Civilian Warriors

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Civilian Warriors

Post by Bob Wildes »

This book, written by Erik Prince, covers a bit of his early life, but the lion's share
is about the rise and fall of Blackwater U.S.A.

The book makes a very strong case for the benefits of privatization in a number of areas
that don't usually come to mind.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Civilian Warriors

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Like in assraping the US taxpayers?

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Like in assraping the US taxpayers?
Read the book Shaf.

Texas Red
Lance Cpl.

Post by Texas Red »

Bob Wildes wrote:
Read the book Shaf.
I'll check it out, if only to get his perspective, especially since Jeremy Scahill has been skewering Prince for almost a decade. Gouging taxpayers is an important issue, but I'm most worried about the long-term implications of legitimizing private armies; historically, they tend to bode poorly for republican government. Loyalty could also be a problem.

If I remember correctly, Blackwater was "deployed" to New Orleans in the wake of Katrina, charged with subduing rabid locals and keeping the peace. That's all good and well when it's Americans (e.g., Marines), but considering the fact that some of those contractors were South Africans, Israelis, etc., it rubs me the wrong way. There is no circumstance in which the president should police U.S. citizens with armed foreigners.

In the back of my mind, I just have to wonder if the shift towards contractors is an inevitable (though regrettable) step in the evolution of our nation. We abandoned the draft (for good reason), and most Americans are utterly detached from the military and/or war(s) (no rationing, conscription, war taxation, etc.). I'm a rather pessimistic bastard who favors a cyclical view of history, so perhaps we're beginning the steady slide towards tyranny (or ochlocracy). It's bad enough the executive branch can wield professional armies with near-impunity; having private forces on hand (who are unbeholden to the constitution and/or UCMJ) could be very dangerous.

I still need to read the book, though.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Reviews that I read said that he wrote that the war on terror and US activities in the Middle East were good and just under Bush and bad and immoral under Obama, the latter being discovered only when he wanted to sell books and appear on talk shows.

Accurate?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Texas Red wrote:
Bob Wildes wrote:
Read the book Shaf.
I'll check it out, if only to get his perspective, especially since Jeremy Scahill has been skewering Prince for almost a decade. Gouging taxpayers is an important issue, but I'm most worried about the long-term implications of legitimizing private armies; historically, they tend to bode poorly for republican government. Loyalty could also be a problem.

If I remember correctly, Blackwater was "deployed" to New Orleans in the wake of Katrina, charged with subduing rabid locals and keeping the peace. That's all good and well when it's Americans (e.g., Marines), but considering the fact that some of those contractors were South Africans, Israelis, etc., it rubs me the wrong way. There is no circumstance in which the president should police U.S. citizens with armed foreigners.

In the back of my mind, I just have to wonder if the shift towards contractors is an inevitable (though regrettable) step in the evolution of our nation. We abandoned the draft (for good reason), and most Americans are utterly detached from the military and/or war(s) (no rationing, conscription, war taxation, etc.). I'm a rather pessimistic bastard who favors a cyclical view of history, so perhaps we're beginning the steady slide towards tyranny (or ochlocracy). It's bad enough the executive branch can wield professional armies with near-impunity; having private forces on hand (who are unbeholden to the constitution and/or UCMJ) could be very dangerous.

I still need to read the book, though.

That last paragraph seems to ring true.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Terry B. wrote:Reviews that I read said that he wrote that the war on terror and US activities in the Middle East were good and just under Bush and bad and immoral under Obama, the latter being discovered only when he wanted to sell books and appear on talk shows.

Accurate?
Not accurate in the least in my opinion.

I am currently reading "Master Of War", a 2009 book authored by Suzanne Simons. Only a bit over half way through the book. So far everything she mentions was also in Erik's book, but from a different perspective.

That said, Erik is most definitely a republican. He was not a fan of George H.W. Bush and many other republicans. In fact his opinions of politicians seemed strikingly like many on this board that tend to lump them somewhat all together.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Ok. I am reading it, Bob.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Check out the big brain on Red. And I meant that as a compliment.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Shapecharge wrote:Check out the big brain on Red. And I meant that as a compliment.
Except I can't read any of his damn posts without hearing Marty Robbins singing "Big Iron" in my head.
Tantum validus superstes