Fitbit Flex

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Fitbit Flex

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Pretty cool device. Got one for Christmas, had the initial, "WTF is this?" then saw it tracks sleep and such and it's pretty useful. I see things like more restless sleep if I screw around with bed times too much.

It can also track baseline activity level (need to log workouts, obviously, but tracks walking), and the web iPhone/android or browser interface lets you log all kinds of stuff.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

emac437
Sarge

Re: Fitbit Flex

Post by emac437 »

My wife asked for one for Christmas and Santa provided. She is really digging it and was never to into fitness stuff before. Now she like how it can be used as a baseline for how much she's moving and really likes the sleep tracking as well. She combines it with MyFitnessPal app for tracking calories.

Only complaint is it isn't 100% accurate, but once you realize it's best for just tracking trends and patterns you can get the full benefit.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Anal probe?
Don’t believe everything you think.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

nafod wrote:Anal probe?
I'm sure you can get one for yourself anytime.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The Crawdaddy wrote:
nafod wrote:Anal probe?
I'm sure you can get one for yourself anytime.
Sounds like Santa++

"It knows when you've been sleeping, it knows when you're awake,it records on a NSA-monitored database so be good for goodness sake."
Don’t believe everything you think.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Yeah this kind of shit is creepy. It wouldn't be hard for some third world ingrate to hijack your wi-fi and recalibrate your sleep monitor. Fuck up your diurnals. Screw with your brain chemistry. Probably have you plotting your own demise within a week.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

How does this thing "track sleep?"

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

seeahill wrote:How does this thing "track sleep?"
Probably the same way you can track sleep with an iPhone or Android app. The Fitbit (or your phone) is capable of detecting movement.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Pinky wrote:
Probably the same way you can track sleep with an iPhone or Android app. The Fitbit (or your phone) is capable of detecting movement.
So can a seismograph.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

emac437
Sarge

Post by emac437 »

Pinky wrote:
Basically this. Hit a button when you go to bed, again when you wake up to determine the time you were "sleeping." Mostly it tracks the movements you make while sleeping to determine how many times you were disturbed and giving you an idea of the quality of sleep.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

It's a movement tracker. You tap it x times when you go to bed and wake up, and it measures how long it takes you to fall asleep, and how much you move around (or wake up) when sleeping. You can also send a wake-up alarm to it, and it'll vibrate to wake you up, which is nice given my wife and I don't get up at the same time.

So far, I've found I sleep more soundly if I keep my bed-time pretty consistent. After a late NYE, my January 2nd sleep (the day after, not day of) was restless, and I felt crappy the next day. Not bad feedback to have.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.