Fun and Games - Duane Swierczynski

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Fun and Games - Duane Swierczynski

Post by newguy »

Picked it up for the kindle after a positive review on bookgasm.

Great book.

Basic plot - a down on his luck ex-cop is housesitting in Hollywood and gets caught up with a down on her luck actress whom some people are trying to kill.

Over-the-top, frentic and frantic pacing that just never lets up. Completely and utterly unbelievable but the author writes it so well that it works. Like a crazy good action movie.

Loved it, cannot wait for the next (this is part one of a trilogy) and going to pick up some more of this guys stuff.

Yogalete

Re: Fun and Games - Duane Swierczynski

Post by Yogalete »

I liked his first book a good bit. The Wheelman. The he did a graphic novel, which I skipped. Plan to read this one.
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I've been looking for something like this. Sounds like perfect vacation reading.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete »

"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I read Fun and Games along with Hell and Gone in 2011. Then I had to wait two years for Point and Shoot which finishes the Charlie Hardie trilogy.

I don't know what to call the genre beyond a hard boiled, more crazy unbelievable action than you can keep up with, very offbeat thriller. The bottom line is that I really liked the Charlie Hardie character and the never ending implausible events that overwhelm his life. I'm pissed that I had to wait two years to see the loose ends mostly tied up but it was worth the wait. I wish there were more coming.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party