Improve your brain health?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Improve your brain health?

Post by Bram »

http://www.howlifeworks.com/Article.asp ... si_id=1087

From the link:

"In randomized, controlled clinical trials, Lumosity was shown to significantly improve basic cognitive functions. One study showed students improved their scores on math tests by 34 percent after using Lumosity for six weeks, significantly greater gains than those made by other students in the same class, who were not training with the Lumosity program.

"The company says its users have reported clearer and quicker thinking, improved memory for names, numbers, directions, increased alertness and awareness, elevated mood, and better concentration at work or while driving.

"While many of the games at Lumosity are free, a modest subscription fee is required to use the full program over the long term.

"However, Lumosity is currently offering a free trial of their program to new users so that you can see how well it works before you decide to subscribe. The trial is completely free (no credit card required) and the company believes the results will speak for themselves."

and the free trial program:

http://www.lumosity.com/landing_pages/349
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Improve your brain health?

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I have been meaning to check that site out for a while now. Thanks for the reminer, Bram.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I use it semi-regularly. I find it helps quite a bit when I'm consistent.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/doe ... ning-work/
Another way to look at all this is that the very concept of “brain-training” is probably flawed. It is useful as a marketing slogan, but does not seem to be based in reality. “Brain-training” is just a fancy term for good old-fashioned learning, but is meant to invoke an image of cutting edge neuroscience and brain plasticity which is not supported by evidence. It’s just learning.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

syaigh wrote:I use it semi-regularly. I find it helps quite a bit when I'm consistent.
What do you feel it helps with?

No problem, Mickey. I've never heard of this before.

Thanks for the link, Damien. I'll look at it more in depth later, just scanned it.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 »

I think it is possible that the arguments for or against games like lumosity may be missing the mark a bit. Imo games like this are not about getting good at picking what color is next in the pattern or becoming better at arithmetic though these areas may improve. I think there is value in the concentration of the mind. The old methods of concentration include things like, staring at a kasina bowel or a candleflame, listening to the silence between sounds, staring at the intersection of light and shadow, staying focused on the breath at the point just below the nostrils and so on. With so much information and distraction at hand in the internet era I think games like lumosity may be very beneficial and may be sort of a next generation method of developing concentration skills.

The games target different things such as word building, arithmetic, simple problem solving, memory etc. I would venture a guess that these games may help develop slight nuances in concentration that staring at a dot on the wall may not develop. Additionally different areas of the brain may be worked that don't get a workout in a person's daily life (a person who trades stocks from home (alone) all day may not use verbal skills as much as a salesperson and therefore the verbal games may be beneficial to light up those areas of the mind regularly).

One way to look at it is: Attention leads to concentration leads to meditation leads to absorption. Another area that may be relevant is the Samatha Jhanas. These are the stages that the mind goes through as it becomes more and more concentrated. I have been doing the lumosity exercises and my experience is that I get into a concentration state where I am relaxed, my body and head feel kind of soft and fuzzy and I get focused to a state where I am not bothered by distracting noises etc. One complaint I have about the games is that each game is rather short and I would like the option to do prolonged sessions on a single game to see what happens to my mind.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Bedlam, did you pay for the program or are you just doing the free trial?

Always good to read your posts!

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 »

Thanks Bram! I bought the yearly membership at about $60. It automatically renews...If this stuff doesn't work I won't remember to cancel. :rolleyes:

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Bram wrote:
syaigh wrote:I use it semi-regularly. I find it helps quite a bit when I'm consistent.
What do you feel it helps with?

No problem, Mickey. I've never heard of this before.

Thanks for the link, Damien. I'll look at it more in depth later, just scanned it.
Concentration and memory. I am a major multi-tasker and I find it helps me stay on track, stay focused, and work productively for longer periods of time.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

hah I should hope you remember :happiness: , 60$ seems okay, maybe if I do a trial run I'll invest in it.

syaigh, I'm a major multi-tasker too, lately I've noticed an increase in my concentration but I think that's just because I'm motivated to make some money -- I'm surprised how long I can go without eating (which sucks) or much sleeping (which also sucks) while still taking care of stuff due to the motivation. Appreciate the response.