Heart

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Heart

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

BucketHead wrote:Is he a white kid?
ummm...We're talking about swimming...so...
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

climber511 wrote:It sounds like when they were passing out talents this kid got
Size - small
Athletic Ability - just enough to not drown
Guts - a bunch

Good on him.
Yep and with time he can build his body and better his skills and be a winner in many things in ife. Shit Hit s The Fan and I would rather have one guy with a lot of heart on my side than 3 talented but heartless gits.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

BucketHead wrote:Is he a white kid?
Yes. If it wasn't wrong and down right rude; I'd take a picture of the kid or video of the kid swimming.

There is only one black kid on the team and true to stereotype, he's slow as shit.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Bats, you should keep tabs on this kid and see where he is in 10 years.

He might grow, he might build himself up and he already had guts.

I bet it would tickle you to no end to find out in a few years he's a Lt. in the 75th Infantry.

Audey Murphy was runt and look what he did.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

DARTH wrote:Bats, you should keep tabs on this kid and see where he is in 10 years.

He might grow, he might build himself up and he already had guts.

I bet it would tickle you to no end to find out in a few years he's a Lt. in the 75th Infantry.

Audey Murphy was runt and look what he did.
One never knows, but this kid would have to have one hell of a growth spurt. This kid makes Audey Murphy look like Conan the Barbarian.

As long as this kid is on the swim team, it shouldn't be that hard to follow his progression.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

So update us on the guy. And your kid, too.

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

This thread started out well and it's just shit now. Total SHIT.
It's great to be first at last

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

tough old man wrote:Sounds like you got a good kid there.

Yes I do. He's a better scholar and athlete than I ever was in HS.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

I Went to another swim meet tonight. Our little "Steve Rogers" was there as usual. Damn that kid has heart! It blows me away that this kid gets up there in front of at least hundred people and swims like a spaz. Not as a clown or as an object of pitty. Just a kid that wants to test himself.

What I love about individual team sports (like swim) is that it has one of the best balances between participation and acknowledging winners. There are no trophies or official accolades for "Steve". No participation, we are all winners trophy. He reward is being allowed to swim, to compete. In "Steve's" case, his competition is " Steve". Trust me, "Steve" isn't really competing against the other swimmers. "Steve" has bigger fish the fry.

If "Steve" was to go out for football, basketball (or even Wrestling) he wouldn't get to compete. Maybe a couple of plays. That is just the facts of how the sports are organized. There is nothing wrong with this system. There are life lessons in going to football practice or wrestling practice 4 days a week, not making the cut, riding the pine and maybe only getting in a couple of plays. It teaches these young men that life is hard and sometimes life is unfair. It also teaches them the answer is always stoic hard work and sportsmanship.

My brother had a football coach that hated him and would play him as sparringly as possible. My brother thought it was unfair. My father thought it was unfair. However my father never interfered by talking to the coach. He told my brother, that under no circumstances was he to complain or quit. The answer was digging in deaper and working harder. Make it apparent though grit and hard work the coach was wrong. Maybe the coach would change his mind or maybe he wouldn't. To my father, sports was about teaching young boys how to be men. Getting to play was just an added benefit.

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Interesting.

Depending on the age of the kids, the lessons to be taught by sport and the correct aims of a coach differ. For under 14s, the aim should be maximum participation, skill development and keeping as many kids interested and involved as possible. This is enlightened self interest for the sport - kids develop at different speeds. Keep them all there rather than trying other sports.

Over 14 it can start to be more about competition and winning. There's a bit more latitude to have it reflect real life with its exclusions and frustrations.

Society loses out when idiot coaches try to apply overage tactics to underage games. That's ego. You end up with a few kids who benefit (bu may tire of the sport from burnout) and more kids who turn from something they stop enjoying. Underage soccer in The Netherlands is the best example I can see. They concentrate solely on skills development. Everyone is involved. The aim is to keep them all involved as long as possible and give scope for truly excellent foundation skills and fitness. That's smart. In Britain, football at underage level is usually more about a frustrated "coach" living out his frustrated lack of achievement through being ridiculously over the top.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Gorbachev wrote:Interesting.

Depending on the age of the kids, the lessons to be taught by sport and the correct aims of a coach differ. For under 14s, the aim should be maximum participation, skill development and keeping as many kids interested and involved as possible. This is enlightened self interest for the sport - kids develop at different speeds. Keep them all there rather than trying other sports.

Over 14 it can start to be more about competition and winning. There's a bit more latitude to have it reflect real life with its exclusions and frustrations.

Society loses out when idiot coaches try to apply overage tactics to underage games. That's ego. You end up with a few kids who benefit (bu may tire of the sport from burnout) and more kids who turn from something they stop enjoying. Underage soccer in The Netherlands is the best example I can see. They concentrate solely on skills development. Everyone is involved. The aim is to keep them all involved as long as possible and give scope for truly excellent foundation skills and fitness. That's smart. In Britain, football at underage level is usually more about a frustrated "coach" living out his frustrated lack of achievement through being ridiculously over the top.

In the United States we either have over the top ass hat coaches that think they are coaching the Dallas Cowboys or pussy liberal douchebags that want no scoring, ties, and everyone gets "I'm a winner" trophy. It's not majority of coaches or programs, but there are enough of the before mentioned ass hats that it's noticeable to the casual observer.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I coach U13 volleyball at the Y right now. I used to coach U19 girls rugby.

In both sports the first two things were:

1. Learn fundamentals
2. Learn teamwork and sportsmanship

In U13 Volleyball, everyone rotates in, the starting 6 change each time. Having fun and using your skills is emphasized.
In U19 Rugby, starters were those who made practices, if you missed a practice, you didn't start, period. Improving your performance was my first emphasis, winning was my second.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Youth Hockey is a broken subculture, and this article does a good job of outlining why.

http://www.getsportiq.com/2013/11/early ... th-hockey/
Today’s hockey culture is damaging youth hockey players’ futures and putting the integrity of our game at risk. Year-round training schedules for the youngest hockey players and the pressure to always do more is not only harming young skaters emotionally and academically, but also athletically. Yet, we are constantly told the opposite. Many have argued that early specialization in hockey is required to become elite. They couldn’t be more wrong.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Kids are all about competition without parent's or coach's help. Going out free skiing with my son, he is well aware of who has skills and who doesn't. Kids hanging out in the terrain park quickly establish a pecking order. Just like the break at Bram's surf spots.

But they also let everyone have their shot, and cheer each other on if some beginner pulls off a trick. Self-regulating without adult involvement. I love the park rats.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Bats, if you have not already done so, you may wish to consider acknowledging Steve Rogers directly for the qualities you've praised here. A few words from you, with your military, athletic and business-world experience, could mean a great deal to him.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Cayenne wrote:Bats, if you have not already done so, you may wish to consider acknowledging Steve Rogers directly for the qualities you've praised here. A few words from you, with your military, athletic and business-world experience, could mean a great deal to him.
Hooker. That's all I'm saying.

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Cayenne, that's a great idea. Bats, have a word in his shell-like and report back on perceived impact. Mucho gracias.

kupp
Staff Sergeant

Post by kupp »

Bats-great story. Reminds me of a girl that I ran track with. She was middle/long distance and dead last four years running and often the other runners fully recovered till she finished. Yep and the coach gave her a varsity letter only in her senior year back when there was no "everyone is a winner" mentality.

Teddy Roosevelt if memory serves was a sickly youth but stuck with working out and became a very driven determined guy that won at things later in life.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

My oldest moved during her sophomore year to a big school. Ran cross country although never more than a recreational runner before. No cut sport here in Texas. Just kept going to practices and running PRs although never close to running in top 4 or 5 groups. Junior year had leg pain. Docs no help. Chiro i trust discovered almost dislocated foot and suspected stress fracture. Right on both counts. Thought that was it for her, but she said no way. Coach let her do bike for training and just run in meets. Kept running painful PRs, never scored and never lettered.

College Essay was about this experience. Got in everywhere. When things aren't going well we always talk about if you can run through a stress fracture you can keep going at anything else.

Relentlessness is a pretty damn good thing to take away from high school sports.

My son, who just signed to play College baseball and was a second team all district RB, is not in her category when it comes to relentlessness.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

powerlifter54 wrote:My oldest moved during her sophomore year to a big school. Ran cross country although never more than a recreational runner before. No cut sport here in Texas. Just kept going to practices and running PRs although never close to running in top 4 or 5 groups. Junior year had leg pain. Docs no help. Chiro i trust discovered almost dislocated foot and suspected stress fracture. Right on both counts. Thought that was it for her, but she said no way. Coach let her do bike for training and just run in meets. Kept running painful PRs, never scored and never lettered.

College Essay was about this experience. Got in everywhere. When things aren't going well we always talk about if you can run through a stress fracture you can keep going at anything else.

Relentlessness is a pretty damn good thing to take away from high school sports.

My son, who just signed to play College baseball and was a second team all district RB, is not in her category when it comes to relentlessness.
Great story as well, JR.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Cayenne wrote:Bats, if you have not already done so, you may wish to consider acknowledging Steve Rogers directly for the qualities you've praised here. A few words from you, with your military, athletic and business-world experience, could mean a great deal to him.
That is one idea to ponder.

My concerns

1) I don't want it to be about me.

2) I don't want him to feel like he is being singled out.

I think a better idea is contacting some of my contacts with the 75th Ranger Regiment and or Ranger organizations and finding a young guy that they would relate to. I can approach the Swim team coach with the idea of having some young combat vets talk to the team etc. The message can be crafted to resonate with "Steve Rogers" and the guys like him.
Last edited by Batboy2/75 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
That one idea to ponder.

My concerns

I think a better idea is contacting some of my contacts with the 75th Ranger Regiment and or Ranger organizations and finding a young guy that they would relate to. I can approach the Swim team coach with the idea of having some young combat vets talk to the team etc. The message can be crafted to resonate with "Steve Rogers" and the guys like him.
=D>
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
That one idea to ponder.

My concerns

Your idea probably is better. Still, even given concerns #s 1 & 2, I think a small dose of sincere compliment could be very potent, w/o overdoing it. Even a simple, "Hey Steve, I've noticed you at the meets and I must say, your work ethic and drive are very impressive. Keep it up." I mean, how often does this guy get an attaboy ? Sounds like he's earned it, that's all. (I can remember certain compliments I received from friends' parents from my childhood, ~45 years ago, and they still make me smile when I think of it.) Anyway, you are in a much better position to judge it, so good luck with the Ranger speaker idea and your kids' sports efforts.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Cayenne wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:
That one idea to ponder.

My concerns

Your idea probably is better. Still, even given concerns #s 1 & 2, I think a small dose of sincere compliment could be very potent, w/o overdoing it. Even a simple, "Hey Steve, I've noticed you at the meets and I must say, your work ethic and drive are very impressive. Keep it up." I mean, how often does this guy get an attaboy ? Sounds like he's earned it, that's all. (I can remember certain compliments I received from friends' parents from my childhood, ~45 years ago, and they still make me smile when I think of it.) Anyway, you are in a much better position to judge it, so good luck with the Ranger speaker idea and your kids' sports efforts.
Yep. I think an "awesome job" comment is all it would take. Maybe a "You've got as much courage as an Army Ranger" comment. Shorter is better. He'll never forget it.

That, and the hooker.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

nafod wrote:
Cayenne wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:
That one idea to ponder.

My concerns

Yep. I think an "awesome job" comment is all it would take. Maybe a "You've got as much courage as an Army Ranger" comment. Shorter is better. He'll never forget it.

That, and the hooker.
I have this thing against being arrested, tried convicted for the delinquency of a minor.