The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Rif
Gunny

Post by Rif »

while I have strong masochistic tendencies, GS is beyond me. All the respect to those that want to suffer like that but it aint for me.too much white fiber baby!
"it's all easy til it's heavy"

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Post by Renegade Doughboy »

Rif wrote:I'm not interested in being good at maximizing movement efficiency while maintaining as low a force output as possible.
I suppose you desire to get bad gas mileage, too.

That argument is silly.

Rif
Gunny

Post by Rif »

hardly. but going as easy as possible for each rep just doesnt interest me. after training for one rep maxes for 15 years its Hard Style for me! LOL!!

bangs
Recruit

Post by bangs »

Hahahahahah

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Rif wrote:hardly. but going as easy as possible for each rep just doesnt interest me. after training for one rep maxes for 15 years its Hard Style for me! LOL!!
Which way allows one to do more work?

That Hard Style is harder is not a virtue. It would also be harder on the engine of my SUV to drive around with the parking break on all the time. Hard Style is actually extremely inefficient and stupid. GS is like overdrive. Smooth and easy.

Anyway, dumbass, if a person does 200 jerks they aren't resting very much no matter which style they use. I would even hazard to say that the hard style "stud" wouldn't even get half way there.

The SSST is for pussies, too. Set the bell down? Puh-lease.

Regurgitate your party line poppycock over at DD. It ain't flyin' here.

Topic author
bill fox

Post by bill fox »

"my body stayin' vicious, I be up in the gym, just workin' on my fitness"

Fergie

Rif
Gunny

Post by Rif »

yeah tell that to Louie Simmons. Compensatory acceleration and maximizing total body tension are the keys if you want to get stronger and more powerful,rather than just more "endurant".

as far as what allows you to do more work, I would ask: more work per rep or per minute or what? max effort on each rep is going to produce more power and force per rep but since it works the more important white fibers they will fatigue faster.but then you just do another more productive set.Instead of just shifting into cruise mode.

"smooth and easy" I guess is what got you your big squat and press eh?I'd rather be as strong as possible.

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

The problem with GS for the hard style commandos is that repetition kettlebell lifting is too hard for them.

This is very obviously and true knowledge. That is why the Latvian Sellout had to come up with a name for his method that makes 20 reps something wonderful to achieve. I warm up with 20 reps.

Rif, how much can you squat, bench, deadlift, whatever now?

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

bill fox wrote:15k
3k of that is mine, fagboy

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes »

GS is hard. GS training is even harder. If anyone thinks that I look forward to my 8 minute + set of snatches that I've been doing 3-4 times a week, they are sorely mistaken. Then top it off with 24kg or 32kg swings...Fun times.

It ain't for everybody. But, the "efficient" thing gets blown out of proportion and people misconstrue it as easy. My technique isn't that efficient. The efficiency for me comes in learning to relax and not let my form break down. I liken it to just about any sport...The ability to relax under pressure will produce efficiency and is a worthwhile skill to learn.

CI

Topic author
bill fox

Post by bill fox »

I have to agree with my bitch RDB on the G.S. thing.

I've snatched the 24kg for 75/75 in 10:00 minutes and it's utter suffering. One requires the self loathing of RDB to put oneself through it for long. This is why Eastern Europians who wait in line for bread are good at it. 40/40 with the 32kg is even worse even though it only takes half as long.

On the other hand snatching the 40kg for 15x3/3 (an Eddie workout from before KBs sucked) is hard but fun.

There's a problem with Hardstyle that goes to the legitimate criticism of the KB/PTP thing. If you want Hardstyle do Oly lifting or PL where the load can be progressively increased. Basically Eddie's taping of weights to his KBs was an attempt to get around this problem. Doing a drill inefficiantly to make it harder is silly IMO. When you do G.S. you "get" KBs, but that doesn't mean you'll like it.
"my body stayin' vicious, I be up in the gym, just workin' on my fitness"

Fergie

Renegade Doughboy
Gunny

Bill,

Thank you for your kind words.

Self loathing is the path to enlightenment. To love one's self is to deny who one really is. One must learn to hate one's self if one wants to grow.

szczepan
Gunny

Post by szczepan »

I too must go on record as agreeing with the Doughboy on GS v. H@rdstyle but he is still a dickhead.

lopa
Gunny

Post by lopa »

I'm jumping on board with K, DB and Cate here. Nice reply Cate. I have a collection of -why I do GS- quotes in my training log so as to have an answer ready when it starts sucking horribly. I think that's got to get in there.
I'm upset I can't beat you to death with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Andy77
Lifetime IGer

Post by Andy77 »

Renegade Doughboy wrote:Bill,

Thank you for your kind words.

Self loathing is the path to enlightenment. To love one's self is to deny who one really is. One must learn to hate one's self if one wants to grow.
This is true knowledge. Until one gets perfect like me, self hate is the only true path to self love. Once you reach perfection and can love yourself, only then can you see the follies of GS and other such stupid shit.
Obama...'I burned your house down and saved you from slipping in the bathtub." ...Greg Gutfeld.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

GS is clearly for maniacs. See Lopa, CI, Agent K and the Renegade for proof.

"H@rdstyle" was hilarious.

And so was this: "snatching the 40kg for 15x3/3 (an Eddie workout from before KBs sucked)...."

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Garm wrote:
Renegade Doughboy wrote:I am pretty amazed that this thread has not been moved to the FS forum.
That only happens when it's about Sonnhole or Rooby Racie. No slippage.
I am happy to, but it seemed like this thread still had some pertinence to training...if you prefer, I will move it.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

BTW, can I get some credit for being the first to unmask the sheer lameness of the sport of girevoys?

20,000 is withing our grasp bitchos.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

I had to go back and read the original hard-style vs. GS thread, the one from which lopa's sig comes. The whole thread was good, 'Drey's quotes on page 4 are legendary.

viewtopic.php?t=2840&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

BTW DoughRag how'd the Xcountry KB meet last October go? Did the CW work out for you?
?

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Fat Cat wrote:if you prefer, I will move it.
Just to insert another tangent into this thread, AFAIR fucking around on the training forum was common place until just recently. Since Jack became moderator it seems to be a no no. I'm referring to wisecracks in a training thread as opposed to an off topic thread. Correct me if I'm wrong.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm »

Gav wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:if you prefer, I will move it.
Just to insert another tangent into this thread, AFAIR fucking around on the training forum was common place until just recently. Since Jack became moderator it seems to be a no no. I'm referring to wisecracks in a training thread as opposed to an off topic thread. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct, Rav, and the double standard is that the Roderators can but the rest of us Ran't.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

What's with the R? My last name ain't Gracie you know.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm »

As a student of communications theory, I'm interested in the coding rules. The obvious cases are just that, but what must a Gracie do if his son's name would normally start with a vowel or an R? RRodney and RRalph, Rlan, and Rdward?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It's fitting that your avatar is a bitch.