My. God

Post by baffled »

New special on HBO.

Hilarious. I went to have dinner with the folks last night and stuck around to watch it. One bit had everyone laughing so hard we could barely breathe.

I'm a huge Louis CK fan. If you don't have HBO, there's a chance you're a mongoloid.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Louis CK Oh. My. God

Post by buckethead »

He and Bill Burr are my favorite.

We just got a 24/7 comedy station here in Colorado a couple months ago. They play 2-3 minute bits by comics all day, just like songs on a music station. Best thing ever. Anyway CK and Burr kill it constantly.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Between that and all that legal weed, it sounds like Colorado is about to experience a big time jump in its population.

That sounds awesome.
- Buck Brannaman

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

baffled wrote:Between that and all that legal weed, it sounds like Colorado is about to experience a big time jump in its population.

That sounds awesome.
3. more. days

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

baffled wrote:New special on HBO.
Hilarious. I went to have dinner with the folks last night and stuck around to watch it. One bit had everyone laughing so hard we could barely breath.
Wife & I saw him NY's Eve in Baltimore, the same show that he did in the new special. Our impression was that the show we saw was noticeably better; that it did not fully come thru on HBO. For example, there was extra stuff to the bit in the building atrium where he's talking to the other guy who lives in the same building, and the extra stuff at the end put a whole different spin on the whole bit. Either he did not do that extra stuff for HBO, or it wound up on the cutting room floor. Couple other things like that. So we were actually slightly disappointed by the HBO special – I mean, very slightly. We still liked it, just remembered his show a little different.

The "of course / but maybe" bit is friggin classic. That's been stuck in my head since NY's: I was especially looking forward to that thru the whole special, was a pleasure to see it again. Hope that's the bit you were talking about.

He's amazing. We've seen him twice live (last year too) and all his HBO stuff, plus about half the episodes of his TV show. Huge fans.

There's a show on HBO, if you haven't seen it you have to. It's called Talking Funny. It's Louis CK, Seinfeld, Chris Rock, and Ricky Gervais, sitting around together talking about comedy. For an HOUR. It is hilarious. We Tivo'd it, probably watched it ten times. Seinfeld asks some leading questions, like what was your first good bit etc; but a lot of it is the guys just cracking each other up, and some reminiscing. CK and Seinfeld and Rock have known each other 20 or 30 years, worked their ways up together, which I did not realize; so they say things to each other that sound like continuations of long-running conversations. And Seinfeld has a long-standing interest in how comedy happens – remember he made that documentary ~10 yrs ago. The show is amazing, must-see. Don't know if it's available On Demand; hope so.
Last edited by JimZipCode on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I liked the bit about the things you say to people in other cars. That, and Michael J. Fox.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Excellent endorsement Baff...since we're internet bros I will watch it. Oh, when I get around to it I've decided I'm gonna buy that Galaxy Note.

I wholeheartedly endorse Bill Burr as well. I've been a fan of his for a long time. His stuff is great and hopefully without sounding too gay about it, he really speaks to my head and heart.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Nice, Shape. Interested to hear your thoughts on the show and the Note. I messed around with one when I was in the Verizon store the other day and got a little chubbed out.

I'm ashamed to say that I have very little exposure to Bill Burr. Gotta look on YouTube later when I'm not "working". I'm supposed to be "working" right now, actually.
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:I liked the bit about the things you say to people in other cars. That, and Michael J. Fox.
Thanks, Shaf.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:
baffled wrote:I liked the bit about the things you say to people in other cars. That, and Michael J. Fox.
Thanks, Shaf.
[-X
I can't be giving jokes away. Jim and I get it. You're just upset because you're not part of the cool guy club

Coincidentally, I am posting from my iPad, while taking a shit. Maybe you're right. I might be a mini bear.
- Buck Brannaman

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I dont' see the big deal with Louis CK

I do'nt think he's that funny.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

protobuilder wrote:I dont' see the big deal with Louis CK
I don't think he's that funny.
My gut is that this particular show, "Oh My God", is not the place to start if someone is not already a fan of his. This is very vague, but I got a sense that he was really experimenting this time out, trying to find the borderline of things that you even can be funny about. Is it possible to get an audience to laugh at this subject? I'm thinking here of bits like the dog in the toilet, the disposal bags provided at the mall, etc. Occasionally he hits a home run, like with "of course / but maybe", but some of it doesn't quite get there – some of it is grisly.

The first bit of his that ever really got me to laugh my ass off, I think it was the stuff about his kids toward the end of Shameless (2007). Esp starting at about 5:30 in the below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnXpOygKGI[/youtube]

I lost it when he got to that bit about punching. Quoted it for weeks. But of course this plays better in the show, where he's built up to it over like half an hour. It probably doesn't do it justice to watch it "cold", out of context of the rest of the show.

His current show on FX, that's very much an acquired taste too. We only watch it occasionally.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman