Shapecharge. Explain pressure cooker bombs.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Shapecharge. Explain pressure cooker bombs.

Post by TomFurman »

Pressure cooker, black power,.. ball bearings.. Is there more to this stuff?
So the domestic or foreign terrorists made this from items at Walmart?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Shapecharge. Explain pressure cooker bombs.

Post by Fat Cat »

I think it is just a simple way to amplify the power of an explosive by pressurizing it, since pressure cookers are cheap, anonymous, pressure chambers.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Using a pressure cooker has more to do with availability than anything else. It also is a secondary source of shrapnel.
Shomer Shabbos.

kreator

Post by kreator »

Fat Cat wrote:I think it is just a simple way to amplify the power of an explosive by pressurizing it, since pressure cookers are cheap, anonymous, pressure chambers.
I had a foreign roommate who I lived with last year who left me his pressure cooker which has his name engraved on it. So I dispute your argument.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

The challenge in turning black powder or smokeless powder into an explosive device is containing it so that enough pressure can build to get the container to explode. Igniting it in a timely fashion is a whole other challenge.

Super edit: I just realized I wrote detailed instructions on how to make one which is prolly not cool.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

I local radio show's host is long-time friends w/ CBS' chief investigative reporter (former FBI guy) and was talking about this AQ magazine called Inspire and that this exact scenario was mentioned.

"Such improvised devices use readily available materials that cannot be easily traced. Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, in its English-language online magazine Inspire, noted such "ingredients are readily available" and they are "easily disposed of if the enemy searches your home."

There is no evidence that AQAP or any of its supporters was involved in the Boston attack. Nor is it clear whether the attack was the work of one or more individuals. But AQAP has championed 'do-it-yourself terrorism' in the last three years, urging Muslims in the West to take action on their own."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston ... ?hpt=hp_t1
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

hideouse
Sarge

Post by hideouse »

black powder is "low" explosive- burns rather than explodes. A container allows pressure to build up to levels that accelerate the shrapnel to dangerous levels. Similar to paper wrappers for fire crackers.
...Chub Rock with the mad chins...

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

The fact that these dickheads made bombs out of stuff you can buy at WAL MART, and the relative simplicity of construction backs up something I've been saying for years:

Any dickhead out there can kill lots of people with just about anything.

Will liberals call for a ban on pressure cookers and ball bearings now? Do you have "Assault Cookware" in your kitchen and if so, have you neglected to register it?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:Will liberals call for a ban on pressure cookers and ball bearings now? Do you have "Assault Cookware" in your kitchen and if so, have you neglected to register it?
No they won't, and the reason they won't is because that argument is stupid. No one is calling to ban cars, even though there's plenty of incidents of people using cars to run down a crowd.

The moment they started making a bomb out of whatever, they were breaking the law. You can't make a homemade machine gun or MANPAD either.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

nafod wrote:No one is calling to ban cars, even though there's plenty of incidents of people using cars to run down a crowd.
Soon...

kreator

Post by kreator »

nafod wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:Will liberals call for a ban on pressure cookers and ball bearings now? Do you have "Assault Cookware" in your kitchen and if so, have you neglected to register it?
No they won't, and the reason they won't is because that argument is stupid. No one is calling to ban cars, even though there's plenty of incidents of people using cars to run down a crowd.

The moment they started making a bomb out of whatever, they were breaking the law. You can't make a homemade machine gun or MANPAD either.
No but I can guarantee the TSA inspectors' manual just got updated with some new objects to look for and throw in the trash.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

kreator wrote:
nafod wrote:

No but I can guarantee the TSA inspectors' manual just got updated with some new objects to look for and throw in the trash.
Hehe...

"First they came for 'assault rifles,' and nafod said 'Meh.'

Then they came for extended magazines, and nafod said 'Whatever.'

And then Dr. Ag said 'Next thing you know they'll take away your pressure cookers, juicers, and rice steamers...' and nafod said 'That's a stupid argument; tons of folks run down people in their cars and they're not taking people's cars away!'

...and a little later on, nafod found himself walking 10 miles to get a good bowl of chili."

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:
kreator wrote:
nafod wrote:

Hehe...

To be exact, I said "good".
Don’t believe everything you think.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

nafod wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:
kreator wrote:
nafod wrote:

Hehe...

To be exact, I said "good".
Party pooper.

Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

That would be "cold" chili because the pressure cooker got taken away.