The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

milosz

Re: The couch thread

Post by milosz »

Friend who's never done anything but yoga and running is doing a Crossfit boot camp. Boot camp/cardio bunnies look to be 99% of the CF clientele in the DF-dub, I don't know if they even pretend to care about strength around here.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

CrapSammich wrote:<sigh> Manorexia, Achilles tears, and shoulder injuries oughta wipe out the bounty scandal memories.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... high-.html
NOLA.com wrote:For those who figured Sean Payton would make the most of his season-long suspension by coming up with several new innovative wrinkles to bring back to the New Orleans Saints, it's already begun. In the weight room.

The high-intensity CrossFit workouts that helped Payton get into the best physical shape of his life have inspired a new approach to the Saints' offseason workout program.

The Saints' new workouts now include both the rapid series of various high-intensity workouts, but also the spirit of competition that CrossFit promotes.

. . .

A "circuit" might include a series of 300 rows on the row machine, then getting up and doing 10 squats, then 10 cleans, then a set of box jumps, then exercises with a heavy rope, then a 300-yard sprint.

"It's crazy," cornerback Jabari Greer said. "And it was tough at first."

But if the players needed any extra motivation to fight through it, all they had to do was feed off Payton's energy - and his own physical transformation.

"Obviously if you see him, he's cut. He's ripped up now, man," Greer said. "I mean, it's changed his life."

. . .
Do not see this as a good thing for Da Saintz...
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

^^ Maybe Kirk Ferenz at Iowa can drop him a line about how an ass load of his football players got f'd up on some @ft workouts. I guess the proof will be in the pudin' if Saint do @ft. My guess will be @ft in the offseason some one gets hurt and they put the kibosh on it. But you never hear about it. The Saints will have a good year and @ft will crow about how the Saints did @ft and look where it got them.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

powerlifter54 wrote:Do not see this as a good thing for Da Saintz...
Seem to recall 2 years ago? the morons over at @Fit getting themselves all worked into a Polk Street lather when then Florida Marlins S&C Coach basically said he was gonna run through the players through an @Fit program in place of their other S&C programs. It was gonna be a "see how fit these guys are in August kinda schtick" and the rank-and-file @Fitter ate that shit up.

The Marlins were so fit in August that year, they were 30 games out of 1st place and the owner sold off all the good players.
Last edited by Yes I Have Balls on Mon May 20, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Crossfit for American football is fucking stupid at the high school level. At the pro level it's damn near criminal.

Crossfit football's WODS are at least applicable to the game

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:
Seem to recall 2 years ago? the morons over at @Fit getting themselves all worked into a Polk Street lather when then Florida Marlins S&C Coach basically said he was gonna run through the players through an @Fit program in place of their other S&C programs. It was gonna be a "see how fit these guys are in August kinda schtick" and the rank-and-file @Fitter ate that shit up.

The Marlins so fit in August that year, they were 30 games out of 1st place and the owner sold off all the good players.
To be fair, the Marlins did that after both World Series wins, so it's nothing new for them to hold a fire sale for their talent.

Who was that football player who was doing @f going into last season, or maybe the season before, who was injured off and on the whole season?

Or did I make that up?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Yes I Have Balls

baffled wrote:
Yes I Have Balls wrote:

The Marlins so fit in August that year, they were 30 games out of 1st place and the owner sold off all the good players.
To be fair, the Marlins did that after both World Series wins, so it's nothing new for them to hold a fire sale for their talent.

Who was that football player who was doing @f going into last season, or maybe the season before, who was injured off and on the whole season?

Or did I make that up?
True. The Marlins didn't have a shiny new $500B stadium to fill after those World Series wins either. And you're thinking of Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno. He claimed that the 20 lbs he lost would help him 'explode to the hole' faster.

Sounds more like a camping trip with Shape than football.

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

As a 49ers fan, good news about the Saints.

Box jumps are the best thing you can do if you are a 325# lineman. Builds character.

rjudo
Gunny

Post by rjudo »

Gary John wrote:As a 49ers fan, good news about the Saints.

Box jumps are the best thing you can do if you are a 325# lineman. Builds character.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
food is medicine. that's why i'm drinking dr. pepper.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:
baffled wrote:
Yes I Have Balls wrote:

Or did I make that up?
True. The Marlins didn't have a shiny new $500B stadium to fill after those World Series wins either. And you're thinking of Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno. He claimed that the 20 lbs he lost would help him 'explode to the hole' faster.

Sounds more like a camping trip with Shape than football.
That's right. Lauria basically took two massive dumps on south Florida. This third time, he tried to light a fart and instead sprayed diarrhea on all of Miami.

You would think these S&C coaches would learn after watching all the injuries.

Everyone loves @f when they start, then they burn out, get hurt, and wreck at least one marriage.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

milosz

Post by milosz »

Has Crossfit gotten to anyone in the MMA world? A name UFC fighter 'doing Crossfit' would be a big get for them.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

milosz wrote:Has Crossfit gotten to anyone in the MMA world? A name UFC fighter 'doing Crossfit' would be a big get for them.
BJ Penn in the early 2000's.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

HS football coach mentioned to me new s+c coach is incorporating @fit into summer program.

Not what i need right now but will go have to visit the guy then watch his programs. My son needs to get bigger and stronger and has no need for bizzaro world sweat angel BS.

When you have skin in the game it gets real.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks »

powerlifter54 wrote:HS football coach mentioned to me new s+c coach is incorporating @fit into summer program.

Not what i need right now but will go have to visit the guy then watch his programs. My son needs to get bigger and stronger and has no need for bizzaro world sweat angel BS.

When you have skin in the game it gets real.
I think I posted this before, but it bears reiterating now: My son had to pass a 'CrossFit Fitness test" to be on the track team this year. He's qualified for and medaled at Counties and Districts in the long Jump, but I guess his ability to do burpees, box jumps, and a shuttle run determine how well he'll do better than his performance in his sport. He more than passed it, without any training at all (I wish he would try a little bit in the off season, just a little). He walked away and told me that there's no way any of the offensive lineman will be allowed to play with that test.

Also, I dropped off some graduation paperwork for him and saw the local CF owner in the office talking to the AD. The AD is an RKC and CSCS with a background in undermining his coaches. Apparently there is a non-profit CF at the High School and it wants to run a competition.

This kid: http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_22754918/k ... -wrestling goes to the high school and lives down the road from me. The wrestling team doesn't do the CrossFit thing.

Yes I Have Balls

I dig big chicks wrote:I think I posted this before, but it bears reiterating now: My son had to pass a 'CrossFit Fitness test" to be on the track team this year. He's qualified for and medaled at Counties and Districts in the long Jump, but I guess his ability to do burpees, box jumps, and a shuttle run determine how well he'll do better than his performance in his sport. He more than passed it, without any training at all (I wish he would try a little bit in the off season, just a little). He walked away and told me that there's no way any of the offensive lineman will be allowed to play with that test.

Also, I dropped off some graduation paperwork for him and saw the local CF owner in the office talking to the AD. The AD is an RKC and CSCS with a background in undermining his coaches. Apparently there is a non-profit CF at the High School and it wants to run a competition.

This kid: http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_22754918/k ... -wrestling goes to the high school and lives down the road from me. The wrestling team doesn't do the CrossFit thing.
With all due respect to your son and this fine wrestler's abilities in their sports, how in the world will they know how great they can be without a Fight Gone Bad number? Seriously.

big_t2100
Corporal

Post by big_t2100 »

In case you are interested......Anybody know Ryan Fisher? LOL.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=god_wfQeZuI[/youtube]

"Yesterday this guy told a judge, 'I will f&#king kill you.' I will not tolerate that shit here. " -Dave Castro

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

I hate @fit as much as the next guy, but that was fucking hilarious.

Called him on his shit and made him apologize, and the dude instantly turned into a timid little boy.

Props for the whole "you're assigned to this guy for the rest of the time and if he gives you any lip he's down" line.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

=D>

I grudgingly admire Castro. He's a fixer. You tell the motherfucker that he's in charge of something and shit gets done, whether it's dry fucking a DL for 45 seconds, travelling cross country to excommunicate someone, or overseeing logistics for the Gaymes. This was just funny. You wanna fuck with volunteer judges, you get bitched on camera and then have a professional MMA fighter judge you the rest of the time.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Ryan Fischer is mostly pissed off about the fact that he's 5'5"...

Crossfit bullshit is starting to infect the local schools here. The private schools are ate up with it, and you see it making inroads in the public schools too. It's getting a lot of traction within girls softball (this is a hotbed around here), and I've already heard stories along the lines of "Yeah, Hillary hurt her back doing some sort of new weight lifting program at school."

Yes I Have Balls

Flipping through the TV last night and the local Comcast Bay Area had a 1/2 hour show about a guy and a group of people doing "Fran" in what looked like a backyard gym. The show didn't mention @fit, the advertising wasn't @fit, no one even said @fit and yet the workout as called Fran and the graphic labeled it as such.

Dale, what say you?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I agree with Gin Master...Castro does seem to be the most competent motherfucker involved in XF

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Who's that hipster douchebag that competes in the cutoff jean shorts that threw a barbell at a female judge a couple of years ago? I still want to beat his ass.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

It's not that difficult a role to play when you're in charge. His behavior at that Paleo thing where he lost his shit was more illuminating.
Last edited by Grandpa's Spells on Wed May 22, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Who's that hipster douchebag that competes in the cutoff jean shorts that threw a barbell at a female judge a couple of years ago? I still want to beat his ass.
Ronnie Teasdale... classy gentleman

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

What a fucking pussy. Castro should have armlocked his shit up like he did Greg Everett's and then throat chopped him for being a goddamn asshole dipshit.

I've seen big name PLs attempt to cow judges with threats...at a DBB meet a few years ago, a big name told his judge that his squat better pass or he's going to answer to Louie, which made it even more of a bitch move. The judge said "Louie ain't here, Louie ain't judging. Do you need to review the rules for squatting again so it's clear?"