Kettlebell Simple & Sinister

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Kettlebell Simple & Sinister

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

It's not as bad as you think it is, but not as good as you hope it will be.

The swing and the Turkish get up...that's it. I guess the magic lies in his recommendations on how to program these lifts...frequent work, and medium volumes. Every two weeks you have a cock flogging session of high rep swings. Other than that, it's pretty much the party line we've all grown to know and love.

I dare say the three warm-up/mobility exercises and two stretching movements he shows are probably 95% of the mobility/flexibility/prehab/rehab that you will ever need. Religiously using them would likely add much quality to your life as you age, and take little time at all. These moves alone may be worth the price of admission.

Nothing earth shattering, but for me it was worth adding to the Kindle library.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Kettlebell Simple & Sinister

Post by Bram »

Thanks for the review
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Is S&S the old wine of ETK in a new bottle ? Seriously, I've been asked for some help by someone unconditioned to help them start exercising. I think I need to keep it real simple. (The sinister is not necessary.) I have a copy of ETK somewhere. Is S&S any different? Better ? Thanks.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

I'd rather shit and sit in it than buy a swings/TGU program

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Cayenne wrote:Is S&S the old wine of ETK in a new bottle ? Seriously, I've been asked for some help by someone unconditioned to help them start exercising. I think I need to keep it real simple. (The sinister is not necessary.) I have a copy of ETK somewhere. Is S&S any different? Better ? Thanks.
It's ETK 2.0.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Threw in Turkish Getups into my swing program yesterday. These guys can take a complex movement like a turkish get up and make it even more complex. Ever see Mahler do it? He makes it look so easy.

To me the simplicity of this workout is akin to running on a treadmill every day. One of the reasons I enjoy kettlebells so much is the variety of exercises you can do. This isn't for me.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

I'm enjoying the mindlessness of it. Body is feeling square and good.
Shitting and Sitting is the next book. Scat based training.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

TomFurman wrote: Shitting and Sitting is the next book. Scat based training.
Would have thought that would be more up Paul Chek's line.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

TomFurman wrote:I'm enjoying the mindlessness of it. Body is feeling square and good.
Shitting and Sitting is the next book. Scat based training.
There's a value to the mindlessness aspect. What am I doing today? Oh, yeah...swings and getups.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

milosz

Post by milosz »

Martone might be a cool dude but fuck selling shit on tacticoolness.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Just ordered it.And in a format that a book should be (paper and none of this kindle shit,that is just plain wrong reading a book that way).
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:
TomFurman wrote: Shitting and Sitting is the next book. Scat based training.
Would have thought that would be more up Paul Chek's line.
=D> =D> =D>
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Bobby wrote:Just ordered it.And in a format that a book should be (paper and none of this kindle shit,that is just plain wrong reading a book that way).
This is the way my mother in law laments about everyon sending emails and not writing letters anymore. You're gettin old, man.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Yes,I know.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

What was the original Program Minimum back in the first RKC book?

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Croatoa wrote:What was the original Program Minimum back in the first RKC book?
Twelve minutes of swings to a comfortable stop and twelve minutes of TGUs (different sessions, 3-6 days a week), IIRC.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

The original PM from the RKC book was snatches and side/bent presses. Replaced by TGU and swings/jogging in ETK.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I don't regret dropping the ten bucks for the Kindle copy but I can't say I got much out of it. I might be bored with all of it though. With that said, I was in Barnes & Noble last night and Steve Cotter has a new book that looks well done at a glance.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:I don't regret dropping the ten bucks for the Kindle copy but I can't say I got much out of it. I might be bored with all of it though. With that said, I was in Barnes & Noble last night and Steve Cotter has a new book that looks well done at a glance.
Kettleballz 4 Midgets?

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:The original PM from the RKC book was snatches and side/bent presses. Replaced by TGU and swings/jogging in ETK.
Yeah, I liked the original PM in the RKC book. I would probably replace the bent press with a regular standing press. Or at least alternate it.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

You should order their book on mastering the Van Dam lift.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:I don't regret dropping the ten bucks for the Kindle copy but I can't say I got much out of it. I might be bored with all of it though. With that said, I was in Barnes & Noble last night and Steve Cotter has a new book that looks well done at a glance.
Kettleballz 4 Midgets?

This is hilarious. You meant Angry Midgets.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

BFly wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Kettleballz 4 Midgets?

This is hilarious. You meant Angry Midgets.
Has Steve been out of the limelight over the past few months? Seems to have not heard much about what he's doing in the S&C/kookball world these days.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

I have the audio book. For the price, it doesn't even warrant a review; if you have any interest at all then buy the fucking thing. But here is a review anyway:

Pro's:

-minimalist programming is what most trainees need imo.
-exercise selection is about as good as it gets with the KB as your only implement
-details on form is very good; I've been using KB's since about 2001, and one of my training partners is an RKC, but I still picked up some new cues.
-emphasis on quality over quantity is a nice refresher.
-price is very good. I paid more for a pint of ale at my local pub than what I did for this.

Con's:

-the macho soundbites are tired. Some of the 'strongman' talk is disingenuous too; you are not going to get very strong doing this, even if you work up to the 44 kilo bells. Yeah you'll dick on most recreational joggers or couch potatoes, but a cycle of deadlifts and squats would make you much stronger, much quicker. I think he'd have been better off selling this as a general health/longevity type product, as this is what I think it is.

-Simplicity is great, but you have to be honest about the limitations of a program like this. You wont make huge physique improvements unless your diet is nailed down, and you certainly wont be ready to take out the local scrote in a street fight unless you already have some fighting aptitude. These kinds of silly claims weaken the product.

-the descriptions of the stretches need a visual imo. Perhaps for some the KB exercises may do too, but they were familiar to me so playing Pavel's description while I did them was actually very useful.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard