iOS 7

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

iOS 7

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I like the changes, but I want my battery back.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Re: iOS 7

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Doesn't work with corporate email and they're working on a fix. Ooops.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

It's terrible and I refuse to upgrade to it.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

Upgraded my ipad and really kicking myself for doing it because I'm not liking ios 7 at all.

Battery life sucks now.

Can't view embedded YouTube vids.

Icons look fucking lame.

Too much white. iMessage harder to read.

You can only swipe delete songs off iTunes that were purchases directly on to the device.

Then there's the stupid little changes they made that make no sense at all like:

Deleting shit like emails and songs, you swipe right to left now instead of left to right.

Closing down apps running in the background, you double click the home button and then then apps appear two at a time, which you have to swipe upwards to close. On the old IS, it would show 4 at a time. Hold down the button and they'd be ready to close. Not sure why they made this change.

Will not upgrade to ios 7 on my phone.

Topic author
The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

I actually like it.
I turned the brightness way down and it helped with the battery. It's a little tough to see in bright sunlight, but otherwise fine.

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

Are you able to view embedded YouTube clips.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Croatoa wrote:Will not upgrade to ios 7 on my phone.
That's not going to be an option before too long. Your apps will only be supporting 7. The Borg demands that you assimilate.

It's...different. A shit load of white. As in blizzard amount of white. The icon color palate is a little underwhelming. I like a lot of it, like the ability to do a contact search by faces rather than names, the method of closing open apps and a few other tricks I've discovered. I think I've barely scratched the surface-there are a million little upgrades and I need to read up.

I expect we'll all get used it it eventually.

Ultimately though our opinion doesn't matter. If you're using an Apple product, you'll be running 7.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I don't mind it...loaded it on an extra iPhone 4 and my 'new iPad'. iPad didnt like playing YouTube vids in general on atomic or chrome, slightly better on safari. I need to make up my mind what browser I want to use though.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I wouldn't have selected the colours out of a lineup but overall like it, especially iTunes Radio.

Like GBM, I needed to turn the brightness down and found it helped preserve battery.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Interesting conversation with the engineers at work today. IOS 7 is optimized for the iPhone 5S and its longer screen. Meaning if you have an "ancient" 4S like me, you'll notice that on texts you can't see the whole message if it's a long one-you'll need to scroll. There are going to be other visual and performance things like this along the way-minor annoyances.

Not a major deal, but the net is that those on a 5 will like it better than those on older phones.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

I just heard that the battery killer is not the brightness, but that apps stay open when you click out of them, similar to having multiple tabs while surfing the net on a computer. You have to double click the button, swipe to the side to acces all the open apps, and close them individually.

So basically you have to close apps twice via multiple steps. Great fucking idea

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Herv100 wrote:I just heard that the battery killer is not the brightness, but that apps stay open when you click out of them, similar to having multiple tabs while surfing the net on a computer. You have to double click the button, swipe to the side to acces all the open apps, and close them individually.

So basically you have to close apps twice via multiple steps. Great fucking idea
Closing apps is much faster in iOS 7. It's one of the few things where I think there's a legit time saver.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Yeah, the app closing is faster and more intuitive...however, there is an impact on the battery of my 4s. My iPad is ok.

Topic author
The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

The need to close apps was always an issue.
I haven't had trouble with embedded videos.
The biggest issue I have right now is that when playing music on my phone, I see all the music I have in the cloud, not just what's on the phone. I keep everything on my iPad and on an iPod, just a few songs on the phone so I don't waste memory that way. It makes my playlist cluttered.
As far as performance, no real problems. Battery life is less of an issue now, too.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

I love all of you first-adopters. You find all of the bugs, bitch about them, cause fixes, and allow me to upgrade at an appropriately removed time with little to no consequence. Thanks for being sheeple. :finga:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:The need to close apps was always an issue.
I haven't had trouble with embedded videos.
The biggest issue I have right now is that when playing music on my phone, I see all the music I have in the cloud, not just what's on the phone. I keep everything on my iPad and on an iPod, just a few songs on the phone so I don't waste memory that way. It makes my playlist cluttered.
As far as performance, no real problems. Battery life is less of an issue now, too.
Go to settings -> Music -> turn off the "show all music" function

Topic author
The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

That's more like it. Thank you.