The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Re: The couch thread

Post by Master_Blaster »

OCG wrote:As a disinterested observer, the largest problem I see with American Weightlifting is that even at the highest levels, it seems to be populated with people who think that a 550 pound back squat is actually impressive, and not pitifully weak for anyone who wants to compete in any competitions that actually matter (i.e. not any American ones).

Along with this seems to go the absolutely stunning attitude that winning the American Nationals is impressive, a not a terrible mark of shame that you're slumming it.

Know how I know you're fucking gay? You said BACK SQUAT.
Those Shoreline idiots read IGX like the Satanic Bible

-Shaf

Jay

Post by Jay »

Turdacious wrote:
Jay wrote:
tzg wrote:
Jay wrote:
syaigh wrote:Funny thing. If weightlifting provided scholarships or a means to make a living (which wasn't the case before muscle driver came on the scene), we'd have a viable men's Olympic team. I see freaks on a regular basis who could outlift most of the guys on our current national team (said woman abuser included) but would rather play football or throw for track and field. Shame really.
it isn't a shame, its called playing a sport that can potentially make them money (or get them a scholarship) over lifting weights..

The problem with weightlifting in America is its essentially a training day as a meet, its fucking boring as a sport. All lifting really is. We like it, but the vast majority of people are never going to give a shit about it.
You could say the same around a bunch of field events, too. But they have scholarships for shotputters and discus throwers and they do okay.
Exactly, that's the thing... scholarships. Not many people want to play a sport with almost nothing as a return
You'd need high schools with programs to make it work.
know what would happen then? FB coaches would swoop those kids up fast.

its never going to be a sport that makes a mark internationally, at least not in most of our lifetimes.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Master_Blaster wrote:
OCG wrote:As a disinterested observer, the largest problem I see with American Weightlifting is that even at the highest levels, it seems to be populated with people who think that a 550 pound back squat is actually impressive, and not pitifully weak for anyone who wants to compete in any competitions that actually matter (i.e. not any American ones).

Along with this seems to go the absolutely stunning attitude that winning the American Nationals is impressive, a not a terrible mark of shame that you're slumming it.

Wow. You're hard core, bro.

Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

lasalle wrote:
Master_Blaster wrote:

Wow. You're hard core, bro.

It's 'Brah'

-Shaf

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks »

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:Yeah, it was Rudy TEH OUTLAW!!! IIRC it was his wife that he hit, and he ditched her for the muscly negress, who he then ditched in Iceland.
No, he ditched Fortunato in Iceland.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

So, Pendlay, who used to post regularly here, actually, is at the nexus of some serious douchbaggery.

OCG
Sarge

Post by OCG »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:So, Pendlay, who used to post regularly here, actually, is at the nexus of some serious douchbaggery.
This anything to do with him somehow being "head coach" for "Team USA" at the Worlds?

And Jesus Titfucking Christ Steve, when are you going to learn to not drop bombs like that and leave us hanging?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Fuck.

Pendlay and North...
Pendlay and Rudy the OwtlawLs
Pendlay and Shankle

I don't know what kind of guy Glen is, all my interactions with him have been good, and I think the vid set he has on the Drapers site is top notch.

But he seems to be surrounded by people with serious interpersonal issues

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Pay fucking attention and draw the lines

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Any future success in American weightlifting can be found in TEH BBC GENETICZ, BRAH.

But, they're all playing Div 1 ball, or in the NFL/MLB.

At any rate, the sport will not be championed by neurotic muscle nerds, or white trash assholes who think the Kenny Powers look is cool.

Behold...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8xpYx2lM4g[/youtube]

Three White Lights
Sarge

Post by Three White Lights »

syaigh wrote:Funny thing. If weightlifting provided scholarships or a means to make a living (which wasn't the case before muscle driver came on the scene), we'd have a viable men's Olympic team. I see freaks on a regular basis who could outlift most of the guys on our current national team (said woman abuser included) but would rather play football or throw for track and field. Shame really.
This. Picked up weightlifting after swimming for 15 years. Didn't even know it was a sport until I was a sophomore in college. Though I have good coordination, flexibility and speed, developing serious strength is a decade+ long project. By the time I "retired" I was doing 145/175 at 77kg. That's around 80% of the WRs for my weight class. I knew exactly what I would need to do to take it to the next level: get my squat over 600, double my training volume and get on a nice long test/var cycle. Trouble is, I'm 27, just finished law school and am running a start up. That's where most of us find ourselves right when we're getting good. We know what we need to do, but there is absolutely zero incentive to do it.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:So, Pendlay, who used to post regularly here, actually, is at the nexus of some serious douchbaggery.
Glenn is a good dude. A poor judge of character, maybe. A notorious internet troll when intoxicated, absolutely. But a good dude nonetheless. He started the first truly professional weightlifting team in this country since York Barbell. No matter what else, that shit is fucking solid.

The guys all get a stipend ranging from $400-1500/month. Most of them coach classes at local @F gyms and the better ones assist Glenn at seminars. Tatum and Cooper are both on USAW stipends as well.
I don't know who you're hanging out with or referencing, so I'll just assume you're an officious prick who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I have this principle I apply to myself and others. The people that represent you, represent you. If you condone their behavior, you condone their behavior. If you continue to associate with a person who behaves badly (and that's an understatement) while representing you in public, you must not think there's much wrong with it. Or you have more to gain by pretending it didn't happen. Its a problem. And its not okay.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Pendlay and Shankle
What's the deal with Shankle? I honestly know nothing about him except that he looks like a Civil War artilleryman.

Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:
What's the deal with Shankle? I honestly know nothing about him except that he looks like a Civil War artilleryman.

He's a Jesus loving alcoholic.

-Shaf

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Master_Blaster wrote:

He's a Jesus loving alcoholic.
Yeah, OK, so? I've met about 100 of those; none of them get put in the same category as wife-slappers, unless there's something else going on.

OCG
Sarge

Post by OCG »

Three White Lights wrote:I don't know who you're hanging out with or referencing, so I'll just assume you're an officious prick who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. The best of Glenn's team squats what? 600? 650 maybe? I'm sure you know intimately. And the rest far, far less than that when everyone needs to be squatting at least 100lbs more than that.
Got kicked off the team for being a drunken dick. Multiple times. The details are around here somewhere.

Here actually:

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223086
syaigh wrote:I have this principle I apply to myself and others. The people that represent you, represent you. If you condone their behavior, you condone their behavior. If you continue to associate with a person who behaves badly (and that's an understatement) while representing you in public, you must not think there's much wrong with it. Or you have more to gain by pretending it didn't happen. Its a problem. And its not okay.
Posting under multiple accounts and pretending you're someone completely different that somehow mysteriously knows everything about US Weightlifting and everything that goes on with Glenn's team and doing shit like asking questions with a different name then answering them with your real name to get e-famous does not speak to large amounts of integrity.

Integrity is what you do when no one else is watching. If you only kick puppies when no one else is around, you're still a dick.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Fuck.

Pendlay and North...
Pendlay and Rudy the OwtlawLs
Pendlay and Shankle

I don't know what kind of guy Glen is, all my interactions with him have been good, and I think the vid set he has on the Drapers site is top notch.

But he seems to be surrounded by people with serious interpersonal issues

Same here. Had a couple long talks with him, came across as genuine..yet, seems to automagically attract a number of shitheels. Tell ya one thing, I'm not paying for single piece of another Muscle Driver equip.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

This is getting odd.

If Pendlay is providing stipends, then maybe he ought to be thinking about a code of conduct. Despite all evidence to the contrary, it's not hard to keep it classy, and it speaks volumes about your intent to rescusitate American weight lifting

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Serious business.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SogSncjCy_k[/youtube]

Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

I will never understand the need for @fitters to slam the fucking bar down. Why? There was a broad at the gym two days ago throwing 95lbs on the ground after her cleans. I stopped her and and told her 'You realize there are guys who can deadlift 800+ pounds and set the bar down light as a gawdamn feather right?"

She gave me the dick look of course. What do I know...modal domains and all that.

-Shaf

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I have ranted at length about the judging in USAPL and USA cycling but, if you pulled this sort of tantrum at one of those events, you'd be right out on your ass. Done for the event.

Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Serious business.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SogSncjCy_k[/youtube]

This fucking guy.........

-Shaf

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Attitude Nation...

snerk.

OCG
Sarge

Post by OCG »

Eliko competition bars cost more than a fucking grand each. Not to mention the bumpers. Asking lifters to not spike the bar is perfectly reasonable, especially if you've only got 80kg on the bar.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

He may snatch 500# someday, but he's going to always have that funny looking dork face.

I think this is the source of the 'tude.