Django Unchained

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Django Unchained

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:Pulp Fiction was good and, for the time, different. I enjoyed Kill Bill for what it was: schlock. Most of his other movies have deeply unimpressed me. Inglorius Basterds felt like an SNL skit parodying Tarantino movies, or perhaps a short film that some comedians put together for his Friar's Roast night, except that it was too goddamn long.
The thing about Inglorious Basterds is, despite some serious weak spots, Christoph Waltz is one of the all time great villains in it.

Before Pulp Fiction, Vinny Barbarino's careeer was OVAH...There's no denying that Tarantino casts well and coaxes some really solid performances out of people.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I didn't see that coming...

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:Pulp Fiction was good and, for the time, different. I enjoyed Kill Bill for what it was: schlock. Most of his other movies have deeply unimpressed me. Inglorius Basterds felt like an SNL skit parodying Tarantino movies, or perhaps a short film that some comedians put together for his Friar's Roast night, except that it was too goddamn long.
The thing about Inglorious Basterds is, despite some serious weak spots, Christoph Waltz is one of the all time great villains in it.

Before Pulp Fiction, Vinny Barbarino's careeer was OVAH...There's no denying that Tarantino casts well and coaxes some really solid performances out of people.
That's a good point. Most folks are either too old to care, or too young to remember that Travolta was making those god awful talking baby movies before Tarantino cast him in that role. It quite literally snatched him off of the Hollywood dung heap.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

And gave a nice career boost to Dick Dale!
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Loved it.....like A LOT. Can't wait for the blu-ray extras/commentary.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

The wife and I caught it on Saturday. Thought it was awesome as well. DeCaprio was every bit the nasty devil that Waltz was in Inglourious Basterds.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:I can't conceive of this offering being worth watching sober on big screen.
But....blood!!!!!

Tarantino is stupid these days.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

DiCaprio was great, but not as Candie. He was playing Tarantino-- an insecure teenage kid who was trying to impress the adults most of the movie, punctuated with scenes of exaggerated and over-dramatic violence. In a superior movie in the hands of a superior director (i.e. Gangs of New York), he wasn't overshadowed by an incredible performance by Daniel Day Lewis to the degree he was by a solid performance by Samuel L Jackson in Django. Poor writing and direction can't be overcome by even the great Leonardo, that is clearly.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

msr2112
Staff Sergeant

Post by msr2112 »

I finally got to see this over the weekend. My opinion of Tarantino has been that he is an incredibly talented director who has thus far foregone real emotion in favor of being really "cool". It's annoyed me for quite a while now.
Having said that, I liked this movie quite a bit and thought that there was some pretty dark stuff that went a little deeper than he has in the past.
His "performance" however was awful and completely took me out of the movie. No excuse for that there. First: just seeing him was distracting. Second: knowing his voice it was really distracting hearing him use that accent. Third: It looks like he's put on 40 pounds since the "Dusk Till Dawn" days.

Just for discussion his movies in my order of preference:
1. Pulp Fiction
2. Resevoir Dogs
3. Django Unchained
4. Jackie Brown
5. Inglorious Basterds
6. Kill Bill 1
7. Kill Bill 2
A very distant 8: Death Proof
Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift this heavy-ass weight!! -Ronnie Coleman

milosz

Post by milosz »

1. Jackie Brown
2. Kill Bill 1
3. Death Proof
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Inglorious Basterds
7. Django
8. Kill Bill 2

IB and Django would both move up with tighter editing - you could lop 45 minutes off of either and only miss out on a bit of self-indulgence.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Ah,but don`t forget Salma Hayek in "from dusk til dawn"! Epic!
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

msr2112
Staff Sergeant

Post by msr2112 »

milosz wrote:1. Jackie Brown
2. Kill Bill 1
3. Death Proof
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Inglorious Basterds
7. Django
8. Kill Bill 2

IB and Django would both move up with tighter editing - you could lop 45 minutes off of either and only miss out on a bit of self-indulgence.
You could definitely take some out of both, but Death Proof number 3? That "movie" would be an embarassment for even a freshman film student.
Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift this heavy-ass weight!! -Ronnie Coleman

msr2112
Staff Sergeant

Post by msr2112 »

Bobby wrote:Ah,but don`t forget Salma Hayek in "from dusk til dawn"! Epic!
That is a pretty epic scene, but QT didn't direct that one. He just acted in it. Robert Rodriguez directed it.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Turdacious wrote:DiCaprio was great, but not as Candie. He was playing Tarantino-- an insecure teenage kid who was trying to impress the adults most of the movie, punctuated with scenes of exaggerated and over-dramatic violence. In a superior movie in the hands of a superior director (i.e. Gangs of New York), he wasn't overshadowed by an incredible performance by Daniel Day Lewis to the degree he was by a solid performance by Samuel L Jackson in Django. Poor writing and direction can't be overcome by even the great Leonardo, that is clearly.
Gangs of New York was a bad movie, with the only good thing being Daniel Day Lewis.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

milosz

Post by milosz »

I loved Death Proof - fits in well with Tarantino's post-Jackie Brown re-imagining of genre films style and it's probably the truest in heart to the genre (Two-Lane Blacktop/Vanishing Point b-movies) it's patterned after. He couldn't make it nine hours long, thank god.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Gangs of New York is one of my favorite movies, Bram!
Last edited by Mickey O'neil on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Mickey O'neil wrote:Gangs of New York is one of my favorite movies, Ryan!
oh hell no

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Bram wrote:
oh hell no
Ooops, sorry, Bram.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Mickey O'neil wrote:
Bram wrote:
oh hell no
Ooops, sorry, Bram.
I'm horrible at being malicious on the internet, haha, sorry to be a hater, not in my nature.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I liked it a lot. Some of the stuff was disturbing but overall I really enjoyed it.