The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Post by Renegade Doughboy »

Ross Hunt wrote:RD,

How many snatches/ jerks can you do with 32 kg?
More than you.

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Shaf wrote:Rif's walked the walk, Doughboy. He's put it on the platform, like he said, for three decades. If, in his experience, kbs and Pavel's offerings have merit, that says a lot.

Rif was also a Chek groupie, though, which slides the balance sheet back the other direction.

Here's a little reality check for you: The hardcore "Outlaw" powerlifter types think Rif's the real deal. Why? Because they know him. And these guys have no problems with Rif's kettlebell adventures.
And none of that changes the fact that he acts like a goddam fool over at DD, creaming all over the latest lame RKC product at every opportunity.

There comes a point where acting like that takes away credibility. How can one be so over the top like that and still be the real deal? I'm not saying he isn't the real deal, just that he sure as fuck doesn't act like one.

The same logic applies to Pavel(tm). John DuCane has made him a complete joke. It is impossible to seriously defend him anymore unless you resort to things like secret workouts that occurred after the seminar. He also takes Steve Freides seriously. That for me is the deal breaker.

In any case, Rif acts like a giggling school girl over at DD, dribbling piss into his panties in fits of excitement at David Whitley the Gladiator's latest "article", or other such silliness. Real Deal? I beg to differ.

RDB

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

coach szczepan wrote:DB, you are out of your league on this one. Go back to baiting Jeek or Tyler.
Out of my league? You mean it's too easy? I'll give you that.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Rif wrote:Dougbboy,

I dont do two kb jerks for the same reason I dont do any 2 handed kb lifts of any kind very much. they hurt my back. I dont do any lifts anymore that I dont think agree with my joints. I'm training now to get better not more broke down.

Thats why I'm not doing high rep anything anymore except for swings.Too much risk and not enough reward.I'm retired from competition.Hated doing 28+28 at the cert as well.

The fact that I am back to pressing the two pood for two reps and consider it great is that I tore some bicep fascia four months ago trying to do repetition snatches with the two pood.I wasnt sure I would press anything again.
I'm also down 25 pounds from where I was last year. that affected strength as well.Arent you trying to lose some weight too?

Its certainly not my all time pr or great in any absolute sense but it shows me my trend and thats whats important.I'm getting stronger than I was and thats all that matters to me these days.

But when is your next comp? I cant wait to see how many jerks you can do.
To Rif's credit, both he and Nate M. at DD both answered posts by me last year about rehabbing my damaged shoulder. At my age, I can more than emphasize with Rif on KB's & Pavel getting me back in training. It's almost embarrassing to post my workout weights, when at one time, was doing reps in BP with 285 and squatted 450 parallel years ago. Injuries and freakin arthritis can make sissies of us all, meaning me, not RIF.

All this RIF ass kissing aside, I'm still picking him to be the next Sr. RKC, whether he really wants it or not.

Rif
Gunny

Post by Rif »

WOF,

Although I dont remember your real name I remember your post and I'm glad I could help. I've been injured since the beginning so as much of my research has been into training around and through injuries as healing them.

Injuries happen whether you push your limits or not and everyone is getting older. things break down no matter how "tough" you are.Thats one of the reasons I love the KB so much,as well as Pavels methods.It lets me still increase my work capacity without so much absolute stress.

I make no excuses for my enthusiasm over at DD.When I feel an article or product is great and can help me, my clients or others I will say it. I dont see how my postive attitude over at DD determines whether or not I am the "real deal". To me a real deal athlete is one who puts it on the line in competition and not only walks his talk but lives it. I have the training logs and competition track record to prove this to myself and thats the only judge that matters to me.

In my mind, a real deal coach and trainer is one who is willing to help all that need it, not just the easy to work with elites.When one of my 65 year old clients breaks a personal best or breaks through a technical sticking point thats as exciting to me as if they benched 400 pounds.

As far as the SR RKC of course I would love that but it isnt up to me. I'm a professional instructor, why wouldnt I want to be recognized that way? Thanks for the support and the vote though.
"it's all easy til it's heavy"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

The next Sr. RKC should go to a real trainer. You're not in this guy's league Rif, sorry.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

cqc10
Gunny

Post by cqc10 »

Rif helped me work out a shoulder problem a long time ago.

I asked a question. He helped. (and he was right in his diagnosis)

I hope he hangs around here some. There are a lot of people on here who have provided helpful information to me, and a lot of those people say things I don't agree with. So what?

Pavel's stuff has helped me out and so has the help of a lot of people on this board. I can appreciate the help even if I don't agree with what else the source may do.

Does Rif like Pavel too much? Maybe so . . . who cares though? Why does that matter to you?

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm »

Rif wrote:my clients
No opinion on Glassman, Dough v. Rif, etc. However, the above is a key concept: Everything a professional PT says is suspect out of the gate, as it is tainted by financial and $$$$$ relationship considerations. Many of us long for the good old days at IG when the intrinsic shame of their vocation caused PTs to lurk only, and be subject to abuse if they were unwise enough to admit their charater flaw.

Think about it: How many smart people over the years have become dumb once they took on 'clients'? Since grey matter cannot disappear as the result of a job change, one must assume duplicity. IMO, PTs are one step below a used car salesman, and exactly equal to strip mall McDojo martial 'artists'.
Last edited by Garm on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Turd Ferguson wrote:The next Sr. RKC should go to a real trainer. You're not in this guy's league Rif, sorry.
LMAO!!!

Shovelglove? Movement with no name? Then he brings up Indian Clubs at the end? Hoisting the sack?

Spitting my coffee funny!
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Rif wrote:WOF,

Although I dont remember your real name I remember your post and I'm glad I could help. I've been injured since the beginning so as much of my research has been into training around and through injuries as healing them.

Injuries happen whether you push your limits or not and everyone is getting older. things break down no matter how "tough" you are.Thats one of the reasons I love the KB so much,as well as Pavels methods.It lets me still increase my work capacity without so much absolute stress.

I make no excuses for my enthusiasm over at DD.When I feel an article or product is great and can help me, my clients or others I will say it. I dont see how my postive attitude over at DD determines whether or not I am the "real deal". To me a real deal athlete is one who puts it on the line in competition and not only walks his talk but lives it. I have the training logs and competition track record to prove this to myself and thats the only judge that matters to me.

In my mind, a real deal coach and trainer is one who is willing to help all that need it, not just the easy to work with elites.When one of my 65 year old clients breaks a personal best or breaks through a technical sticking point thats as exciting to me as if they benched 400 pounds.

As far as the SR RKC of course I would love that but it isnt up to me. I'm a professional instructor, why wouldnt I want to be recognized that way? Thanks for the support and the vote though.
Rif, my handle on DD is trace1124( half my real name). My hat's off to anyone who's a Legit trainer. Training seems like a tough way to make a buck, since it's appears to be over 50% salesmanship, my opin. only. As to KB's, I agree with Eddie(GG) that one can do everything to get and stay in shape with dumbbells. In my case, KB's got my ass back in the gym, by their minimalist approach(equipment-wise), so for that, Pavel and DD get some credit. I don't give a shit about my PR's anymore, just want to be functionally fit, and have the ABS of the GOD.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

[quote="Whosonfirst I don't give a shit about my PR's anymore, just want to be functionally fit, and have the ABS of the GOD.[/quote]

PRs are important, but nothing trumps having the ABS OF A GOD. :-k

"Functionally Fit"? For what???? LOL.

Topic author
bill fox

Post by bill fox »

The true knowledge is spreading.....
"my body stayin' vicious, I be up in the gym, just workin' on my fitness"

Fergie

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Hey Bill,

Once I commandeered this thread the post count really took off.

The master baiter is in the house.

RDB

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Rif,

Beware becoming an SRKC. Much is expected of them and the drop out rate is very high.

RDB

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Renegade Doughboy wrote:Hey Bill,

RDB
But are you a lean warrior these days, Comrade Couch Renegade?

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Napoleon Hill is Back! wrote:
Renegade Doughboy wrote:Hey Bill,

RDB
But are you a lean warrior these days, Comrade Couch Renegade?
Oh yeah. The disinformation about me is one of my greatest assets. I am lean, strong and seriously endurant.

I can indeed out jerk any motherfucker here - Cotter excluded.

And that's with kettlebells, Bill, before you get any ideas.

RDB

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Napoleon Hill is Back! wrote:[quote="Whosonfirst I don't give a shit about my PR's anymore, just want to be functionally fit, and have the ABS of the GOD.
PRs are important, but nothing trumps having the ABS OF A GOD. :-k

"Functionally Fit"? For what???? LOL.[/quote]
Okay NHB, maybe you got me on semantics. I gave up comp. sports back in my late 30's. Softball and karate. Functionally fit means being able to still heft a wooden ext. ladder so I can climb on my roof into my 60's, and 70's, take care of a big lawn, haul 40# bags of dog food into the house, play with my two active grandsons(another on the way) and basically get my ass into my 80's in some kind of decent shape, where I'm not nursing home material. Spent about 5 of the last 7 years visiting in-laws in a NH, and it's a SCARY FUCKIN PLACE. Just shoot me before that happens. Young guys on forum can't relate to this, until you've experienced it first hand.

And I'm still vain enough to think chicks dig the ABS OF THE GOD.

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Whosonfirst wrote:And I'm still vain enough to think chicks dig the ABS OF THE GOD.
Wrong answer, comrade. Chicks dig big arms and pecs. True knowledge.

Bench and curl is the norm for a reason.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Whosonfirst wrote: Functionally fit means being able to still heft a wooden ext. ladder so I can climb on my roof into my 60's, and 70's, take care of a big lawn, haul 40# bags of dog food into the house, play with my two active grandsons(another on the way) and basically get my ass into my 80's in some kind of decent shape, where I'm not nursing home material.
I like your definition.
Disagree with only one part: if you are older than 50 and your roof is so high that you need an extension ladder, stay off the frickin' roof. One fall will cripple/kill you.

Rif
Gunny

Post by Rif »

trace,

Training and coaching people is pretty much the only job I've ever had. Started as a gymnastics coach,moved into private training, bought and ran a World Gym, then back to private training once the mega clubs put us out of business in 1998.It has its downside but I only work 30 or so hours a week and have a nice life in Silicon Valley.

I also agree that you can do anything with a DB that you can with a KB except really swing it. The offset weight makes the difference. To me its way more fun as well.swinging db just doesnt have the same feel and I really enjoy that.

Garm, its true I handle clients differently than I would a powerlifter that wants to go to the Worlds but I tell them the same truths about training. Its up to them how far they want to push..But they are not looking for the same results.

I have coached many different elite athletes and was the Head Coach for the 1995 USAPL Womens World Team and coached my athlete to two third place finishes at the IPF Worlds,as well as Head Coach for the US Team for The IPF Pan AM Games which my athlete won Gold.

RDB now I'm intrigued.Just how many jerks CAN you do or will no one ever really find out?

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Rif wrote:RDB now I'm intrigued.Just how many jerks CAN you do or will no one ever really find out?
Lots.

Rif
Gunny

Post by Rif »

If I could do that many I would be signing up for the next GS comp I could.Gym numbers dont mean shit, ask any real athlete.

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

Rif wrote:
RDB now I'm intrigued.Just how many jerks CAN you do or will no one ever really find out?
Ask him how many Snatches he can do.
?

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Ralph wrote:
Rif wrote:
Ask him how many Snatches he can do.
STFU goddammit.

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Rif wrote:If I could do that many I would be signing up for the next GS comp I could.Gym numbers dont mean shit, ask any real athlete.
Fuck. Pavel pulled 650 or something in training once. Go tell him that doesn't mean anything.

You shan't cajole me into anything. I competed once and my jerks were amazing.